Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Jubilation Spiced Ale 2008

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Grand River Jubilation Spiced Ale 2008

Post by tupalev »

This was available at the brewery today in bottles. I figured I would start a thread now and report back later when I had tried it. Obviously looking forward to it.

And the folks at Grand River continue to mention their plans for an IPA early in the new year and a stout for St. Patrick's Day. Sounds good to me!

There were 2 growlers of Pumpkin left btw after I bought one; I was surprised to see some left but was told this was the last of it.

I cannot think of another Ontario Craft Brewer that consistently has this much variety available at their retail store - usually 6-7 different bottles and at least 4-6 different growlers on every visit, all incredibly fresh tasting product, all very reasonably priced.

Keep up the great work GR!

Jeff (one very happy new K-W resident)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

thats awesome that its out, ill be stopping by this weekend to pick some up. just a heads up to any RB/BA raters, this is a new and unique beer compared to the 2007 and should be rated as such. i believe it should be entered as a new beer on both sites.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

i believe it should be entered as a new beer on both sites.
Do you know why Matt? Is it at a significant different alcohol % or an entirely new recipe?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

tupalev wrote:
i believe it should be entered as a new beer on both sites.
Do you know why Matt? Is it at a significant different alcohol % or an entirely new recipe?
the last time i was down there I was talking to Rob and he said it was a new recipe. Im not sure about any alcohol difference since I havnt seen a bottle yet this year. I think we should contact Rob before deciding either way.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Ok, thanks. I'll check the bottles in my truck and let you know - I think last year was 6.5%...

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

A new recipe? Well, it was damn good last year, and I'm sure it will be damn good this year.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

5.7% this year

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Rob said they were going to change it up every year:
http://www.bartowel.com/radio/VCD_GrandRiver.mp3

Fun for the brewer & us geeks. :D

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Thanks for the link Derek

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

tupalev wrote:5.7% this year
that then my friend is a new brew, new entry IMO

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Matt, you'll find it takes more than .8% difference to qualify as a new beer on ratebeer, and I do not necessarily disagree with that - it saves the database (when not being hacked) from having a ton of different entries for the same beer and keeps it from being cluttered (I like BA a lot, but the list of beers is weakened over there because there are multiple beers and even aliases listed a different beers). Beers go through small tweaks every year. Again though, if Grand River says this is an entirely different recipe, that's different.

Anyway, I actually do not really care, and I'll let those who have much more knowledge than myself make the call.

I had a couple bottles last night but did not take any notes. I liked it, the spices were really upfront but they kept the body light (in terms of a winter warmer). I liked last year's but actually thought it was similar to the pumpkin (maybe I had it on tap where the pumpkin was previously on that line?) - this year's seems to stand on its own. Alcohol not present at all (I seem to recall knowing it was there last year). Great beer.

Is entirely different from last year's? Dunno. Certainly not drastically.

Another winner from GR.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

tupalev wrote:Is entirely different from last year's? Dunno. Certainly not drastically.
I see this as a really good thing. Last year's Jubilation was a firm favourite, and I'm looking forward to its appearance at the local watering holes. With the nutcracker sadly absent I'm looking to Great Lakes and Grand River to step up as the locals to provide me with my seasonal fix.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Is entirely different from last year's? Dunno. Certainly not drastically.

I see this as a really good thing
Agree 100%

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

To clarify:

Last years Jubilation was a combination of cinnamon and cardamom and was very intense. The 1 yr old keg served at Volo Cask Days really saw some improvement with time.

This years version reflects a recipe Bob had at home for Christmas cake that had cranberry's, oranges cut in half and spiked with cloves, demerara sugar, cinnamon and get ready for it...jalapeno peppers in it. The LCBO gave us the 5.7% but personally, I don't believe it. I have doubted a number of our recent results and the malt/sugar input combined with the attenuation tells me 6.5%. Try it for yourself and see. I don't have any equipment here yet to verify alcohol. Our heavy water mineral content and bigger body have generally masked the higher alcohols well but I think this could be dangerous. Salut!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

im almost finished a growler of this and it is truely fantastic. actually its stupid good. the spice and malt sweetness is held in check by the hops and the heat from the pepper. wow this stuff is flavour and easy drinking. Rob was correct to mention that this might ge people in trouble this holiday season. thanks Rob you made a masterpiece here.