Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Niagara's Best Brewery and Pub Open House - Sun Aug 30th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

dutchcanuck wrote:Andicus, if you need to carpool let me know. I would be more than happy to let you ride shotgun.
I appreciate the offer, but the concern is more about having to offload my daughter on someone while I'm out! :)

I'm pretty sure I'll find a way to make it hapen, so I'll be sure to say hello.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Ooh, just saw the change on the date.

Perhaps Greg or Cass could update the title?

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Andicus,
Just bring a colouring book and sit her down in the corner. No problem! They also have a nice fenced in patio where she could chill out.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Andicus wrote:Ooh, just saw the change on the date.

Done.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

dutchcanuck wrote:Andicus,
Just bring a colouring book and sit her down in the corner. No problem! They also have a nice fenced in patio where she could chill out.
She's 13, so she probably wouldn't appreciate that! :)

Also, she's 13, so she'd be pestering me while I'm trying to enjoy myself, too.

I'm sure I'll work it out, somehow.
GregClow wrote:
Andicus wrote:Ooh, just saw the change on the date.

Done.
Thanks Greg!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

While I won't be able to make it out on the 30th, I was down there on Friday along with the wife, jercraigs and mabel. We had lunch - not gastropub-gourmet style food, but very solid pub grub - and sampled all of the beers.

Unfortunately, several weren't available, including the red and dark ales, but I enjoyed the ones that were on tap. Ian, the brewer, freely admits that about half of the beers are made for mainstream beer drinkers, but they're still decent brews. I quite enjoyed the light lager - very clean and fresh flavours, with actual noticeable hops!

My favourites were the oatmeal stout (once it warmed up, at least - it was way too cold when served) and the "brewer's special" IPA. We brought home a growler of the stout which we cracked last night, and it seemed even better than when we tried it at the pub.

If you're able to make it down on the 30th (or any other time, for that matter), I encourage it. It may not be beer geek heaven, but Ian is making a good effort to have at least a few more interesting offerings available. And there are tons of other things to check out in the Niagara region, so it makes for a great stop on a day trip.

(Oh, we also made a very quick stop at Taps. We didn't have time to stick around for a beer, but we wanted to have a peek at the place. It's not as cozy at Niagara's Best - more of a converted warehouse space - and they don't have have anything aside from their regular brands on tap. But it still looks to be a good addition to the beer landscape in the area.)

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

hopheadbrewer wrote:Regretably, I am having to move the event to the following Sunday (August 30th) at the same time (3-5 pm) due to the fact that we will likely be out of some of the more interesting beers (Pale Ale, Pilsner and Stout) by the 23rd.
Ian, does this push the RSVP deadline back one week to Aug 26?
Too many beers, too little time...

hopheadbrewer

Post by hopheadbrewer »

AlanB wrote:
hopheadbrewer wrote:Regretably, I am having to move the event to the following Sunday (August 30th) at the same time (3-5 pm) due to the fact that we will likely be out of some of the more interesting beers (Pale Ale, Pilsner and Stout) by the 23rd.
Ian, does this push the RSVP deadline back one week to Aug 26?
Um, yes...forgot about that, and thanks for reminding me....to the 26th or thereabouts...:)

Thanks

Ian
People who put political comments in their signatures, especially when such comments are false and insulting, are morons...

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

what beers will draw us in on the 30th
its that or the buskerfest at st. lawrence market

hopheadbrewer

Post by hopheadbrewer »

Hello all

It is the 26th, and I have had a few private messages confirming that people are coming to the event. I would just like to remind everyone who is interested in coming down to the pub on Sunday that the chef needs to have a rough idea of how many people to expect so he can plan accordingly for the food portion. For the beer part, I now have, and should still, by Sunday, have all 10 beers on tap. The "brewer's special" is still, as I like to put it, a "fairly decent" IPA, with this keg being dry hopped with Goldings.

Looking forward to seeing you there,

Ian Watson
Brewer
Niagara's Best Brewery and Pub
People who put political comments in their signatures, especially when such comments are false and insulting, are morons...

hopheadbrewer

Post by hopheadbrewer »

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I had the chance to talk with Ian this afternoon and I'm really excited about the beer tasting this Sunday. I had a chance to sample the dry hopped IPA and its quite nice. The East Kent Goldings come through quite nicely. I look forward to seeing everyone Sunday.
Cheers,
Dutchcanuck

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

How was it, folks? Decent turn out?

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Turnout was quite low in numbers. Dutchcanuck and I each showed up with a friend, so it was a pretty small affair. Regardless, I think we all enjoyed ourselves, and Ian was a gracious host. The beer was good, the food was good, and the company was good.

I'm working my way through a growler of Ian's IPA (having a pint as I type, it's really not what I would call work!) and I'm really enjoying it. I'll be making a point of heading in there for a refill and some dinner in the next couple of weeks.

Greg, I was surprised also that the light lager was quite flavourful. Very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again, Ian!

hopheadbrewer

Post by hopheadbrewer »

GregClow wrote:How was it, folks? Decent turn out?
I can't speak for the others but for me, it was a most enjoyable afternoon with lots of chatting about beer, brewing, and more beer, etc. The turnout was a modest, yet enthusiastic and knowledgeable group of two bartowelers and friends. I'd like to thank them for making the effort and hope they had a good time and enjoyed the beers...:)

Cheers,

Ian