Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Article on the closure of yet another venerable UK brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

Article on the closure of yet another venerable UK brewery

Post by Uncle Bobby »

::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Its a shame really. Where ever I am, I always try to drink local, if not local then from a non-conglomerate. I guess we are seeing the impacts of huge brewing companies like InBev doing what's best for their bottom line, rather than what's best for the consumer.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

If the current financial mess exposes one thing clearly it's that big public companies are more addicted to growth and market share than actually being solid investments for their shareholders. Every day we see different industry's conglomerates laying off tens of thousands and scrambling to survive. Credit supply and downturns in demand are not picnics for small businesses or micro brewers either, but many of them are more agile or built around solid reasonable growth.

What I'm trying to say is, it is dismal to see another brewer go down, and we'll probably see more, but I suspect we will also see some more serious pain in the mega beverage business. My experience has taught me that every big player that gets into trouble and lays off lots of great talent, spawns competition. At the same time, every small well run company has a chance to make it's mark.

I may be dreaming, but I'm hopeful that we will see a shake-up or re-alignment in the market that creates new opportunities for craft brewers and more craft brewers. We will, however, need to accept the same changes will drive out some favourites and also open the door to some crappy discount brands. It's the ecosystem stupid - the dinosaurs will die, but some parasites will also be born!