Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

urBock

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

howardt

Post by howardt »

Hello all,

Creemore Springs urBock is being packaged as we speak (or rather as I write). It is very good, each year I believe that it is a new 'best'. Maybe I am biased. It will be distributed next week and should last until the end of January or so.

One change, the urBock will only be available in the small bottle 6 pack format. I apologize in advance to all of the 500ml fans. The seasonal/limited production run makes trying to package it in 2 formats impossible. In addition, we will be a year away from re-introducing the gift pack (new design to accomodate the small bottle). Again, sorry.

Enjoy and I would be interested in any feedback. Cass, the offer still stands to host a BT road show up here in our little brewery. Now that we have a 100% increase in the number of beer styles availble to sample...it may be more attractive to the gang. 'suppose we could scare up a box or two of exotics for fun :smile:.

Howard

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks Howard - I'm going to start thinking about another trip shortly.

Has anyone found urBock on tap in TO yet?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I haven't seen it anywhere... I am hoping it will be at C'est What for the festival of small breweries.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It was on tap at Joe's on Saturday night.

Sac

Post by Sac »

Actually we've had the UrBock on for the past three weeks and are expecting another delivery today. Great response.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sac on 2003-11-05 14:33 ]</font>

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

Is it just me, or does this year's incarnation seem much less assertive than last year's? I rated it as much rawer, "young" tasting last year ... seems much more mellow this year. Has the recipe changed at all or am I just going crazy?

howardt

Post by howardt »

The urBock does change a bit from year to year given that we need to use hops and malt that are by nature a bit different each year. However, our brewmaster suggests that the primary differences stem from the difficulty of direct comparison since the beer is only available for part of the year. Comparing it to archived samples from last year is not reliable since the storage time and conditions will effect what was fresh beer last year.

We think this year's vintage is probably the most well balanced ever. This generally makes for a more drinkable product.

The urBock is on tap at C'est what and most of the Duke pubs.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Howard, had some UrBock in Ottawa at Lt. Pooley's. It was magnificent, as usual. Hats off to a job very well done.

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Had any number of pints at the Duke of York on Bedford last night. Lovely beer.

And -- pardon me, Howard -- I hadn't been that impressed by it at the Festival of Mircobrews. Maybe it was the small measure, or the mixing of so many flavours, or even the smokey atmosphere.

However last night's beer was wonderful. And the whole table was won over.

-Uncle Bobby

howardt

Post by howardt »

Uncle Bobby, (of the "Bimbo,Bimbo..what's ya goin dooey oh?" fame? I remember that).

No offence at all. There were a lot of flavours that night. I didn't even have an urBock and to be honest by the time I got there...well it might have been too late.

Enjoyed the Tank House and the Al's, Perry and John's beers were good too. Many were good.

Thanks for the kind words on the urBock.

Howard