Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Though like I said, stuff comes in early all the time.
"Early" doesn't really apply to a beer due to be released more than five weeks ago. Seasonal or limited release stuff frequently does make it to store shelves before a scheduled release date for a myriad of reasons I won't go in to here...but even those shipments are tracked. If you're suggesting that stuff makes it's way out of the warehouse without the folks who administer shipping from that warehouse knowing about it then you do indeed have some interesting information. Tell me more.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

UPDATE: Fullers 1845 has finally been liberated from warehouse bond hell. Inventory is already available in the Ottawa area (what's with them getting everything first?) and selected other regions. Expect it to hit most of the larger GTA stores by the weekend.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

[quote="Jon Walker"]UPDATE: Fullers 1845 has finally been liberated from warehouse bond hell. Inventory is already available in the Ottawa area [b](what's with them getting everything first?)[/b] and selected other regions. Expect it to hit most of the larger GTA stores by the weekend.[/quote]

There are a few things we get first, but for the most part we have to wait at least a week before the new releases appear in Ottawa.

And then there is the Wee Heavy and the Koningshoeven Triple which look like they are never going to appear in eastern Ontario. It is in those cases that I wonder if the LCBO should be renamed the LCBT.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

If you're in Ottawa, the LCBO on Rideau, and the Orleans one both have the Koningshoeven on order. But if you really want some just ask a store manager to order you some! Rideau store is particularly good at helping me get beer in! :)

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I think we're pretty spoiled in Ottawa for the seasonals. We get just about everything at Rideau, Orleans and both bank street locations. Not only that but we have less hoarders I think so there's never the need to sleep outside the LCBO. I just picked up the 1845 and the SP Cream Stout. Orleans has their Chimay gift packs out. Still loads of Rogue hazelnut and Adnams too, I should pick some more up!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Thanks for the heads up. The west side of the city can be hit and miss. I'd love for the Rideau store to move a little closer :)

flip

Post by flip »

FYI: The LCBO at Cloverdale Mall in Etobicoke had it in stock this evening.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Good to hear Rideau is getting some Koningshoeven. I still have a few from the SAQ 2007 gift pack, but it will be nice to stock up again.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The Westmalle is amazing! For me, this is the best beer of this release. It looks like heaven in the glass, and has a wonderful spiciness from the yeast that gives it that beautiful Belgian flavour.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I am starting to think that the Westmalle is one of the best dubbels I have had in terms of balance.

While I find a lot of dubbles are sweet, usually overly so, the westmalle is sweet but balanced by spices, heavy hopping and a yeasty funk.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I am starting to think that the Westmalle is one of the best dubbels I have had in terms of balance.

While I find a lot of dubbles are sweet, usually overly so, the westmalle is sweet but balanced by spices, heavy hopping and a yeasty funk.

ive had the Westmalle dubble 4 times now and i find it quite rough and brash. its really lacking the soft subtle complexity i find in other examples (Chimay, Ommegang). that being said im looking forward to seeing it progress in the cellar.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I am starting to think that the Westmalle is one of the best dubbels I have had in terms of balance.

ive had the Westmalle dubble 4 times now and i find it quite rough and brash. its really lacking the soft subtle complexity i find in other examples (Chimay, Ommegang). that being said im looking forward to seeing it progress in the cellar.

It is rough and brash, but that it was I like about it. I am starting to move away from Dubbels that are diabetic sugar bombs, towards ones that are hoppier and have almost a metallic edge to them.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I polished off 5 of them at the only bar in Sudbury with decent beer selection. Its all stuff I can buy myself at the L.C.B.O or TBS..... but its better than nothing. I think they were charging $7 something a bottle, not sure why but it was definitely worth every penny (that night anyways :wink: )

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Westmalle Dubbel simply carries over some of the character of the Tripel in my opinion. You could say it's a slightly rough quality. These are beers with real identity. My past-expiry WM Dubbel is still very tasty.
In Beerum Veritas

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

So, given the list, what's everyone's favorite and 'beer I was looking forward to but didn't really do it for me'?
Monty Python Holy Grail Ale (4.70% - $3.45/500ml - LCBO 894048)
Burton Porter (4.50% - $3.85/500ml - LCBO 926162)
Harvey's Porter 1859 (4.80% - $3.95/500ml - LCBO 55400)
Belhaven Wee Heavy (6.50% - $3.50/500ml - LCBO 698977)
Fuller's 1845 (6.30% - $3.50/500ml - LCBO 504670)
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar (6.20% - $5.75/650ml - LCBO #TBA)
Koningshoeven Triple Ale (8.00% - $6.95/750ml - LCBO 86934)
Westmalle Dubbel (7.00% - $3.25/330ml -LCBO 676965)
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout (7.00% - $3.95/550ml - LCBO 676023)
St Peter's Cream Stout (6.50% - $3.75/500ml - LCBO #TBA)
Adnams Broadside (6.30% - $2.90/500ml - LCBO 88641)
Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal Stout (5.00% - $3.95/650ml - LCBO 54106)
Erdinger Dunkel (5.60% - $3.05/500ml - LCBO 574236)