Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wychwood Bah Humbug

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

tuqueboy wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:I enjoyed this stuff a lot last year.
wow. and here i thought you only liked stuff that was 90 IBUs or higher :wink:
Haha, not at all my good fellow! :wink:

It seems I'm on the short end of the stick when it came to enjoying this brew though. :P

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

At the risk of becoming a pariah, I enjoy Wychwood brews and especially enjoyed this one. I find them all really sessionable and enjoy the sweet malt character they all share. I spent alot of time in the British Isles tasting ales and Wychwood brews emerged as some of my favourites. To each their own I guess.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I generally like the Wychwood brews that the LCBO has brought in other than the Black Wych Stout. I can usually think of one or two similar beers that are better than the Wychwood ones like the Humbug vs Black Oak's Nutcracker, but when I want a slew of British Ales, usually the Wychwood brews are in the mix.
lister

Duffey

Post by Duffey »

Just had a Bah Humbug last night with some sticky toffee cake-type dessert. This was really good, just the right amount of cinnamon on the nose and a good dose of it on the tongue once it warmed. And not that it really matters much, but the deep, vibrant ruby/brown colour with the off-white head was the best-looking pint I've seen in a while. Cinnamon and other spiced beers are some of my favourites (Sam Adams Old Fezziwig is a good one if you want a lot of cinnamon.) I imagine that Nutcracker is more roasty/burnt than this?

Vet_Fuel

Post by Vet_Fuel »

I was pleasanly surprised by this beer, and I think it would make a pretty good ('cause of the label) non-intimidating beer gift this xmas for the adventurous macro swiller on your list.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

I bought way too much of it last year and burned myself out on it. I took a case to our xmas party to share and after the night there were 3 or 4 left over. They've been at my in-laws ever since. I might crack them open on xmas eve, but I'm done buying it.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Resurrecting this thread as this beer is back for another round.

I'm pleasantly surprised by my sample.. I was expecting it to taste like a Christmas tree and a fruit cake run through the wood chipper. But the cinnamon spice levels they've implemented are actually quite nice. There is some sweet malts, not a lot of hops, it's fairly one dimensional, the mouth feel as mentioned is watery but you know what.. it sort of works despite this. Not bad for an impulse novelty pick up.

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

If it's anything like last year, too much cinnamon for me--totally one dimensional. Although I must admit (speaking of flavoured beers), I also found the Rogue hazelnut boring. I suppose I don't much like beers that have a really prominent added flavouring. Not one to fuss overly much about my own contradictions, now I'm off to pick up a case of the B.D. Cherry Porter.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

I disliked this when I tried it two years ago. Thin body, too much cinnamon, and it made me sneeze. (Seriously. :P) Given the strength of the other current offerings (and the weakness of my bank account), I won't be trying it again this year.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

This one was alright, enjoyable, though I doubt I'll ever buy it again. The fruity sweetness is borderline annoying after a while.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

Mmmm, the Ashtray Bear.

Had two bottles a couple of years ago. One was wonderfully cinnamonny and spicy, the other tasted like i imagine drinking an ashtray would taste like (ie most unpleasant).

Its a shame, because if they all tasted like the good one, this would be an enjoyable beer.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

The flavour profile seems to be more balanced compared to a year ago, it's more along the lines of where it was in 2006. Its fitting for the winter. Note for GTA folks: hang onto yours for a couple months, winter should arrive down there sometime in january or so...