Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Ristorante

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beer_dude

Post by beer_dude »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beer_dude on 2003-11-08 11:34 ]</font>

bulba

Post by bulba »

I take exception to beer_dude's comments!

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

Just got back...
Very impressed with the beer selection overall, I had a Mill Street Tankhouse (the last time I tried this was at the St. Lawrence festival). Good, but not as good as I remembered... 'tis no Scotch Irish IPA.
Foodwise, the tortellini was quite good, but the cannoli (sp?) was wonderful. For two it came to about 50$, which isn't unreasonable, but a bit much for regular visits on a student budget.

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

We've just put the Black Oak Nutcracker on Tap at Volo. Cleaned the lines and enjoyed a taste (its all about quality control!!!) Please note the "Gansta Nutcraker" taphandle. Something suitable for Yonge St. The nutcracker was generously donated by DAN-D-Man and his much better half, Elaine the train driver. Please enjoy some of Volo's great food and hospitality!!!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Stopped in for a drink this afternoon - Could not believe how cheap the beer is! I got a Delerium Tremens for $6.25, which is usually around $10 most places I have seen it. Very nice place. Will be back.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Volo are expecting their first delivery of Traquair Jacobite Ale tonight. I am looking forward to it.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

I was in Volo again a few days ago. The Jacobite was in and I had forgotten just how superb it is. I highly recommend it.

They also have Victory Hopdevil, which I tried for the first time. Personally, I found it a bit 1-dimensional and poor, but I expect that it has some following. To be fair, it may have just not been very assertive following the Jacobite.

And Volo have added Robinson's Red to their tap selection since I was last in. I think it is somewhat overshadowed by a few of their other draught beers, but it is there.

Volo seems to get better all the time...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm posting here in honour of Volo's 20th anniversary which I stopped in yesterday for a few beers. I was chatting with Ralph and Ina and it came up that this particular thread was, for many of us, the first we heard about this place called Volo and how they were doing good beer.

Anyway, it was a good time yesterday and it was nice to catch up with some of the familiar folks. I took a couple of pics, so if you're interested you can see them here:

http://www.bartowel.com/pics/volopics/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes, it was a terrific event yesterday with a very relaxed feel, less crowded than cask days but with enough great cask ales to keep even the more jaded beerhunters interested, including some one-offs and the not-to-be-missed Infusitron 2.0 adding excitement to the keg lineup. A big thanks to Ralph and his whole family for their hard work.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Wow, I had no idea that I was the first one to mention Volo on Bar Towel. I guess Ralph owes me one for all of his success in the last five years. :lol:

And I'm pretty sure that the friend who emailed me was blankboy, who was just getting into craft beer at the time thanks to my prodding him to move beyond Old Speckled Hen. Heh.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

GregClow wrote:And I'm pretty sure that the friend who emailed me was blankboy, who was just getting into craft beer at the time thanks to my prodding him to move beyond Old Speckled Hen. Heh.
Yup, that friend was indeed me, I remember this thread from way back. Wow, this sure takes me back.

Congrats to Volo!

P.S. I had a great time on Sunday for the 20th!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"