Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trafalgar Hop Nouveau

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Well I sampled the Hop Nouveau and the Towelers who are excited about it are....er...well....uhh...right. It's a great little pale, lots of juicy hops but not over the top balance wise. Not a hint of the usual nasty yeast taste.

I actually stacked one up against a Hoptical illusion, I had one sitting in the fridge, and the Hop Nouveau tasted fresher and had brighter hop presence .

I would buy more if it was available but the cost is a tad steep for what you get.

BTW it pairs well with crow pie. :wink:
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Here are my thoughts on the Hop Nouveau:

http://www.tasteto.com/2009/10/13/beer- ... p-nouveau/

Short version: It's good!

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

It's even better on draught. Had a pint at C'est What? last week and was smitten.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:To say that people aren't drawn to more attractive packaging is a bit of a fallacy, though, and the reasoning that companies spend millions on marketing.

Mind you, I work in marketing so I may be biased :wink:
You sold me. That has to be my favorite sentence grammar of the year.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseMcG wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote: The consumer?

Not this consumer. I care about what is IN the bottle. If I were to buy bottles based on looks, well then Orval would be out.....so would a lot of others.
Orval is one of my favorite bottles. AND the beer doesn't taste like sour piss either, imagine that.

Len, you work at the fucking LCBO and it's pretty clear from this forum that you try EVERYTHING that comes in (at least the beer). The average consumer might not buy a bottle of something if the label looks terrible. That goes for Orval too. I consider most of my friends average consumers of beer, and most of them would never have tried Orval if it wasn't for me forcing it on them.

I do try every single beer that comes in. And I also try a hell of a lot of wine........and scotch...........heck, we had a tequila tasting the other day.

I guess I have a different story than most because I do work there, so perhaps it is easier for me to just sample everything. I know we all have different tastes, but I really feel this beer has been slammed by some, simply because of who brews it. To each their own of course, I just feel this is a very solid offering.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:
Bobsy wrote:To say that people aren't drawn to more attractive packaging is a bit of a fallacy, though, and the reasoning that companies spend millions on marketing.

Yeah, looks like I missed a word out there, but at least I know how to spell favourite.

:wink:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:

Yeah, looks like I missed a word out there, but at least I know how to spell favourite.

Hooooooooooooo! Bitch slapped!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:

Ha ha... you Brit-English with your 'colour' and 'flavour' and 'honour'...

Sadly I think "Americanized" spell-check software is killing the traditional spellings you and I grew up with. :)
In Beerum Veritas

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I had one of these lurking in my fridge so I cracked it last night. Very good. I really enjoyed this one and I think I'll try it on tap, if it's still at C'est What.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Finally got one of these sent out from Ontario. Wow, I actually dig it. Not only is it the best beer Trafalgar has ever produced, it's even a respectable harvest ale. I would drink many more of these if I had the option.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Belgian wrote:Sadly I think "Americanized" spell-check software is killing the traditional spellings you and I grew up with. :)
Do you use Firefox? Download the Canadian Dictionary add-on.

gongu

Post by gongu »

Yes tried it recently and was quite nice but nothing like
Sierra Nevada Wet Hop Chico Estate . Must be the hop choice.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Ok....the general consensus is that fresh wet hopped ale rocks and Trafalgar ( being an unlikely source) has produced a real gem here. Question is; will they do another release next year?..... will other brewers catch this trend to wet hop harvest ales? Hmmmmmm a hop industry in Ontario...Hmmmmmm :wink:
Aventinus rules!

hush

Post by hush »

I tried this from a bottle on the weekend. I prefer larger ales but I thought this was pleasant, soft and drinkable. If it were just a bit cheaper I would buy it again.

hush

Post by hush »

pootz wrote:Hmmmmmm a hop industry in Ontario...Hmmmmmm :wink:
Ontario used to have a reasonably large hop industry but some kind of blight put an end to it in the 40s or 50s.