Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bud Light Lime in a blind tasting

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:
matt7215 wrote:any beer that is availible for retail sale should be judged regardless of age.
How can that be possible when age is a huge factor in the character of every beer?

All I'm saying is that a fresh BLL could easily taste a lot better than a year old bottle of Schneider weiss that has been sitting under the lights at room temp, but to me, that is not a fair comparison.
if a beer is sitting on a shelf long enough for it to go downhill then there is a problem. the problem may be with the producer, the distrobution of the product or the retailor. im sure there are lots of examples of each type of problem. what i gather from your response to lens original post was that bud light lime only came in second because the products it was be tasted with were not fresh. i wasnt at this tasting but i can almost promise that every bottle opened was bought within a week of being opened and that they all came from the store that len work s at. if that it true then all those bottle are fair game to be judged together.

in no way em i dissagreeing with that fact that almost all beer should be consumed as fresh as possible. what i em saying is that if consumers are buying beer that isnt fresh the producer has to get their shit together and solve the problem. if they dont then their stale beer should be judged for what it is.

The Liquor Lady

Post by The Liquor Lady »

Where I work, a border Duty Free store, mostly it's women coming in and asking for BLL. I think it's because they already like coolers and this sounds like a cross between coolers, which they love, and beer, which they don't love as much. This might be a good cross-over product to tempt the girls to try something a bit heartier in the future.

I can see why they might like it . In the States, coolers are all beer based, with malt beverage being the alcohol componant in them. This might appeal to people that like them, as it's something they can relate to.
Bonnie from the former Niagara Falls Brewing Company...glad I found this place!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Well, lager and lime (cordial) has been a staple for women for decades over in England. I'm just surprised it's taken so long for it to appear in bottles.

The Liquor Lady

Post by The Liquor Lady »

Lager and lime is not a thing that North American women have tasted before,, unless they travel to England or Mexico, where it's a common drink. I think the fact that it's something new has a lot to do with the popularity of this product too.

We'll see how it plays out, won't we?
Bonnie from the former Niagara Falls Brewing Company...glad I found this place!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

The Liquor Lady wrote:Lager and lime is not a thing that North American women have tasted before,, unless they travel to England or Mexico, where it's a common drink.
I don't know about that... IIRC, Corona is one of the LCBO highest-selling SKUs, and I rarely see it served without a lime.

-Josh

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Well, I had my first yesterday and... it's not bad. It's not beer, but it's not bad. It may as well be water with a lime wedge in it, refreshing.

AND, mine was in a can, so I didn't get the coldness that you can only get from the bottle, so I imagine it only gets better!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bytowner wrote:Well, I had my first yesterday and... it's not bad. It's not beer, but it's not bad. It may as well be water with a lime wedge in it, refreshing.

AND, mine was in a can, so I didn't get the coldness that you can only get from the bottle, so I imagine it only gets better!

So given that you didn't have yours as cold as it could have been, how cold do you think it was on the "Blue Mountain" coldness scale?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

What? Tasting Bud Light Lime makes you go blind? Good to know. I'll steer clear.