Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

PC Leadership Candidate will Tank TBS Monopoly

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

PC Leadership Candidate will Tank TBS Monopoly

Post by pootz »

http://www.hillierforleader.com/randy-h ... tribution/
RANDY HILLIER TO OPEN UP BEER AND WINE DISTRIBUTION

Randy Hillier, MPP for Lanark, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington, PC Leadership candidate, announced today he would allow competition to the foreign owned Beer Store.

“Beer distribution in this province is currently controlled by foreign companies.” Hillier said. “In these tough times we need to give struggling small Canadian businesses like corner stores, restaurants and hotels more opportunities.”

“Dalton McGuinty is costing local Ontario businesses millions of dollars, to the benefit of foreign-owned breweries.”

Hillier proposes to allow corner stores to be able to sell wine and beer. As well restaurants, bars and hotels would be able to sell off-sales to further help their businesses.

“These changes will help Ontario’s service industry grow and prosper, and provide more options for Ontarians” continued Hillier.

The Hillier campaign is anchored by three central principles: Freedom, Justice and Democracy.

Randy Hillier was first elected to the Ontario legislature in October 2007 – winning one of three new seats for the PC Party of Ontario – and was the party’s critic for rural affairs.
Aventinus rules!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Let's hope this guy gets the leadership nod.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

He's got my vote!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Hillier is a libertarian whack job (well libertarian up to the point of gay marriage, then he magically turns into a raging social conservative). I'll drink Keith's for the rest of my days before this idiot becomes the premier of Ontario.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Bytowner wrote:Hillier is a libertarian whack job (well libertarian up to the point of gay marriage, then he magically turns into a raging social conservative). I'll drink Keith's for the rest of my days before this idiot becomes the premier of Ontario.
I won't go so far as to drink Keith's for the rest of my days, but the stance on ONE issue, meaningful to only a small segment of the population, doesn't justify a carte blanche ticket to the leadership desk.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

He's a bit of an odd duck, and I don't think he's got a chance against Hudak.

But I'd never vote conservative anyway, so neither get my vote, hehe :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Queef

Post by Queef »

SteelbackGuy wrote:But I'd never vote conservative anyway
kind of comment that explains so much about canadian politics.
it's beer o'clock.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Queef wrote:

Yeah I don't really want to get too far off track here, but they aren't really in line with my values and my thinking, so I'd not cast a vote for them......but that can change with time too. And I was raised by a Marxist mom, and a Blue Tory father. Go figure.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Queef

Post by Queef »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Queef wrote:

Yeah I don't really want to get too far off track here, but they aren't really in line with my values and my thinking, so I'd not cast a vote for them......but that can change with time too. And I was raised by a Marxist mom, and a Blue Tory father. Go figure.
Fair enough. Usually that thinking shouldn't be as black and white as people make it out to be.
it's beer o'clock.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

There has got to be a better way to get rid of the TBS monopoly. Free enterprise should not automatically require a return to the stone age.

Besides it's a little incongruous since the TBS is just the kind of monopoly on corporate welfare the conservatives so treasure.

$

Post by $ »

Tapsucker wrote:There has got to be a better way to get rid of the TBS monopoly. Free enterprise should not automatically require a return to the stone age.
The stone age was not free enterprise. Free enterprise brings us out of the stone age.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

$ wrote:
The stone age was not free enterprise. Free enterprise brings us out of the stone age.
That was not my point. My point was that to get free enterprise, we should not have to return to a social conservative backwater with spiteful tribes out to undermine each other in the name of ideology.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Tapsucker wrote:
$ wrote:
That was not my point. My point was that to get free enterprise, we should not have to return to a social conservative backwater with spiteful tribes out to undermine each other in the name of ideology.
Stone Age? I thought that was High School :P
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cirrosis

Post by cirrosis »

corporations control the government, the government controls alcohol distribution, figure it out.
if you need me i'll be in the fifth circle of hell

$

Post by $ »

cirrosis wrote:corporations control the government
The beer corporations do? Rather odd they only do so in Ontario...

Tapsucker wrote:That was not my point. My point was that to get free enterprise, we should not have to return to a social conservative backwater
ahhh... agreed. I don't really think the PC's really are much into free enterprise anyway, mostly just talk.