Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Weekend Winter GetaWays

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I am in the planning stages of a weekend trip for January and have been trying to include some beer stuff with some fun activities for myself and my gf.

The frontrunner so far is Kingston with a visit to the Kingston brewpub and probably a night at one of the local inns.

I had been looking at possibly Peterborough and the Old Stone but couldn't find anything online that seemed as nice as the options in Kingston. Other considerations were Elora, or possibly Niagara. Any suggestions? Preferably on the lower end of the $$$ spectrum.

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

The Prince George is downtown, a nice if somewhat expensive, historic inn. It's right across from the Brewpub...

If anyone else shows up, I might be around to offer a tour of the city.

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Stay away from Niagara if cost effectiveness and beer accessibility is your preference.

Gunny

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

If I were to go to Niagara beer wouldn't really be on the agenda as much.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Why not Montreal. It never dissapoints and lots of beer related vacation activities are available. Hotel Novotel always has good rates and a horse drawn cart in old montreal will certainly get your gf in the mood.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I second Montreal. Just spent a great weekend brew-pubbing. The food selection is great and the prices are right. I stayed in a private hotel "Manoir St-Denis" right on St-Denis near Sherbrooke, across from the Amere a Boire brewpub. The hotel cost $59.00 per night. Its nothing fancy, but it does the job. There are other similar hotels in the area (near Le CEGEP du Vieux Montreal) that may be a little more upscale for around the same money. Most other brewpubs are in short walking distance. Word of warning: Montreal weather is like Ottawa weather. The two midddle weeks of January are usually the coldest of the year with temps. hovering around -15 (+wind-chill) during the day and -20 to-25 at night. Be forewarned and dress warmly.
Cheers!
Perry

Muskoka

Post by Muskoka »

Hey Jer.
Well you can come on up to Muskoka, all the nice resort give deals in the winter time and there are places to stop at on the way up (creemore, king, hockley) then us once you are up there. Just a suggestion.
Cheers