Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Garthicus wrote:Great Lakes Winter Ale then Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale and now a Bah Humbug
How's the Sierra Nevada? I passed up on it and grabbed the Alesmith, but I may hit Buffalo again shortly after the Holidays.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Pretty decent, it's my first time trying it and it's pretty good!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Great Lakes Winter Ale, 2007 John By (still excellent), and an Anchor Liberty Ale to finish the night.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Last night I had the misfortune of going to Hoops at an old friend's request. Thankfully they have Tankhouse on tap, but unfortunately it is served so cold and in to such a cold glass that ice began to form.

Wow.

:roll:

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Bobsy wrote:Last night I had the misfortune of going to Hoops at an old friend's request. Thankfully they have Tankhouse on tap, but unfortunately it is served so cold and in to such a cold glass that ice began to form.

Wow.

:roll:
Exact same experience at Phil's BBQ. Like drinking a Tankhouse slushie (not entirely a bad thing...)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

velovampire wrote: Exact same experience at Phil's BBQ. Like drinking a Tankhouse slushie (not entirely a bad thing...)
I've always wanted to get down to Phil's, ever since I saw it on Restaurant makeover (I don't know why that show lures me in like a car-accident).

Too bad they don't have the brews like Slow's in Michigan, or Dix in BC.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Anchor Steam - highly quaffable, and a great beer to introduce friends to who think all American beers suck.

After this, cracking open a bottle of Rancourt 2004 Meritage to have with my spaghetti dinner
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Derek wrote:
velovampire wrote: Exact same experience at Phil's BBQ. Like drinking a Tankhouse slushie (not entirely a bad thing...)
I've always wanted to get down to Phil's, ever since I saw it on Restaurant makeover (I don't know why that show lures me in like a car-accident).

Too bad they don't have the brews like Slow's in Michigan, or Dix in BC.
Go, go, go!!! Really good (though I'm no BBQ expert). Aside from iced Tankhouse, the only other tap they have (I think) is Amsterdumb Bland. Not great, but if you order a Tank straight away and let it sit for a few minutes while your food is prepared, 'sall good.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

tonight ive had a Upper Canada Dark, a Koningshoeven Quad and now im onto a homebrewed Irish Red.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

In my quest to revisit all my old haunts around U of T I hit up O'Grady's last night with my Japanese visitor. I had Nickelbrook Lager for the first time. Its not an impressive beer, but at $10 for a pitcher there isn't really much room for complaint.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Last night I relaxed with some Koningshoeven Quad (a third of the local supply now lives in my cellar) and followed that with some 2006 Chimay Bleue, which, at over two years age is goddamn regal. I'm gonna enjoy those cases of Chimay over the very long run I think. :) It would be fun to compare fresh and aged versions, this Chimay and Trois Pistoles together.

The Koningshoeven while good still needs, like all ales of the style, a little time to bottle-ferment those over-ripe tropical fruit esters and subtle spice tones. THAT I am definitely looking forward to, and will stock some Tripel because it ages well too.

As for the Eggenberg Doppelbock, that will keep well a year or two, yes???
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Belgian wrote:Last night I relaxed with some Koningshoeven Quad (a third of the local supply now lives in my cellar) and followed that with some 2006 Chimay Bleue, which, at over two years age is goddamn regal. I'm gonna enjoy those cases of Chimay over the very long run I think. :) It would be fun to compare fresh and aged versions, this Chimay and Trois Pistoles together.

The Koningshoeven while good still needs, like all ales of the style, a little time to bottle-ferment those over-ripe tropical fruit esters and subtle spice tones. THAT I am definitely looking forward to, and will stock some Tripel because it ages well too.

As for the Eggenberg Doppelbock, that will keep well a year or two, yes???
I also had a two year old 750ml of Chimay Blue last night with a friend. It was truly sublime with such amazing integration of the alcohol that it was completely hidden. Blissfully drinkable.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

What's scary about it is getting into the Chimay AFTER the Koningshoeven. :o Is there no limit when you are in 'Belge mode'? :lol:

Id like to maybe trade for a few Rochefort 10 and then do a comparison of St Bernie, Konings, Rochefort and Achel Extra. THAT would go over well after a winter sleigh ride...

Jon I imagine the 750ml Koningshoevens will potentially age even better than the freakishly good 33cls I've had? I wonder if brewers are allowed be a little more aggressive with the yeast priming in the high-pressure bottles... or what is it?
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm currently working on a Biergotter Rye (thanks Eric!), which reminds me of Founders Black Rye (though it's not black and it's a little stronger & sweeter).
Belgian wrote:Id like to maybe trade for a few Rochefort 10 and then do a comparison of St Bernie, Konings, Rochefort and Achel Extra. THAT would go over well after a winter sleigh ride...
I've got some Rochefort 10 with almost 2 years on it.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Oaked Arrogant Bastard followed by a 2007 red cap John By.

The By is still holding up with a thick mocha head and chocolatey taste.