Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Morrisey House, London On.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

See ya tonight Gedge! I won't be able to stay for long, but I will stop in for a beer and to say hi!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Hey Len - thanks for stopping by on Saturday. It was good to meet you.

Looks like we'll be back at the Moz in November and December.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Gedge wrote:Hey Len - thanks for stopping by on Saturday. It was good to meet you.

Looks like we'll be back at the Moz in November and December.

Excellent news. I enjoyed what I heard of your set. Quite unique.

Let me know the dates and I'll bring a few people by.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Next couple of shows at the Morrissey are November 21 and December 26.

hush

Post by hush »

I took a couple of people from work to the Morrissey today. It is a lovely pub in a great space and the staff were nice too.

I had a few Palm ambers which was a new beer for me; it was tasty - champagne malts and nicely balanced. My friend had a Dennision wheat which he enjoyed although he usually sticks to IPAs and Best Bitters (he had a Palm and a couple of ESB's after that).

I will definitely return and try the food. A dark micro or a cask would be nice though.

Flood

Post by Flood »

Last time I checked in, Mark (the proprietor) mentioned he has a keg of Big Dog Porter from Neustadt in the basement...

Cheers :)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Flood wrote:Last time I checked in, Mark (the proprietor) mentioned he has a keg of Big Dog Porter from Neustadt in the basement...

Cheers :)

Thanks Adil!!! I don't need many reasons to go to the Moz, but a keg of big dog will ensure my patronage even further. It seems to be getting scarce in these parts.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Recently went to the Moz to get some big dog. Service was great as always. Nice to see these guys supporting a few locals.

mozza

Post by mozza »

If you want any info about the bar, or have any suggestions for us, please let me know. I am about to re-do the bottle selection and want more Ontario offerings as it seems people have enjoyed what we have on tap so much. Thoughts have included (bottles) Black Oak Nut Brown, Iron Spike Dead Elephant Ale, Great Lakes, Waterloo Dark (have to take care of the rep!), Grand River, Neustadt, Hoptical Illusion, Wellington and one that I have heard so much about but not had the opportunity to try is Beau's All Natural.

Not sure what will be next for us on tap, right now it is the Big Dog Parter from Neustadt, but we are almost finished the second keg and are due for something else- past Ontario kegs have included, Denison's Weissbier, Grand River's Highballer Pumpkin and Plowman's Ale, Arkell Best Bitter from Wellington, and of course the Neustadt. Ideas are more than welcome!
please please please let me get what i want

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Mozza,

Thanks for posting.

In terms of bottles, I'd grab a few more OCB things that maybe aren't available elsewhere, or that are mainstays. The Nut Brown is a good idea. Beau's is not available anywhere in London at the moment, so that is also a great idea.
I also like the Idea of the Dead Elephant in bottle (the porter is also very good).
The fact that you rotate the Ontario tap keeps me coming in every couple weeks to see whats new (and to grab a mo burger).

Len

mozza

Post by mozza »

We are going to try to add some new beer by February 1st!

Bottle selections will include a few more craft breweries- all selected with quality in mind!

From the US, as per some of the suggestions posted on our site, as well as those we have seen on Beer Advocate and Bartowel sites, we hope to create a sense of excitement for those that love trying new beer. We will have Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

From closer to home, Black Oak Nut Brown Ale, Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion, Beaus Lug Tread Ale, Wellington Special Pale Ale, Grand River Plowman’s Ale, Iron Spike Dead Elephant Ale, Mill Street Organic Ale, KLB Raspberry Wheat…and from a little farther afield, we will also have the Blanche de Chambly. For those that like the Trappist style, Chimay White Cap will grace our shelves.

Our rotating tap will still be spinning… next up, Steamwhistle Pilsner from Toronto. Hopefully, the bottle selection will keep some people happy as the tap rotates to your next favourite!

We will still carry the 'major' brands- Budweiser, Bud Light, Blue Light, Coors Light, Fifty, Sol, Dos Equis, Kilkenny, Boddingtons, Fruli, Kronenbourg 1664 and Grolsch. Hope I listed them all!

If you are looking to help us clear our shelves, we do have some brands that will be discontinued- some have not been appreciated, some are unknown, and some are more suitable to warmer climates. So if you feel like a Nickel Brook Green Apple beer, ESB, Moosehead’s Cracked Canoe, Wellington Trailhead or a St Peter’s Organic Ale, stop by soon and help us make room for February’s selections!

