Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Ceili Cottage

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Mixed but largely positive review in this week's Eye. Three stars out of five.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

TwoPint wrote:Mixed but largely positive review in this week's Eye. Three stars out of five.
I will be visiting this place in about a week. Food sounds shoddy for sure, but I will try the Salmon based on the writer's reco.

I'm going to try the red dragon anyway, so perhaps I will not order any food!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

You're not going without me and I'll point you in the right direction re food

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Steel - the food's fine, don't be scared off by the reviews. I have yet to have a bad bangers and mash or mushrooms on toast, and the peanuts and kettle chips (and oysters, of course) are excellent snacks. Be warned - the cask may not be the Red Dragon - they rotate fairly regularly between the always excellent Durham brews, and in the last couple weeks it has been Red Dragon, Hop Head, Blak Katt, etc... If you don't have any specific expectations for the cask,you'll be pleasantly surprised. Let me know when you'll be there, I just might be able to join you...

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Ceili Cottage was reviewed by Corey Mintz in The Star on Sat Aug 22 (http://www.thestar.com/article/682636). Although the headline seems to indicate it is worth a visit, ("Visit Ceili Cottage, for peat's sake"), the article is less than complimentary about food and service. ("As a pub, it's a great addition to Leslieville. But as a dinner destination, it's not worth building up an afternoon's worth of appetite.")

Summary of article : Go there for drink and good bar snacks. Don't go for a meal, although the sticky toffee pudding got good reviews. 2 stars out of 4.
Too many beers, too little time...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

As an aside, the Wednesday minced mutton burger was, I think, one of the best things I've ever enjoyed from a tiny kitchen.

Now - if only we can train the waitresses to crack a smile. :lol: Lighten up, life is very short.
In Beerum Veritas

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I'm here now having Durham 'Tommy Knocker' on cask. Any idea I'd
this is new or an alias?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Garthicus wrote:I'm here now having Durham 'Tommy Knocker' on cask. Any idea I'd
this is new or an alias?
Hmmm, intriguing! Aroma/appearance/tasting notes?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Finally made it out here for the first time, as part of a big pub crawl last night. Great spot, really unique. Loved the interior and the feel of the place. Sat at the bar and had a very enjoyable time. Will be going back again for sure.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

I went first for the CASK! Social, and have been back numerous times for numerous reasons, most of which sound like "I fancy a beer". I have yet to go in and not be charmed by the servers, quenched by the beer, pleased by the food, entertained by the customers, and perfumed by the air. It has vaulted into my top three bars in Toronto. My only complaint was one Friday night when they adhered to their Liquor Licnese and I was unable to enter for a post-hockey pint on my way home, due to the throngs of people who, evidently, agree with me.

Love. This. Bar.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I made my way over here last month. Below you can find my BA/RB review. IMHO this place does not get the attention it deserves.

A- / 4.1
vibe: 4.5 | quality: 4.5 | service: 4 | selection: 3.5 | food: 4.5 - $$

This unassuming local is slightly off the beaten path from Toronto's other beer bars and restaurants, about a 10 minute drive east of downtown and well past Mill Street Brewpub in the city's distillery district. But the trip is certainly worth it as my girlfriend and I had a blissful experience here in November 2010.

We visited in the afternoon when things were a bit quiet. The atmosphere is unlike anything I've encountered in Ontario. A warming waft of smoked peat greets you at the door and invites you to relax inside the bar's rustic, comfortable interior. We sat by the window overlooking the patio, where the chalkboard of draught and cask offerings could still be seen. Authentic Celtic music provides the perfect backdrop for pondering the pictures of various Irish landmarks that hang on the walls. A ManU game was playing on the single flatscreen, and with only one other patron in the bar, we enjoyed a quiet conversation while marveling at the delicious food in front of us.

I had the bangers and mash with onion gravy after being told that the mutton stew was not available. My girl went with the local greens and roast tomato soup. Everything was ridiculously fresh and flavourful - the homemade sausages were tender and juicy, the greens had the perfect amount of vinaigrette on them, and the sticky toffee pudding was absolutely sumptuous. As we indulged in our desert, I remarked that I never wanted to leave. My girlfriend nodded in agreement. Between the calming music, the gentle chatter among staff and patrons, the endearing aromas of the cottage, and the stellar pub fare on offer, both of us were convinced that we could eat and drink here all day without ever tiring of the place.

For beer I chose the Durham Black Eye on cask as well as a pint of Hop Addict. I also spotted Scotch Irish Stuart's Session Ale, Church Key Lift Lock Lager, McAuslan Cream Ale, and Murphy's Irish Stout on tap. The cask was in great form and I was very pleased to find a Durham beer that I hadn't sampled before. The small selection will likely keep über beer geeks and tickers from visiting, but with a focus on premium imports, Ontario craft brews, and cask ales, the quality makes this a destination in my books.

On our way out we got a chance to speak with owner Patrick McMurray. I told him we had a lovely time and that we plan to return on future trips to Toronto. He said he was turning the patio into an ice rink for kids in the neighbourhood to play on. Clearly this man is dedicated not only to good food and drink, but also the community surrounding the restaurant. If you haven't been here yet, don't waste any more time: get down to The Ceili Cottage and take in one of the best pub experiences around.
Last edited by cratez on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:This unassuming local is quite far off the beaten path from Toronto's other beer bars and restaurants, about a 25 minute drive east of downtown and well past Mill Street Brewpub in the city's distillery district.

Driving is more like ten minutes from Queen and Yonge. Streetcar is fast also.

Lots of side-street parking which is free. Head out slightly early and you can buy smoked salmon at Kristapsons (Queen and Pape.)
I agree the atmosphere of the place is a hit. Good to hear you had a great night out, and the food seems to be improving.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote: Driving is more like ten minutes from Queen and Yonge.
My estimate was based on how long our cab ride took from just west of The Eaton Centre. I noticed that our driver swung down a few side streets along the way, so perhaps he wasn't sure of the most efficient way of getting there, or was purposely adding distance to the trip and taking a few extra bucks from some out-of-towners. :-?

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

cratez wrote:
Belgian wrote: Driving is more like ten minutes from Queen and Yonge.
My estimate was based on how long our cab ride took from just west of The Eaton Centre. I noticed that our driver swung down a few side streets along the way, so perhaps he wasn't sure of the most efficient way of getting there, or was purposely adding distance to the trip and taking a few extra bucks from some out-of-towners. :-?
I can jog that far in 20 minutes. It is 10 min drive max if there is no traffic. Could increase in rush hour.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kwjd wrote: I can jog that far in 20 minutes. It is 10 min drive max if there is no traffic. Could increase in rush hour.
Yeah, I just wanted to show that Ceili is really not so "quite far off" from downtown as perceived. I've walked there from Queen and Sherbourne many times.

It's basically the "new Queen West" beginning to happen in Leslieville right now (for those who remember a more arty and bohemian Queen West, before the big designer stores & plague of developers.) It's a nice part of Toronto.

I'd live there and walk downtown to work, no problem (the prices are getting a bit high but I still may.)
In Beerum Veritas