Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Curmudgeon IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Just a heads up: I thought this was pretty much done, as it is a seasonal, but I was at the brewery today and they had lots of bottles and growlers. I was not clear if this was it or if they were just finishing off one more batch, but it sounds like there is some limited availability right now.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Bob told me a second batch was brewed and released late. I prefer this last one, seems a tad more rounded.
Aventinus rules!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I was also quite pleased to be surprised by a few straglers showing up in the cooler. According to Bob this will be the last we see of it until next Fall.

$

Post by $ »

I dropped in on the weekend and bought a bunch of Grand River's beers for the first time. The Curmudgeon is good, not super hoppy which is nice. I actually liked it better in bottle than on tap. I really enjoyed the Plowman's Ale, in bottle and what I've had on tap. Nothing else to say, go visit them and buy their beers if you haven't yet.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

The last of the Curmudgeon was sold this week in bottle and the last two kegs went out to the Pheonix and the Golden Kiwi. This years Bumbleberry Wheat should be available as of tomorrow. I haven't been able to get the final run of the Russian Gun Imperial Stout out yet but will try to in the next couple of weeks. For those interested in the remaining stock of the Ploegers Vlaams Rood which we are sitting on, I am looking at September (Sorry Jeremy).

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Rob Creighton wrote:For those interested in the remaining stock of the Ploegers Vlaams Rood which we are sitting on, I am looking at September (Sorry Jeremy).
Khaaaaaaan! :)

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Oh and I forgot to add, our "C'est Wheat" on cask at the Victory cask festival is a one-off of our wheat ale prior to the berries. Enjoy!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rob Creighton wrote:For those interested in the remaining stock of the Ploegers Vlaams Rood which we are sitting on, I am looking at September (Sorry Jeremy).
Rob where are you selling the remaining Ploegers Vlaams Rood stock in September?
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Belgian wrote:Rob where are you selling the remaining Ploegers Vlaams Rood stock in September?
At the brewery only.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rob: If the Bumbleberry is ready, I'm so there. Tell your partner to answer his e-mail once in a while :wink:
Aventinus rules!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Seems like the 2011 recipe has been "tweaked" substantially, with way more bittering hops in the finish (similar to the 2010 Russian Gun). I got the chance to try this on cask at The King Eddy and I believe the hand pulled version is the best format for this beer. Anyone who was previously disappointed with Curmudgeon should give this year's rendition a go-round. Here's my review on BA:

B+ / 4
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4

Taps a reddish brown hue with one finger of cream coloured head and spots of lacing on the shaker. Smell is biscuity and bready malts, black tea aromas, table cream, molasses, and green leafy hops. Taste is brown sugar, caramel, and toffee sweetness upfront, herbal and earthy hop spiciness mid-palate, astringent and leafy hop bitterness that lingers on the tongue. The 70 IBUs are quite evident in the flavour. Mouthfeel is smooth, fuller than medium bodied, thick caramel texture through the middle, bold and lengthy bitter finish (bordering on aspirin-like). Very drinkable for the weight. Dubbed as a "classic rendition of the style," but this is much bigger and more bitter than your typical English IPA. Another winner from Grand River Brewing.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Looking forward to trying this.

I thought I noticed a significant change in the 2010 Russian Gun with respect to the bitterness...

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

this is currently on tap at the Woolwich Arms . was all right, pretty good for an Ontario IPA. it reminded me more of an english style IPA as the malts were more evident than the hops. the finish was very bittter, definitely the best part.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Damn, this really is one of my all time favourites. So grateful that it's a local brew for me too. Enjoying my first taste of this year's bottled version which is fantastic. Everything about it is just seamless and delicious. Strange though, the two pints I had on tap weren't quite as satisfying as this bottle I've got.

Good job Rob :D .

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

I'm partial to the big hop West Coast IPAs, but this wasn't bad at all and very sessionable. The buttery caramel and big malt presence reminds me of Duggan's number 9.