Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Koningshoeven Quad

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Koningshoeven Quad

Post by JesseM »

Wow. Sipping on this right now, what a beer! I've enjoyed the other Quads I've had, though was mildly underwhelmed by the style that is so often held in such high esteem amongst us beer geeks. But the complexities, and subtleties, and deliciousies (okay that's not actually word) of this have blown my freaking mind. Even despite the price and my current 'uncertain' financial circumstances I plan on buying some more to both put away and enjoy for the rest of the season.

Thanks for getting this included in the release whichever agent did so!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote: Thanks for getting [Koningshoeven Quad] included in the release whichever agent did so!
Go, Esprit.

Indeed this was one of the most mind-blowing 'first beer experiences' and I think everyone should drink several bottles at once.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Belgian wrote:...and I think everyone should drink several bottles at once.
...but through a funnel. Safety first people.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Belgian wrote: Go, Esprit.

Indeed this was one of the most mind-blowing 'first beer experiences' and I think everyone should drink several bottles at once.
um, this is one trappist which isn't esprit. it's premier, which also reps fuller's and some other pretty solid brands.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

tuqueboy wrote: um, this is one trappist which isn't esprit. it's premier...
Ahh yes... the famed maker of rock drum kits.

I wonder if the Koningshoeven Trappists know they are not in Belgium? They don't get out much so I was wondering that.
In Beerum Veritas

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Belgian wrote:

I wonder if the Koningshoeven Trappists know they are not in Belgium? They don't get out much so I was wondering that.
and asking for directions is a little tough, what with the vow of silence and all

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

tuqueboy wrote:
Belgian wrote:

and asking for directions is a little tough, what with the vow of silence and all
Hahahahaha :lol: . That's hilarious. No one ever had the heart to let them know some how what country they're actually in :P.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

OMG what a great brew. i will have to post again when sober but oh my im speechless at the moment......not a bad thing either

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Great beer, but I've been a little underwhelmed by it the couple times I've had it on tap. Somehow it didn't measure up all that well to some of the other quads out there. However, I feel Belgian beers should always be consumed in bottle form, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Now I just need to clear some space in the fridge...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The fruit profile in this Quad is a sort of a tangy apple-butter & deep, dried fruit flavor combo, and the rich feel with the high alchohol makes it a true sipper worthy of a snifter or tulip glass. It is a freak show of 'awesome.'
In Beerum Veritas

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Bobsy, I also had their tripel on tap and was somewhat underwhelmed. I didn't buy any in the bottle, but I'm excited to try the quad given all of the reviews. The quad definitly scored higher on RB than the tripel. Heh, funny, you guys are all of the most recent reviewers there.
Mat

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Belgian wrote:The fruit profile in this Quad is a sort of a tangy apple-butter & deep, dried fruit flavor combo, and the rich feel with the high alchohol makes it a true sipper worthy of a snifter or tulip glass. It is a freak show of 'awesome.'
can i still this quote from you, it made me spit coffee on my screen :lol:

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

This beer is way to smooth to have this much alcohol. What a treat!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I suspect Dutch brewing tech has something to do with the smooth approachability of this "trappist?" ale made by Bavaria. Mellow bodies and smooth finishes seem to be a signature of this modern dutch brewer and that has obviously transfered to the Koningshoeven contract.

I was amazed at how well this Quad hid its alcohol strength and the sugars used to make it had a defused and not sharp or acidic character like you usually get in a typical young Belgian strong ale that uses candi sugars for strength.

I also like the dark bocks and Viennas and even lagers coming from Dutch brewers these days for the same reasons....smooth cold conditioned taste
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

pootz wrote: I was amazed at how well this Quad hid its alcohol strength and the sugars used to make it had a defused and not sharp or acidic character like you usually get in a typical young Belgian strong ale that uses candi sugars for strength.
Hey there Brite Tank Boy. You know it's funny - the label on Koningshoeven Quadrupel only states the four traditional ingredients of beer, not kandi sugar. Hard to believe for a ten percent-er, innit? :D I'm not disagreeing with your general tasting assessment, just mentioning what is printed on the bottle.
In Beerum Veritas