Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Big Wheel Deluxe Amber

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

kinguy wrote:
Derek wrote:
GregClow wrote: I should note that the "Big Wheel" in the name doesn't refer to the kid's toy, but to the penny-farthing bicycle being used for the logo.
The kid's toy could be an interesting label/ad campaign:
http://www.zazzle.com/this_is_how_i_rol ... 4854492117

I know I have a strange sentimental attachment to my old big wheel. :D
Nah, the LLBO would never allow it...drinking and driving, you know.
It could lure children into the bottle as well... :roll:

Seriously though... they're calling it an almost pale ale and obviously directing it to the mainstream consumer. Heck, even if it had 28 IBU's a lot of people here would think it was pedestrian. But every brewery needs a go-to beer (especially in these times).

And if this provides cash flow for them to do more interesting one-offs... even better! (I know Jamie would like to).

On edit, I'm not sure what I was thinking/drinking, 'cause its obviously UK hops in this one...
"and if this becomes a gateway beer that gives people a taste for Amarillo hops, that'd be great!"
Last edited by Derek on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

So is this available out and about anywhere yet, at the brewery?

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

JerCraigs wrote:So is this available out and about anywhere yet, at the brewery?
I'm just back from meeting a friend at the Fill Station, a typical sports bar cum "eatery" in the east end of the Beaches. After a quick glance at the taps from a distance I knew there'd only be perhaps Steam Whistle or Creemore, so I asked for both, in that order. They didn't serve these so the server offered up Amsterdam Big Wheel Amber, and I replied "Dutch Lager?" as I hadn't heard of this. She said no, Big Wheel, and it's like Creemore. She mentioned that later a second time. This tells me kind of where the reps are telling the clients to position this. Anyhoo, with no other choice, and buoyed by an anecdotal perception that Amsterdam accounts have been improving in quality as of late, I ordered one.

And I can't disagree with anything anyone's written so far. It's a nice contrast to the seventeen screens showing the same hockey game. It's a pleasant alternative to what the other taps have to offer, namely Molsoncoors' and Invbev's finest. I don't think it's meant to be anything else. It's very well done; clean, crisp, no faults. And it's great to have another choice out there when one finds oneself in a place like this. At five oh eight a pint, I'd definitely order this again.

Several blocks down at the Gabby's on Queen, a few months back I'd returned a pint of Amsterdam's Blonde. It's nice to see things changing for the better.

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

It's on tap at the Corner Restaurant at the North East side of Jarvis and Front Street. You get a nice view of the St. Lawrence Market from their patio. This place has other craft brews on tap as well; nothing spectacular though.

It's also on tap two doors down at a place called The Jason George (100 Front Street East). This place also has a patio and a bunch of micros on tap.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Also on tap at Freshwood Grill on Roncesvalles. Not sure about the Kensington Market location. I thought it was decent, not great, but something I would order again. Thanks for the tip, Dan, re: the Corner - might be a nice place to grab a patio seat to watch the Criterium on the 29th (seeing as C'est What doesn't have a patio). And it's sort of fitting to drink a bicycle-branded beer while watching a cycle race...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Granted I haven't been to the Kensington location since last summer, but back then there were no taps period. Only bottles available.
lister

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

lister wrote:Granted I haven't been to the Kensington location since last summer, but back then there were no taps period. Only bottles available.
Ahh yes, you're right - same here, haven't been there since shortly after they opened and it was bottles only. I'm not sure they even have room for taps in that location :P

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2YCl6fTBAc

Should start seeing it in LCBO's soon....well as long as they don't go on strike.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

trub_man wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2YCl6fTBAc

Should start seeing it in LCBO's soon....well as long as they don't go on strike.
Cool vid! I'll be buying my fair share over the summer... 8)

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

trub_man wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2YCl6fTBAc

Nice. I tried this on Friday and thought it was a good sessionable beer. Will it be available at the brewery store soon too?

Hey - did you check out the good feedback on the spring bock? I think it may be in the running for the best of fest at c'est what. Any plans to have it return next year.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Bobsy wrote:Nice. I tried this on Friday and thought it was a good sessionable beer. Will it be available at the brewery store soon too?
Seems like it's there now:
http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... -beer.html
I'm going to pick some up tomorrow.

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

Finished canning -112 cases ready forsale.
Cheers.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

trub_man wrote:Finished canning -112 cases ready forsale.
Cheers.
That should clear some space for... say... a schwarzbier?

Are you still planning to do one?

With the abysmal offerings of LCBO summer seasonal, it'd be a great alternative. Probably pair nicely with some BBQ too!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote: That should clear some space for... say... a schwarzbier?
I'm honestly curious - when's the last time anyone reading this bought Köstritzer. It's a great summertime beer for a rye-and-smoky cold-cuts type picnic lunch out in the sun. May lead to fun with GF! (Just to warn those on heart meds...)
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
Derek wrote: That should clear some space for... say... a schwarzbier?
I'm honestly curious - when's the last time anyone reading this bought Köstritzer. It's a great summertime beer for a rye-and-smoky cold-cuts type picnic lunch out in the sun. May lead to fun with GF! (Just to warn those on heart meds...)

Just bought 4 tonight actually. I usually have a few a week. Its absolutely delicious by the way.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!