Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys - Netherworld

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

peterchiodo wrote:.The ABV is somewhere between 6 and 7% (13-14 brix) PA*0.6-1....hence, the use of Imperial in the name. It will definitely be full-test, lead-ed beer....Knocking out of the kettle it looked like Coca Cola (chocolate and Roast). I'm dry-hopping it with both Cascade and East Kent....
Sounds exciting - I still say it's a porter by ABV. But don't hesitate to make it Imperial by taste, because I like good flavor far more than getting drunk on a schoolnite.

Just had a Black Katt from Durham, we do have a few nice dark-roast beers in Ontario. Keep it real Peter!
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I think it's awesome that you polled the local beer-lover community to get ideas for your next project. Hell, why wouldn't you?

Kudos and I hope it's a big success. Can't wait to try it!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

IPA vs. Porter & UK vs. US hops.

An interesting brawl... hopefully they'll all dance with my taste buds.

Can't wait to try it!

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

notdan wrote:Can't wait to try this. I hope it's in full production when I get back to school this winter. Plus Kickoff's in Waterloo was good about getting Hoptical on tap before it was in bottles, hopefully they can grab this one too!
Yes, please let us know if this finds it's way to Kickoff..come on it's the only place we have left!

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Beer Geek wrote:
notdan wrote:Can't wait to try this. I hope it's in full production when I get back to school this winter. Plus Kickoff's in Waterloo was good about getting Hoptical on tap before it was in bottles, hopefully they can grab this one too!
Yes, please let us know if this finds it's way to Kickoff..come on it's the only place we have left!
For sure.....Kickoff has been a great supporter of Flying Monkeys / RS over the years. Nothing beats loyal licensees. We'll defintely be sampling it there at some point--if they are cool with it!

Yours in brewing,
Pinocchio Salami-breath Chiodo

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Beer Geek wrote:
+1. Man I love that place.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Jesse - I love the place for the beer they carry and the support they give to micro's like Flying Monkey in this good beer forsaken wasteland, plus the service is excellent and friendly too. I just wish it did not feel like a large brightly lit open concept living room :) .

Peter - please keep us posted when this hits - we are desperate for good beer here in Waterloo (this place is 10 minutes form my house) and this one sounds quite adventurous! Good luck!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Yeah the place could really use some more room :P. I just tell myself it's cozy. Though it is kind of cool checking out all their kegs-in-waiting when you go to the washroom (the storage space is right there by the doors).

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

I'm sorry but Flying Monkeys Netherworld is still not ready yet. I was hoping to unveil the cask version at Volo but unfortunately it is still in the FV as I only brewed it last Monday. I've dry-hopped it twice and I still think it needs more hop character. My apologies to Ralph and Tom and the other folks....a few more weeks and we should be cool! Also, I have scrapped the idea of a hop-back and am now designing a "SNPA"-style torpedo for dry-hopping (all my beers are dry-hopped including Antigravity).

Yours in brewing,
Peter

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

That's too bad, I was looking forward to trying it, but definitely better to wait 'til it has matured.

Keep a cask for Volo's stout/porter challenge in the winter?

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

peterchiodo wrote: Hey Derek..The ABV is somewhere between 6 and 7% (13-14 brix) PA*0.6-1....hence, the use of Imperial in the name. It will definitely be full-test, lead-ed beer....Knocking out of the kettle it looked like Coca Cola (chocolate and Roast). I'm dry-hopping it with both Cascade and East Kent....I figure an old-school noble hop with some west coast flare could be awesomely interesting...
No offense, but 6-7% ain't "Imperial".

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

A wrote:
peterchiodo wrote: Hey Derek..The ABV is somewhere between 6 and 7% (13-14 brix) PA*0.6-1....hence, the use of Imperial in the name. It will definitely be full-test, lead-ed beer....Knocking out of the kettle it looked like Coca Cola (chocolate and Roast). I'm dry-hopping it with both Cascade and East Kent....I figure an old-school noble hop with some west coast flare could be awesomely interesting...
No offense, but 6-7% ain't "Imperial".

Netherworld Imperial India Porter by Flying Monkeys
Okay….I was tied-up, gagged and forced to send the beer to Volo anyways. The brew/cask was drawn directly from the FV and is ufiltered, uncarbonated, with no priming sugar or finings...It tastes like a blend of a Jolt Cola, a starbucks grande, and a Herseys’ Dark chocolate bar roasted over a fireplace that was burning cherry wood. It is very dark...in many ways. Hopefully after dry-hopping and its voyage down the 400, it won’t taste like a burning pool liner over a barrel of used tires.

Hey “A” subjectively, one part of the "Imperial" designation could denote an elevated alcohol level and you are correct 8-12% has been presented in many beers. However, I'm aligning myself with Belgian's comments above. To be honest, I’m not too sure how far up the ABV ladder we're going but it will be a slow cautious ride. Anyways, since it was my first batch, and the gravity was low, I thought I would push the subjective envelop—work with me on this one!

Yours in brewing,
Shrinkdink Chiodo
Flying Monkeys
Last edited by peterchiodo on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Oh, and I forgot...I know this is the beer review forum...but if anyone has any ideas on artwork/packaging concepts, let me know.....I'm starting off with Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell Album cover as inspiration.....f**k I must be old.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It was drinkable, but definitely not ready. The dry hopping actually over-powered the dark malts. It smelt west-coast (as in fresh BC weed) and had plenty of grassy flavour as well. It'll be interesting to see how it matures (even with just a few weeks).

As for graphics, I wouldn't recommend using your face like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherworl ... uter_game)
Last edited by Derek on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Peter,

If there were bars in London that would take a few cases of your product, would there be a way for them to get it?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!