Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Lagers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

pootz wrote:
matt7215 wrote:Heuther Werzberger is a really sexy lager. Id stop by the brewpub everyday for pints of that one!! Great call pootz!!
Dortmunder is an under appreciate/ represented style in this market.
Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

JesseM wrote:
pootz wrote:
matt7215 wrote:Heuther Werzberger is a really sexy lager. Id stop by the brewpub everyday for pints of that one!! Great call pootz!!
Dortmunder is an under appreciate/ represented style in this market.
Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).
H-P Edelhell is a Bavarian Helles lager...lighter in body, color and hops than a Dortmunder.
I buy a box or so of this when a fresh one shows up.
Aventinus rules!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Yeah I know what it is. But you had compared the Wuerzberger to DAB which are quite different beers so I just figured we were going on the premise that they're more or less the same style, like how they're classified on RB. But of course they are different styles. The ratebeer classifications sometimes make no sense to me, like Abt/Quad, Dort/Helles, etc. But that's another subject.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Bobsy wrote:Some interesting recs, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned one of my favourite readily-available lagers - Sam Adams. I think this is a brilliantly made beer, and one of the most drinkable brews I've come across.
Yes, it's got a distinctive taste. It's been one of my favourites for a while but until today I hadn't seen it at my local Beer Store for 5 or 6 weeks. It's back today but is now more than $14 for a six pack. :(

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

JesseM wrote:Yeah I know what it is. But you had compared the Wuerzberger to DAB which are quite different beers so I just figured we were going on the premise that they're more or less the same style, like how they're classified on RB. But of course they are different styles. The ratebeer classifications sometimes make no sense to me, like Abt/Quad, Dort/Helles, etc. But that's another subject.
Wuerz and DAB and Lion are all Dortmunder styled lagers... yes they taste different. Taste variance in style rendition is a fact of nature in the commercial brewing arts. The Wuerz is a better representation of traditional Dortmunder style, the type popularized in Canada by Christian Huether's Lion brewery, and the Kuntz park brewery. Kelly's modern version has proper color, malt profile, body and hop bearing. The Bottled Gold Crown lion is a tad lighter in body but the same Dortmunder color and profile.

AFAIC DAB is really a poor representation of traditional Dortmunder style. Dortunder Union was a better representation , dark gold, 5.5%abv and dry hop finish but the LCBO hasn't imported this for some years now. Seems the traditional lager brewed in Dortmund has been in decline for some years now and what exists is a lightened up commercialized version. Shame. The highest rated traditional Dortmunders are made by US micros....and of course Ayinger.

As for style classifications on RB, I wouldn't take them as the gospel as often they are just a guesstimate from the first guy to review a beer. Also there are so many beers which defy style classification or bridge two or more styles that discrete style classification is fairly limited with the style list available.
Aventinus rules!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JesseM wrote:Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).
I heard from a fellow bartoweller that its been (or in the process of being) replaced by the Münchener Gold.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobsy wrote:
JesseM wrote:Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).
I heard from a fellow bartoweller that its been (or in the process of being) replaced by the Münchener Gold.

Can't trust those bartowel types!! :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Bobsy wrote:
I'm actually cool with that, I've loved everything from HS/Paulaner and am always happy try something new. I'd still buy it regularly even if it's rated lower on RB (I don't take the over-all ratings on RB for lagers seriously at all). I just worry it won't sell as well because the label doesn't have the German blonde girl on it :P (I'm pretty sure that's why it sells so well while the hefe right beside it sits there for eternity, the one with the old portrait of a german brewmaster on it).

$

Post by $ »

carguy wrote:Grand River Galt Knife is by far my favorite lager.
Had one last night, it really is a good lager. It's worth the trip to Cambridge!

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

Picked up six cans of Muskoka lager and for the price it is rather good. It has a nice balance of hops which is sorely lacking in most lagers at this price range. It did have a bit of strange flavour in the middle that I can't put my finger on but overall it is a great alternative, thanks for the recomendation :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Matty D wrote:.........It did have a bit of strange flavour in the middle that I can't put my finger on...............

That is called malt. :D :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

So is this Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Gold thing actually happening, or is it all just an elaborate joke being played on me? Someone listed it as available on RB at the Uptown Waterloo LCBO, but alas it's no where to be found in KW. I'm really wanting to get my hands on some of it now :( .

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JesseM wrote:So is this Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Gold thing actually happening, or is it all just an elaborate joke being played on me?
Well, both the LCBO and Beer Store websites still have the Helles listed, not the Gold.

But I also see on RateBeer that DerWeg (aka Belgian) rated the Gold recently. So perhaps he can chime in and let us know where he got it?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:
JesseM wrote:So is this Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Gold thing actually happening, or is it all just an elaborate joke being played on me?
Well, both the LCBO and Beer Store websites still have the Helles listed, not the Gold.

But I also see on RateBeer that DerWeg (aka Belgian) rated the Gold recently. So perhaps he can chime in and let us know where he got it?
Beer Store in the Beach.. It said Münchner Gold which first of all confused me... TBS website just says Edelhell so what I had must be a transitional shipment.
In Beerum Veritas