Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Mixed Brewpub 6

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Magni wrote:It's a shame because if you want six (in bottles) it lands you 15$ at the brewpub.
I picked up 8 bottles of Pilsner at Mill St. on Friday - two singles plus 6 in a generic carrier case. They charged me for 8 at the single rate. I believe it was $2.15 a bottle plus 10c deposit. That makes it $13.50 a six-pack.
Last edited by TwoPint on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

tupalev wrote:Guys the mix 6'er just launched and we're already complaining that we cannot get the pils in 6'ers of its own? Did it occur that maybe this is a good way to get some feedback on the pils before they determine if it is received well enough to launch it on its own? One step at a time folks. The fact that we have a mix 6'er available from a solid Ontario micro is a big step in itself - I know it is something I have been asking for for years. I'm sure if this is a success they will test out more brewpub favourites in the future.
My thoughts exactly.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

tupalev wrote:Guys the mix 6'er just launched and we're already complaining that we cannot get the pils in 6'ers of its own? Did it occur that maybe this is a good way to get some feedback on the pils before they determine if it is received well enough to launch it on its own? One step at a time folks. The fact that we have a mix 6'er available from a solid Ontario micro is a big step in itself - I know it is something I have been asking for for years. I'm sure if this is a success they will test out more brewpub favourites in the future.

Mill St. continues to blaze and pretty impressive path in terms of expansion, sales, and availability, all while maintaining great quality beers and experimenting at the brewpub. I now use Mill St. as the standard whenever I hear an Ontario micro say they cannot do something.

Now off to look for this mix pack in KW - I tried the pils a few years ago and liked it, but this new tweaked version sounds promising!

Good points on all accounts, though I think some of us weren't complaining, rather just saying that it is too bad it isn't available in six packs. I for one won't be buying many more of the mixed 6 (maybe 3 or 4 more), because I can't stand the organic, and I won't drink the stock ale on a normal basis. So for me, buying the mix 6 is really buying a mix 4.

And I think the next beer to come in the 6 packs, will be the pils anyway, at least that is the feedback I got from the local rep last time I spoke with him. SO that is exciting news for sure, and based on that is the reason I will at least buy 2 or 3 more mixed sixes, to show my support for the idea, and the pils.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

wilco

Post by wilco »

My hope is that this leads to Mill St getting into the seasonal game a bit more with individual releases for niche beers like the Lemon Tea. I can understand why they want to do a mix six, but I could do without drinking anymore Stock Ale or Organic.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I actually think the Organic is a fine lager.

When I don't have any Grand River in the fridge, I'll buy this for guests (as it's something I don't mind drinking myself).

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Fresh stock is a solid beer. I have not had the organic in a long time.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

tupalev wrote:Fresh stock is a solid beer. I have not had the organic in a long time.
I haven't had the Organic from Mill Street in years, i remember having it when they first opened up and finding it generally inoffensive, but thats not exactly a ringing endorsement either!!

I will probably pick one of these mixed packs up, just so i can try the Pilsner and show some support for some creative sales/marketing efforts from a local brewer.

I am with others on the hope that if this is a success Mill St will be more willing to take risks with putting out their seasonals in bottles and such through the LCBO system.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

Has anyone managed to buy one yet? I even went to the website first before going to Morningside and Kingston rd. location. Yes they had 96 cases delivered Saturday, the biggest shipment in Scarborough but hadn't been able to get it out yet. Then some other thing about it not being in the computer. And at any rate he just put another skid in front of the skid with the mixer sixers.
To be fair, the Beer Guy wasn't there. This is one of the uncommon LC dudes who will make an effort to get in what you ask for. He brought in Liberty for me (and I make sure all my colleagues pick their Liberty up there) and later Steam. He'll make suggestions. He got in Champion, but it wasn't on the shelf yet so went back, climbed up the skid and got us a couple four cans. He used to work over at McCowan and Eglinton, which is funny because I'd been in there a while back and noticed the beer selection wasn't what it used to be. And I've told the Morningside manager how helpful the Beer Guy is. I'm sure he would have found his way up that skid to the Mill Street.
But this wasn't the Beer Guy. This guy didn't really seem to concerned about the situation. Well, he seemed concerned but he made it really clear that he wasn't going to do anything about it. I didn't complain but I made a point of putting my "Canadian" Innis and Gunns back and some assorted cans. Over my shoulder I could hear him telling the manager that "that customer was really upset," but that was the end of it.

I assumed this was out on the shelves, where have people been buying it?

Cheers

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Tons at St Clair and Keele today. It is in the fridge now, will report back.

carguy

Post by carguy »

LCBO in Cambridge at Franklin and Dundas has a ton of it on display.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Last Friday the pack was out on the floor of the Avenue & Lawrence-ish LCBO.
lister

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Nice, this new Pils is really good!

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

A colleague is heading to the Morningside LCBO so I invite myself. The Beer Guy is back, and what do you know, he has no problem running to the back and getting us a couple of the famed mix sixes. And we buy Innis and Gunn, and we pick up a couple of other goodies he's brought out since getting back to work: Southern Tier Raspberry something or other, and Lancaster Bomber which I've yet to try.

The Pilsner is solid!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lager Bore wrote:A colleague is heading to the Morningside LCBO so I invite myself. The Beer Guy is back....
That is now a very fine store, slightly relocated and bigger with a huge beer cool room. The old building felt a bit urban-hell-holeish! It's GREAT that there is a little elegance & class arriving along the far east Kingston Rd corridor, boy does it need it and there is money in that area, south of Kingston Rd.
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Belgian wrote:
That is now a very fine store, slightly relocated and bigger with a huge beer cool room. The old building felt a bit urban-hell-holeish! It's GREAT that there is a little elegance & class arriving along the far east Kingston Rd corridor, boy does it need it and there is money in that area, south of Kingston Rd.
THANK YOU BELGIAN for finally giving this part of Scarborough some respect! Not to get political, but Scarborough is the most run-down and underdeveloped (populated too, at one point) of all the amalgamated GTA and it receives the smallest portion of the budget. In fact, some of Toronto's nicest parks and beach paths (not to mention the University) are right around that part of Kingston Rd. but you would never guess it given the reputation it's earned.

Back on topic, that new LCBO at Kingston and Morningside is indeed a good location; the manager is good and the beer staff is as knowledgeable as I've found anywhere else. They seem to have huge stocks always put out on time and carry all seasonals (which can sometimes fortunately move slow meaning more for me!)

I hear The Beer Store just down Lawrence Ave. is pretty good too :wink: