Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Texas Beers: Spoetzl, Real Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

denguy

Texas Beers: Spoetzl, Real Ale

Post by denguy »

I went to Texas last week and managed to get away with only having to drink one Bud Lite.

While there, I bought six-packs of the following:
Spoetzl Brewery
Shiner Helles, Shiner Bock, Shiner Black Lager

Everyone seemed to stick with the Bock, I found it a bit pedestrian, but not awful. The Black had a roasted, carmel taste with too much carbonation for me. I enjoyed the Helles as it was easy to drink, but there was something about the flovour that I couldn't put my finger on.

Real Ale Brewery
Rio Blanco Pale Ale, Brewhouse Brown Ale, Full Moon Pale Rye Ale

The Brewhouse is a very nice English brown ale with a chocolate taste--burnt, or roasted, or toasted and maybe a mild bitter taste. The Blanco wasn't my fav--had a funny after-taste that didn't make me want more. The Pale Rye was their star--a spicy taste with a nice, dry finish. I really lack the experience to fully describe this one, but I really enjoyed it.

If these were available up here, I'd pick up the Brewhouse Brown often and I'd make the Full Moon Pale Rye a staple of mine.

Anyone else ever had these?