Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Review in National Post

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Wheatsheaf

Volo Review in National Post

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Some Things Are Best Kept Close To Home by Adam McDowell.

So which one of you was the guy with the notebook who polished off the Black Oak Saison? :lol:
Here's to the slow path.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Good article. Sure beats all the other garbage the put in that thing.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Great article. This line rings particularly true:
And unlike, say, Bier Markt, Volo does not pretend the brews of Latvia and Kenya and Singapore are worth importing.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Why the gratuitous insult? You certainly take offense whenever someone slams unions, LCBO workers, etc ...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

midlife crisis wrote:
Why the gratuitous insult? You certainly take offense whenever someone slams unions, LCBO workers, etc ...
Everyone else likes to generalize. I just don't like the paper.
I said it was a good article, which it is.....I think the national post stinks.....I wasn't attacking anyone personally. There is a difference.

Any paper that pays David Menzies to write articles for them, well........I don't need to say more..........
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Everyone else likes to generalize.
This one of the funniest sentences I've read in a while.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cannondale wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Everyone else likes to generalize.
This one of the funniest sentences I've read in a while.

I like to make people laugh once in a while you know :P

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Any paper that pays David Menzies to write articles for them, well........I don't need to say more..........
SteelbackGuy, you are such a...well, I don't need to say more... :wink:

Seriously, why the beef with Menzies? I did a quick search, and the guy doesn't seem to have written more than a couple of articles for the NP in the past year--most of them about cars. Hardly prolific, or influential.

So what, then? It wouldn't have anything to do with him being a journalistic thorn in the side of the LCBO, having written a series of past articles criticizing the LCBO, would it?
Here's to the slow path.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Any paper that pays David Menzies to write articles for them, well........I don't need to say more..........
SteelbackGuy, you are such a...well, I don't need to say more... :wink:

Seriously, why the beef with Menzies? I did a quick search, and the guy doesn't seem to have written more than a couple of articles for the NP in the past year--most of them about cars. Hardly prolific, or influential.

So what, then? It wouldn't have anything to do with him being a journalistic thorn in the side of the LCBO, having written a series of past articles criticizing the LCBO, would it?
Hey, I live with a woman, so i've been called everything in the book!! :)

Seriously, I don't really mind what David says in print a lot of the time, and I've never read his LCBO articles, but I am sure it is nothing I haven't heard 1000 times on bartowel.
If you've seen Mr. menzies on the Michael Coren show, well he is always going ovcer the edge, and I think he is plain nuts. Some of the stuff he says is just insane, IMO.

Anyway, soorry for dereiling the thread...like I said, it is a good article on Volo, and I probably shouldn't have made the comments I did, but I did so not much i can do now. Plus, every once in a while, I get to vent too! :P

The Liquor Lady

Post by The Liquor Lady »

LOL about living with a woman!
Bonnie from the former Niagara Falls Brewing Company...glad I found this place!