Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Enjoying a sixer of DFH 60 min :-)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

ive had 3 KBL Pale Ales and now im onto my homebrewed Orval clone

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Just finished off an AleSmith IPA, picked up on a recent trip to Arizona. Sadly, it had that taste of old hops. No freshness date anywhere on the bottle - argh. It's supposed to be a world class drink, but this wasn't.

I think I am going to start becoming fresh-obsessed on my IPAs. It seems to make a world of difference to my palate. I've had some amazing, incredible Stone IPAs - along with some that are barely meh. I'm guessing it all comes down to freshness.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Can't beat fresh hops!

Having a Rogue Hazelnut.....

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

sstackho wrote:Just finished off an AleSmith IPA, picked up on a recent trip to Arizona. Sadly, it had that taste of old hops. No freshness date anywhere on the bottle - argh. It's supposed to be a world class drink, but this wasn't.

I think I am going to start becoming fresh-obsessed on my IPAs. It seems to make a world of difference to my palate. I've had some amazing, incredible Stone IPAs - along with some that are barely meh. I'm guessing it all comes down to freshness.
Fresh Alesmith IPA is stunning - makes Stone IPA cry like a whiny little bitch. Keep trying for some, you'll be happy.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Garthicus wrote:Can't beat fresh hops!

Having a Rogue Hazelnut.....
I had that too! Does anyone know why it has small pictures of a bull and a pig on the side? Does it taste so good because it contains bacon?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Bobsy wrote:I had that too! Does anyone know why it has small pictures of a bull and a pig on the side? Does it taste so good because it contains bacon?
I think (and could be wildly wrong) that all the Rogue beers have some kind of animal on the label, whether pig, cow, chicken or fish, and this indicates the sort of meat dish with which that particular beer pairs well.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Somewhat enjoying some Holsten Pils right now. The bottom of the can says '10 2008', which I was hoping was the born on date, but alas, it seems to be the best before date. Seems to be OK, but it definitely leaves a lot to be desired, granted, it is Holsten after all.

I noticed six-packs of Czechvar though, which was a pretty encouraging site. The BS never used to sell Czechvar, and the additional new format almost makes me think it sells well enough. I'm kind of wishing I'd gone for the sixer of my beloved Budvar, but I thought something new would be in order.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jesse, little brother we must educate you on the ways of Holsten beers - they are only good two months BEFORE they are made. I have no idea what you were expecting buying a Holsten product when almost any other German product (such as Gerolsteiner Sprudel, or an Audi) would certainly taste more like beer.

I will pause this brow-beating (for now) to say I have today enjoyed Orval '04, Southern Tier IPA, new Fullers 1845 and am now reaching for a Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale (It makes me feel very Michael Meyers but in a non-slasher kind of way.)

My continuing, stupidly hopeful research in Aussie reds (Lucky Country 2006 Shiraz) has only convinced me that Australian products are for clueless fruit-bomb freaks who enjoy drinking the wine equivalent of a melted popsicle. And I'm being kindly generous in my assessment. I hope the Margaret River Ringbolt Cabernet has more of a reason to exist... will report back!!
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Belgian wrote:Jesse, little brother we must educate you on the ways of Holsten beers - they are only good two months BEFORE they are made. I have no idea what you were expecting buying a Holsten product when almost any other German product (such as Gerolsteiner Sprudel, or an Audi) would certainly taste more like beer.
Well I'd never had it before and I do like to try most beers at least once. I can't be a ratings whore right now though, what with RB being down. Double whammy. Meh, at least the can looks kind of cool, I guess. If the BS actually carried either of the products you mentioned I wouldn't think twice about picking them over something I know is a macro, albeit a German macro.

On a completely unrelated note, I saw Passchendaele tonight. I'd recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in the First World War, or Canadian history. It's got a love story and maybe just one or two mildly hokey parts, but it's still pretty solid. Very intense and well done, moving in the end too. I'm a history nerd so I'm obligated to see these kinds of movies :P.
Last edited by JesseM on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:My continuing, stupidly hopeful research in Aussie reds (Lucky Country 2006 Shiraz) has only convinced me that Australian products are for clueless fruit-bomb freaks who enjoy drinking the wine equivalent of a melted popsicle. And I'm being kindly generous in my assessment. I hope the Margaret River Ringbolt Cabernet has more of a reason to exist... will report back!!

Let's not get too hasty here :)... The same can be said for people who enjoy Nero D'avola, Amarone della Valpolicella, Valpolicella Ripasso, and even straight Corvina, Rondilella, or perhaps a bountiful Sangiovese. These wines all have potential to pack an ass kicking of fruity goodness.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:My continuing, stupidly hopeful research in Aussie reds (Lucky Country 2006 Shiraz) has only convinced me that Australian products are for clueless fruit-bomb freaks who enjoy drinking the wine equivalent of a melted popsicle. And I'm being kindly generous in my assessment. I hope the Margaret River Ringbolt Cabernet has more of a reason to exist... will report back!!
Then stop buying cheap sugar rich Ozzie reds then. Spend some decent wads of cash and get a decent red from Down Under. Your analogy is like buying Keith's and expecting a world class IPA because that is what the marketing describes. Don't be so cheap ;-)

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Had an 07 magnum of Chimay Blue last night...to go along with the Leafs thrashing of the Habs.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

st unearthly. makes for a good after dinner beer

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

LondonBeer wrote:st unearthly. makes for a good after dinner beer
Just one?

Wimp.