Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The 3 Brewers

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

The 3 Brewers

Post by Bobsy »

I know there are threads about this elsewhere, but as this is an informal review, it belongs in the review section. Anyways...

Swung by this place last night, and I'm pretty damn impressed. Its obviously in a great location, and seemed to be arousing the interest of people passing by. I'm sure you can go over to Troy's blog to read a more in-depth piece on this place, but my over-riding thought is that this place would be great for groups - its very spacious, nicely decorated, food was decent, and the beers approachable. The prices can't be beat either - I think pints were in the $5.50 - $5.85 range

They have 4 beers on tap, and one bottled, all of which are being made on site (the bottle is currently shipped from QC). They are also planning to produce special beers on a bi-monthly basis. My memory is hazy, but I recall an oktoberfest, Christmas beer and cinnamon beer being mentioned. They are not doing off-site or growler sales.

It's hardly going to supplant places like Volo and C'est What, but its a nice addition to the scene and we'll be back.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'll echo that I was also impressed with 3 Brewers. They've designed the space such that there are lots of levels and sections, so you never feel like you are in a massive space. Lots of intimate areas which is great.

I find their name change to be curious - almost everything is Anglosized except for the glassware and plates, along with some other one off decorations. A comment was made about locals having a hard time pronouncing French, which I find to be odd. Perhaps this is part of a bigger strategy to test the English market for future expansion here or elsewhere.

This is an excellent addition to the scene and I wish it success. We haven't had a new brewpub in Toronto in quite some time and all of the brewing is done right there - we had a tour of the facilities yesterday and it's all very impressive. Definitely a nice addition to the Yonge St strip - we needed something new between Volo and beerbistro!

Cass

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

It looked good, although I mentioned that getting to the bathroom after a few could be a litigation nightmare, it's a bit of a maze. The Montreal locations usually do some decent seasonals, and a couple of the regular offerings are pretty good. Found the prices to be pretty good as well for where it is.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Interesting, thanks. How was the beer?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

midlife crisis wrote:Interesting, thanks. How was the beer?
I found it pretty decent, if not earth-shaking. I had a pint od the dark and the red. The dark had a nice chocolate maltiness to it, while the red was more dominated by caramel, but a little light in flavour and body. I had a few sips of my wife's wheat, and it was pretty nice and refreshing.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

An excellent addition to Toronto's beer and restaurant scene. The beers are well made, very similar to the French originals (which I tasted in company of Michael Jackson in Lille around 1990). I liked the white ale and brown beer the best.

The blonde is good, perhaps a little less malty than I would like, but creditable. The amber has an interesting clover/hay-like note on top of the hop flavours and good caramelized notes as Bobsy noted. A complex, good tasting beer that has no equivalent locally. Think something in the style of Jenlain or other amber bieres de garde.

The brewer is a young Frenchman and he has done a great job to ensure the fidelity of the beers to the originals.

The menu looks similar again to the French original dishes of Les 3 Brasseurs, but translated into English. (I didn't eat there but may later this week).

The building is impressive, with no less than 4 levels and numerous nooks and separate areas as Cass noted. It is nicely designed with an interesting motif of breweriana throughout. And the brewing plant is gleaming and spic and span.

This place deserves the attention of all beer fans. Its beers were inspired by beers traditional to the French far north (the region adjacent to southern Belgium) and they retain the true taste of that terroir. They have, too, a house flavour which I would describe as a zesty yeasty flavour. The beers are top-fermented and made onsite.

Try the Sampler as a way to taste the range currently available. As in Montreal, a bottled ale is available primed with maple syrup. I have not tried this yet.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I made another goofy video of the visit...

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Here are my thoughts:
http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... to-on.html

I was there Monday for lunch and back in the evening with Cass, Bobsy (Rob), Eric and some others and I echo their thoughts.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Stopped in for lunch on Tuesday...I had the beer sampler and was pleasantly impressed with the red and dark. The blonde and wheat were okay, but nothing special, IMHO. We both enjoyed the food, so I'll definitely be back.

Spab

Post by Spab »

I was in after work this week and was impressed. Amazed at how big the place was for sure. The beers were decent, with the brown being the best to my mind. I've walked by a few times since and they seem to be doing a bang-up business. Seems to me the place may have the potential to do a real service in introducing macro drinkers to something a little different.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Just been there today and ran into Nick Pashley. We spent an enjoyable 40 mins having a flite of their brews.

Duncan Rowland

Post by Duncan Rowland »

Had lunch there yesterday (Sunday the 21st). Their pizza oven was temporarily down so the food took a while, but they comp'd us a pint for waiting, which was much appreciated. I tried the Wheat, Red and Dark and liked each one. I sincerely hope that it is a success.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

...........I've just got news that there is a 4th brewer. Could this be true? If so, imagine all the great things this means for the city of OtnoRot.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

$

Post by $ »

I feel like a bit of a curmudgeon...I found myself wishing I was at the Granite or Mill Street. Can't imagine I would go back...the dark ale was ok I guess.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

was pleasantly impressed with the red and dark. The blonde and wheat were okay, but nothing special
Nothing wrong with well-made straightforward beer, even if the brewers are completely stumped for a real name or even a beer style, ha ha.

Might be a great 'gateway' beer place for people. And walking by I felt this strip of Yonge could easily come alive thanks to the many Dundas Square developments just north of 3 Brewers. Look forward to a flight of four very soon.
In Beerum Veritas