Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Curmudgeon IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Grand River Curmudgeon IPA

Post by matt7215 »

here my RB review:

500 ml bottle from the brewery. bottled Feb 9th 2009. enjoyed Feb 11th 2009. now thats some fresh IPA. pours beautiful bright orange with a full white head that lingers and laces. wonderful earthly hop aroma with big pale malt backbone. the aroma is big and full just like you would expect from this brewer. the flavours is similar with hops up front leading to a caramel body and a fuggeled out finish. this is a great example of an IPA made without huge american style hops. the brew is hoppy and bitter but so much more palatable and complex then some west coast IPAs. i great brew that i will enjoy more then my fair share of. i cant wait to find it on tap.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Reviews like that make me thirsty! I can't wait until this arrives in Toronto. Bartowellers - let me know if you see it when your out on the town!

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

When I picked up my case yesterday, I noticed in the fridge that all the bottles had new streamlined labels. All very similar to each other. Got word from Bob that the new look labels are in preparation for the LCBO. He still does not know which will be accepted. I much prefer the old school look of the old labels as the new ones are very boring and uninviting. Best not to judge a book by its cover I guess.

As for the IPA, very bitter and dry....great!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Enjoying this right now, and WOW is it ever good! One of my favourite OCB brews already!

What I really love about it is the multiple layers of flavours here, and how well integrated everything is. For what it is it's almost perfect in my view, though I'm no expert on IPA's. But it is quite spectacular by my palate!

The guy on the bottle label is Len who owns the Golden Kiwi pub that is so closely tied with GRB. He's a cool guy but I guess they're just poking fun at him as the 'Curmudgeon' :P.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

I thought that guy on the label looked familiar.. I just couldn't place him!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I picked some up today as well. Exceedingly fresh taste. Very different from the US west coast IPAs, as has been pointed out. More of an earthy flavour (not unlike Plowmans) that reminds me a bit of DDC Corne de Diable perhaps.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

midlife crisis wrote:...reminds me a bit of DDC Corne de Diable perhaps.
This is a very, very good thing to hear.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

This GRB offering is a good solid rendition of a Brit style IPA, mild by comparison to executioner's but full bodied, citrusy-piney and well balanced...very approachable.
Aventinus rules!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Finally stopped in to Volo and had a pint last night. Very good...though I'd certainly beg to differ on the Corne du Diable comparison. I'd love to get some of this in bottled form but I don't expect I'll be out the way of the brewery for some time.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Funny you should say that, because I had a draught (keg) pint at Volo the other day too, and it did strike me quite differently than the bottles I picked up previously -- much more citrusy and less earthy. Don't know if they made more than one batch, or if my palate was taking a holiday.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

As someone local to the brewery who's had a lot of both, I've always found GR's stuff differs considerably on tap versus bottled. And to be honest, I've always liked the bottled stuff more, it always just seems more robust to me, call me crazy. I would recommend trying their stuff bottled before making any final judgements on it, though that's not to say it's all bad on tap necessarily, I just think their beers are better bottled for whatever reason.

Granted, it's not like everyone can just hop on down to the brewery, and I understand that, hopefully if and when they get stuff through all the LCBO hoops you'll know what I mean. But that's another thing, I'm so worried about that happening and then seeing their stuff sit unrefridgerated on warm shelves for months at a time going horribly bad :-? .

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

Bob tells me that this is the first cask of what I'm told, and reading, is a truly great IPA. It's just gone on stillage and I expect that I'll be tapping it towards the end of the week (maybe Thursday 26th Feb?) or possibly a little earlier if the cask of Welly County moves quickly. So this is kind of a heads-up rather than a review! :wink:
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

King Edward wrote:Bob tells me that this is the first cask of what I'm told, and reading, is a truly great IPA. It's just gone on stillage and I expect that I'll be tapping it towards the end of the week (maybe Thursday 26th Feb?) or possibly a little earlier if the cask of Welly County moves quickly. So this is kind of a heads-up rather than a review! :wink:

Looks like I'll be seeing you soon Rich!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

King Edward wrote:Bob tells me that this is the first cask of what I'm told, and reading, is a truly great IPA. It's just gone on stillage and I expect that I'll be tapping it towards the end of the week (maybe Thursday 26th Feb?) or possibly a little earlier if the cask of Welly County moves quickly. So this is kind of a heads-up rather than a review! :wink:
Keep us posted!

I work at the brewery but have yet to try one of our beers on cask. I'm back and forth to London weekly and have stopped in at the King Edward once for a pint and would happily make the trip this weekend to try the IPA on cask.

I'll definitely be following this thread for more info.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I had this at Volo last night. I had a lot of anticipation because I've really enjoyed the 10 other Grand Rivers offerings I've drank, but this one left me a little disappointed. While it was still a very decent beer, the aroma and the flavours weren't as assertive as I hoped. It seemed very close in character to a lot of the bitters I used to drink when I was back in England - sessionable, but not exceptional.

I'll try it again because Grand River are perhaps the finest brewer in Ontario, but if this was anyone else I'd probably give it a miss.