Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Aventinus Eisbock

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Aventinus Eisbock

Post by matt7215 »

the current vintage is right up there with the best brews ive ever had. its truely like they took everything that is great about Aventinus and simply removed water unitl acheiving 12% ABV. im glad i stocked up on this beauty.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I had my first one of the season last night, and although I still see it as a great beer, I didn't enjoy it as much as last year. Here's how I re-reviewed it:
500ml bottle from the LCBO for less than $4! On the nose the eisbock reminded me a little of trois pistoles, and some of the other high alcohol unibroue beers, with a deep ripe fruitiness wafting upwards. The aroma is simply bursting with flavour as soon as the cap is removed - simply marvellous! The body is an odd murky brown colour with a tinge of burgundy, and it sits under a constantly replenished off-white head. Not much in the way of lacing though, which is a bit disappointing. The flavour is very intense and fruity (plum, damson, currant), with a huge warming finish. The alcohol seems reasonably well-integrated into the drink, but nonetheless hits pretty early, and after a third of a bottle I can easily tell this is a big beer. Thick, almost syrupy, mouth feel, but with an aggressive carbonation that alleviates the weight and explodes flavour on the taste buds.

A nicely souped-up version of the regular Aventinus, but I really don't think its as well-rounded as the regular weisse or aventinus. Its a lot more intense in flavour, but becomes boozy to quickly and seems to brash in comparison to its brethren.
I will be buying some more, but it won't be the case I was planning on a few weeks ago.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

I aged a few for the last year, and it became much smoother, less boozy, and better integrated. It has such a sticky mouthfeel. I'm going to cellar much more this year to see how they do longer term.
Mat

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's a very cool beer (no pun... exactly) however a bit much for me, personally. I don't need to consume drink-stuffs that are super-concentrated, when the regular version is abundantly flavorful. However Eisbock deserves all its praise.
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

mjohnston wrote:I aged a few for the last year, and it became much smoother, less boozy, and better integrated. It has such a sticky mouthfeel. I'm going to cellar much more this year to see how they do longer term.
Definitely the way to go. Except for hop bombs, I don't like to drink any of my big beers fresh, unless I've bought lots.

I received 1 bottle of last year's Eisbock in a trade. I've got no plans to drink it anytime soon.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I am on my second bottle of this tonight, and man oh man is it tasty. I started the evening with pilsner urquell and now I am on the Eisbocks. I think two is enough, considering the concentratrion of flavours and alcohol, but since I normally have 3 regular aventinus, 2 of these is like 2.5 regular.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Maybe this is blasphemous, or maybe I was just in the wrong beer mood, but I opened a bottle last week and just couldn't drink it. It was just too heavy and cloying. And I usually love eisbocks.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I had 2 again tonight after drinking Uinta Barleywine and Lagunitas Brown Sugga. I am ripped, but also wanted to say that the eisbocks are really a treat.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I had 2 again tonight after drinking Uinta Barleywine and Lagunitas Brown Sugga. I am ripped, but also wanted to say that the eisbocks are really a treat.
I just finished one after a Muskoka Lager and a DFH 60 min, Im not quite there with ya Len but Im close :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I had 2 again tonight after drinking Uinta Barleywine and Lagunitas Brown Sugga. I am ripped, but also wanted to say that the eisbocks are really a treat.

I wanted to follow this up with a note that the 2 Eisbocks, plus the 2 barleywines I had previous to that, created one of the worst hangovers of my life. Over and out.

52brews

Post by 52brews »

I have got to admit I enjoy Aventinus over the Eisbock. Admittedly I've only tried the Eisbock once, but I found the notable alcohol concentration a distraction more than an enhancement. Schneider produces amazing beer, so I don't mean for this to detract from the superior quality of the product, but if the two were side-by-side on the shelf, I'd reach for the more drinkable Aventinus.
Chris [Mr. Weiz Guy @ 52brews]
http://52brews.com
-Your Weekly Guide to Great Beer-