Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

McAuslan to brew Carlberg

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

...for the Quebec market only. Moosehead/McAuslan has signed a new agreement for Carlsberg in Canada:

<a href="http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/Content ... 1">Toronto Star Link</a>

I love this quote about Carlsberg:

"When the consumer doesn't see many ads around, they assume a beer's not popular anymore and they stop drinking it"

Ugh. At least they could have said "mass-market consumer".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2003-12-02 10:00 ]</font>

Immotius

Post by Immotius »

I did read this. I think it was in the national post.. Did beer news make the CP newswire?

I didn't care about about the carlsberg no much as the fact that I didn't know Moosehead owned a minority(?) share of McAuslin.

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

On 2003-12-08 01:07, Immotius wrote:
I did read this. I think it was in the national post.. Did beer news make the CP newswire?

I didn't care about about the carlsberg no much as the fact that I didn't know Moosehead owned a minority(?) share of McAuslin.
I haven't found anything on newswire about the Carlsberg deal, but here's an old announcement that covers off the Moosehead, McAuslin relationship:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c4442.html

Maudite

Post by Maudite »

Moosehead purchased 45% of McAuslan about 3 years ago. This allowed Moosehead to grab some of the Quebec market with a "Lager:. This also enabled McAuslan to be distributed and represented in the Maritime Provinces. Carlsberg I heard was to be brewed out of the Maritimes.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Certainly McAuslin will benefit from the extra capacity but it also makes the truckloads to Premium Beer in Ontario fuller which makes it sound like a win-win-win for all three parties involved. Can they work it to eat into Stella marketshare? That is the question.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Carlsberg has been brewed in Canada for over 30 years now. Many regard this product to be just another domestic brand. Stella, while being the "Blue of Belgium" is of no higher quality than Carlsberg brewed in Canada, but it has the distinct advantage of being imported, and from the current darling beer country of Belgium. Good luck to Carlsberg (and Moosehead/McAuslan) making any inroads in that area.

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

It also has the distinct advantage of a green bottle, which gives it its much sought-after skunky taste and import cachet (Stella, that is).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dukeofyork on 2003-12-09 08:02 ]</font>

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

On 2003-12-08 21:48, DukeOfYork wrote:
It also has the distinct advantage of a green bottle, which gives it its much sought-after skunky taste and import cachet.
That's harsh man, very harsh - I mean the beer :grin:

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

On 2003-12-08 09:46, Maudite wrote:
This also enabled McAuslan to be distributed and represented in the Maritime Provinces.
That's interesting, because McAuslan (St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout and Pale Ale) is currently only available in Nova Scotia, and not in Moosehead's home province of New Brunswick, or in PEI.

Bobby