Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Niagara's Best Brewery and Pub Open House - Sun Aug 30th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Ian clearly demonstrated the heart and soul that many pubs are missing in Ontario. He was a gracious host and happy to talk to us about the fine beers being brewed over at Niagara's Best. Ian's constant re-jigging of the recipes has allowed them to improve with each batch and I look forward to how the develop in the future. My ONLY complaint is that his fines't beers are not available by the case. I would happily keep my fridge stocked with the Pale Ale, Pilsener, and IPA. I even have to admit I was surprised at how good the Light Lager and the Dark Ale tasted. The Dark Ale had a nice roasty-ness that I found quite enjoyable!

In regards to the food, it was solid pub fare. I love the idea that they cook with their own beers to provide meals that you truly cannot get any where else. However having eaten there a few times I wouldn't mind a focus on fresh locally sourced ingredients. As an at home chef I swear by them, but I am keenly aware what one does at home may not be transferable to a business.

I was, however, quite disappointed with the turn out. I was expecting a lot more people to be there with all the talk I hear about supporting Ontario breweries. If you're ever in the area I would highly recommend that you stop in, try a pint, and say hello to Ian. I for one will be back later this week.

P.S.

Ian, let me know when that London Porter is ready ;)

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Congrats on a good event and thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking forward to checking it out!
I was, however, quite disappointed with the turn out. I was expecting a lot more people to be there with all the talk I hear about supporting Ontario breweries
Hey now, do not equate a low turn out to an event that had a date change at the last minute on a busy summer weekend in an area where there are not a lot of bartoweler's to not supporting Ontario breweries. Niagara's best was not exactly known for groundbreaking beers in its past incarnation and I think, besides the geography, some are taking a wait and see approach on this new venture. The feedback from folks like yourself is encouraging and maybe the next event, if planned a bit more in advance, will attract more people out to it. Until then , those that are local, keep supporting it and keep us posted, and us out-of-towners will encourage folks to stop by when they are in the area.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Tupalev,

That's exactly my point. This was a great way for those taking the wait and see approach to come on down. It was an opportunity to try some free beer and talk to the brewer about the current line up and what he has planned for the future. Two bartowellers showed up. That's it. I am well aware that the date change may have thrown a wrench into the workings, I'm just saying people need to be a little more proactive.

I myself have driven to Creemore (before being bought by Molsen), Mill Street, Black Oak, and Grand River Brewery. All in the name of supporting local Ontario brewers.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Dutch,

I think the fact that so many bartowelers have already made the trip is very encouraging (I know of approx 10 off hand) and also a reason maybe more did not show for this particular event. I don't know about others, but my August weekends were booked back in June. Personally, I do not like driving to any beer event (that's what makes Toronto and its transit so appealing beer event wise - well, when I lived there anyway :) ), and having to get a hotel is not always an affordable option (don't get me started on the logistics involved if you have a young family).

All I'm saying is out of town events not easily available by transit take a lot of commitment and work from attendees; don't be too quick to bemoan the fact that two bartowellers showed up.

I think a Fall event booked in advance with a firm date and maybe a special one off or two would get them a solid turnout. Otherwise, we all know people who go to visit the Falls area and I think most of us are telling folks to stop in - that's the best kind of advertising a place like this can get!

Ultimately though, a place like this will need the support of its local community - maybe less so in a tourist area like the Falls in which case our collective word of mouth can be even more valuable than our once or twice a year beer dollars.

Please keep us posted on future visits and events.

Jeff

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

No worries Tupalev I have lots of free time on my hands and would like to put it to something resembling good use. I know Niagara is tough to get to with the piss poor public transit.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Luckily, I have a friend within staggering distance of Ian's place so there going to have to put up with me on numerous weekends (inc. this one) :D

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Maybe the GO service to the area will help. I know (as I mentioned at the open house) that it's very convenient for Toronto gatherings to be able to get a ride to Burlington, and then use Go/TTC from there. Now that GO is available from St. Catharines (or N. Falls) on weekends, it'll be even easier to make future events. :)

Hopefully it will help out in the other direction as well.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This place sounds great and I will have to make my way down soon. I will be visiting my father in Grimbsy soon, so I will make my way down to the falls to check this place out. Its too bad more people didn't show up. (I was just getting over strep throat so I couldn't go) but next time I am in.

This Londoner will be taking the Greyhound all the way to the falls, so if I can do it, so can you.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

hopheadbrewer

Post by hopheadbrewer »

tupalev wrote:Congrats on a good event and thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Hey now, do not equate a low turn out to an event that had a date change at the last minute on a busy summer weekend in an area where there are not a lot of bartoweler's to not supporting Ontario breweries.
To be fair,"at the last minute" is a bit of hyperbole . I actually changed the date a full 2 and a half weeks before the new date. And the reason for that was only to be sure that the best of the beers would be available on the new date.:)

Cheers,

Ian
People who put political comments in their signatures, especially when such comments are false and insulting, are morons...

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

SteelbackGuy wrote:This Londoner will be taking the Greyhound all the way to the falls, so if I can do it, so can you.
Actually there are buses that leave daily that go to Niagara Falls from all over Southern Ontario. You just have to disguise yourself as an elderly person going on a gambling junket. :lol:

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

dutchcanuck wrote:I was, however, quite disappointed with the turn out.
Actually, there were two more. My wife and I arrived late (due to a motorcycle accident on the QEW that shut down all 3 lanes at Beamsville for 2 hours). When we finally arrived, Ian was in the back leading the other Bartowellers on a brewery tour, and due to a misunderstanding with the bar staff, I thought that the event had been cancelled. No worries, we had a seat and ordered food and drink. The ambiance is casual but pleasant, the service attentive without being intrusive. The beer-steamed mussels ($10) were very good--large and meaty, not rubbery, and with fresh bread to soak up the broth. The calamari ($10) was perfect: hot and crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. A pint of the IPA (August's monthly brew) made the 2-hr wait on the QEW very worthwhile. I am still asking myself why I didn't take a growler (or 2) away with me.

Well worth a stop on any visit to the Niagara area.
Too many beers, too little time...

hopheadbrewer

Post by hopheadbrewer »

dutchcanuck wrote:
P.S.

Ian, let me know when that London Porter is ready ;)

Hey Dutch!

I kegged the London Porter today, so it should be on tap as soon as the last IPA is gone, which should be in a few days.

Cheers,

Ian
People who put political comments in their signatures, especially when such comments are false and insulting, are morons...