Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Ale Crawl - Fri Apr 3rd to Sun Apr 5th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

For those who are planning on visiting all 6 pubs, there will be free festival "passports" available at all locations, and if you get it stamped at each pub, you can enter it into a draw for gift certificates from the pubs and other prizes.

The number of passports at each location will be limited, though (50-100 at each place), so if you want to make sure you don't miss out, here's a PDF you can download and print your own:

http://casktoronto.files.wordpress.com/ ... ssport.pdf

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

GregClow wrote:For those who are planning on visiting all 6 pubs, there will be free festival "passports" available at all locations, and if you get it stamped at each pub, you can enter it into a draw for gift certificates from the pubs and other prizes.
I believe the grand prize is a liver transplant :lol:

Seriously though, great work Greg.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jon Walker wrote:I believe the grand prize is a liver transplant :lol:

Seriously though, great work Greg.
Well, you don't have to drink every BEER on the list - you just have to drink at least one beer at each pub.

Although if you want to try all 19, well, knock yourself out. Literally. :)

And I can only take a very small amount of the credit for this event - the rest of the core CASK members (especially Maz!), as well as all the publicans, deserve even more kudos.

austin

Post by austin »

Just got back from C'est What. Curmudgeon on cask is worth the trip. It's
good on tap but even better cask conditioned. This is a good one from Grand River. Not sure it's the best example of an IPA but it's a great, full flavoured yeasty ale. Would like to try this one in bottle.
Disappointed in the Plowman's Ale. Not the same cask ale I had at Cask Days in '07. If your going to C'est What get some Trois Pistoles on tap......
nice finish to the day.
Congrats to Greg and everyone at CASK.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Great evening at the crawl last night, and a fun time at Volo, Victory and C'est What. Best beer would be a close one between the Starlight (at the Victory) and the Texas Tea (at Volo).

Awesome job by all involved and really well attended.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Good to see such a great crowd at Volo last night. The place was full by 5 PM, with people starting to line up to get in.

I tried all of the casks, and quite enjoyed both of the stouts. The Maclean's Country Ale, however, was disappointing. Personally, I don't think it was ready to be served - there was no carbonation at all, and it just didn't feel finished, if that makes any sense.

Had lunch at Rhino today, and tried the Cheshire Valley Dry Stout, which was my favourite beer of the Crawl so far. It's a really solid stout, right on style, and Mr. Dickey himself was there pouring it and chatting.

Also - in addition to the originally planned Durham ESB, Cheshire Valley Dry Stout & Black Oak Pale Ale, Rhino also has a cask of Corporal Punishment on, and they have a cask of Hop Head on deck for when the ESB runs out.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

GregClow wrote:Had lunch at Rhino today, and tried the Cheshire Valley Dry Stout, which was my favourite beer of the Crawl so far. It's a really solid stout, right on style, and Mr. Dickey himself was there pouring it and chatting.

Also - in addition to the originally planned Durham ESB, Cheshire Valley Dry Stout & Black Oak Pale Ale, Rhino also has a cask of Corporal Punishment on, and they have a cask of Hop Head on deck for when the ESB runs out.
Yesss!!! Just got in from the Rhino (and C'est What earlier this aft) and agree about the super solid Cheshire Valley Stout. Paul Dickey was still there and helped tap a new cask of Hop Addict after the Black Oak Pale (I had the last pint) ran out.

That's too bad about the MacLean's - it was one of my most anticipated brews of the fest.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Had a great time at Volo Friday night. Beers were all rather interesting. Kudos to Ralph and the staff who handled a very busy crowd with aplomb, and reminded me that I need to get out there more often.

Enjoyed the Hop Addict and Cheshire @ Rhino as well just before they got swamped by a post TFC crowd.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Ceshire gone by the time I get in the ball game in the 8th inning, but got the Gun at the Volo.

Beer Wench

Post by Beer Wench »

Thanks to everyone who made it out on the crawl. I had a lot of fun meeting new cask ale fans as well as several old familiar ones as I made my way around the crawl. I would like to say that I was able to try each of the 20 cask beers that were available, but alas the event's popularity meant that several were sold out before I completed the crawl. Still, this is a very good sign!

Also, a big thank you to all of the participating pubs and the cask brewers for supporting this event.
Cheers,
Beer Wench
Victory Cafe

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Great job CASK!, on putting together a great three day event. It was nice getting out to all the pubs and seeing so many familiar faces and enjoying so many good beers.

I know of at least one pub owner who attended one of the pubs and he has made a vow to start carrying cask ale (once he learns a little more about it). I hope that there are more pub/bar owners out there who joined in on the fun and now have plans of their own to bring cask to their respective establishments.

TJ

Post by TJ »

What a great weekend of great beer. I managed to make it to all six bars/pubs, and tried all but three of the beers offered. I especially liked how having the passport provided an excuse to recognize and talk to other people about the event and chat about beer.

My only complaint was Mill St. Maybe it's just me, but they might want to seriously reevaluate the logistics of pumping from a cask that's sitting in the other side of their building.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I also hit all six pubs and tried most of the beers that were offered. Now I just have to hand that thing in and try to win something! Great time, thanks to CASK for putting this on.

$

Post by $ »

I got out to try a few pints. I was really happy with Grand River's Plowman's Ale, I liked it even more than the Curmudgeon. Their imperial stout was nice too - I really do have to drive out to their place and buy some beers.
Neustadt Big Dog Porter was a highlight for me as well.