WilliamEstevan

Post by WilliamEstevan »

I'm a huge fan of the Mo', I have to say. Except for when it catches on fire while I'm enjoying a--finally--nice, hoppy ale. Those firemen were certainly interested in having me pay my bill...

Good times, otherwise. The only thing that could make it better would be a nice, consistent craft selection; maybe a dedicated Grand River / Wellington rotating tap. Anything but F&M's crimes against beer...

Hopefully this is just a minor setback (ideally a setback which eliminated some of the Molbatt selections in the basement) and we're back on track soon. Four firetrucks is pretty awesome, though!

All kidding aside, it sounds like something went amiss in the basement which created a lot of smoke but nothing to worry about (other than my clothes, which a quick load of laundry will fix). Serious about the good Ontario tap, however; snobs will make sure it stays fresh.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

WilliamEstevan wrote:I'm a huge fan of the Mo', I have to say. Except for when it catches on fire while I'm enjoying a--finally--nice, hoppy ale. Those firemen were certainly interested in having me pay my bill...

Good times, otherwise. The only thing that could make it better would be a nice, consistent craft selection; maybe a dedicated Grand River / Wellington rotating tap. Anything but F&M's crimes against beer...

Hopefully this is just a minor setback (ideally a setback which eliminated some of the Molbatt selections in the basement) and we're back on track soon. Four firetrucks is pretty awesome, though!

All kidding aside, it sounds like something went amiss in the basement which created a lot of smoke but nothing to worry about (other than my clothes, which a quick load of laundry will fix). Serious about the good Ontario tap, however; snobs will make sure it stays fresh.

Sounds like you had fun at the Mo'. :)

I'm yet to experience the fire truck situation, but I'm guessing they save that for special nights.

My last visit was Family Day. I went for lunch and stayed for a while to watch the olympics.
Service was very good. Karen is a friendly face and remembers your name, and seems to appreciate the patronage. I left a decent tip.
They were steady for a Holiday Monday, which is good to see because it means more people are going there. Another couple was drinking craft.

I'd like to see a tap that consistently has one brewer on tap. Like you said, Will.......a Grand River Tap. Of course, the people at the Mo have to decide which is best for their business. I know the 666 was tasting awfully nice on tap last week, and the rotating taps seem to work for them.

I also supported their bottle offerings by getting a plowman's and a dead elephant.
The prices are very good for these bottles, and I hope it convinces people to try these offerings.

Overall, the Mo is doing a great job in balancing a craft beer selection with market demand of the molbatts stuff. I'll keep throwing them money as long as they maintain this path.

Len

mozza

Post by mozza »

The smell of burning rags! Yes, the dryer started smoking last night, London's finest showed up, and yes the bar did have smoke in it- febreeze is my best friend this morning, and I am saving the good stuff for the main floor as my office smells a lot! No issues though with the beer although the laundry room is adjacent! Nice of people to empty the lint trap...isn't that the first thing your mum teaches you when you are a kid? Let that be a lesson to all (and yes, it is a shared machine with the apartment dwellers above).

As for the beer! I thought that the rotating tap was the way to go only to introduce so many brands- and thus far, as you say, it has worked out for us and I think people like the change. Grand River was the first and certainly sold well, especially for the first attempt, and it has made it an easy sell, especially for something like the Denison's Weissbierwhich flew even though it was November! That is the brand that people have asked us most about bringing back and keeping. We have some decisions for the summer months! There have also been many inquiries about some import brands as well...we'll see what we come up with. The bottle selection is meant to appease some- and we have certainly sold more bottles since adding so many crafts.

Top sellers remain Keith's, Stella, Blue and the like, but we do a lot of Palm, Okanagan and Mill St too. The craft is pretty much a week and a half per keg which is not bad- and I am sure, once patio weather hits, we'll sell more as well.

Not sure about a full time Grand River tap, but as with all of the advice given, something we will think about for sure!

mozza

Post by mozza »

I forgot- the Wellington has been a really hard sell here- both tap and bottles- the Arkell was the longest two kegs on the rotating tap that we have had, and the Special Ale and Trailhead have been hard to move as well....suggestions?

also...that price for the DEA and Plowmans is an introductory price only. $4.75 is toooo low for those 500ml bottles and will be changing March 1, so get in here and drink it while you can!