Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

How low will you go?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Matty D

How low will you go?

Post by Matty D »

This is one of those random thought threads purely for amusment and to pass time at work :lol:

The Question:
When out at a resteraunt that serves the typical Macro beers what is your go to drink or last resort beer?

For me I always ask for the full run down of the beer menu and strain to see what the tap handles have to offer. If I'm lucky there is Creemore Springs (no knock on them, love their stuff, but I find it's the only micro at most restaurants). Past that I will order a Guiness or switch to a Tom Collins.

So discuss amongst yourselves (or let this odd question drop from page one of the forum quickly :lol: )

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Steamwhistle or Creemore is about the lowest. Guinness is one of the wateriest beers out there and is usually $7.00 a pint, so no way!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

on the weekend i ordered a molson 67 at boston pizza

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I can't remember the last time I went somewhere local that didn't have a craft option, and in restaurants I usually split a bottle of wine with my wife or friends. However, in Japan most izakayas only pour one beer, so I drank my share of Asahi, Sapporo, Yebisu and Suntory. All shit beers, but good for the hot weather, and often automatically poured from a machine, which gets huge plus points for being so intrinsically Japanese.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Steamwhistle or Creemore is about the lowest.
Yeah, I'm always happy to see one of those on-tap... or the Labatt tower with Leffe or Hoe.

Every once in a while I'll order a Guinness or Richards as a reminder of what they're like... but I generally don't waste money on something I don't want. If I really need a drink, I'll have wine or a rye & coke.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

With all this said, I freely admit that from time to time, I indulge in a can of swill, but I buy it from LCBO, so I am not paying bar prices. My classic Faxe 10% blended with Crest 10% comes to mind.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

carguy

Post by carguy »

I have to admit that when in a resturant that offers ONLY macro choices, I would order a Creemore or Rickards Red.

$

Post by $ »

I was at the Phoenix to see Devo last night...that's the band with the flower pot hats who are in their 60s...

anyway, when the selection is sooooo bad, I always choose a beer that tastes the least like a beer...so last night, it was coors light...

TJ

Post by TJ »

$ wrote:I was at the Phoenix to see Devo last night...that's the band with the flower pot hats who are in their 60s...

anyway, when the selection is sooooo bad, I always choose a beer that tastes the least like a beer...so last night, it was coors light...
Oh man, I saw Billy Bragg there last weekend, and yeah. Horrible beer selection. I opted to just enjoy the show without paying too much for crappy beer served in plastic cups.

For the most part I'm the same as most. Creemore Springs and Steam Whistle seem to show up often enough that I get those and I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. Other than that Rickard's White and Newcastle Brown are about as low as I'll go.

probstk

Post by probstk »

Matty D wrote:This is one of those random thought threads purely for amusment and to pass time at work :lol:

The Question:
When out at a resteraunt that serves the typical Macro beers what is your go to drink or last resort beer?

For me I always ask for the full run down of the beer menu and strain to see what the tap handles have to offer. If I'm lucky there is Creemore Springs (no knock on them, love their stuff, but I find it's the only micro at most restaurants). Past that I will order a Guiness or switch to a Tom Collins.

So discuss amongst yourselves (or let this odd question drop from page one of the forum quickly :lol: )
Creemore's a solid go-to-brew. Beau's Koelsch is reasonably common in Ottawa. I tend to avoid restaurants with a shitty beer selection because often that means the food is likewise shitty or they are wine snobs who clearly have no respect for our fine beverage. If there's nothing but the most macro beers available, I switch to the wine list, hoping desperately they have a few offerings from the more reputable Chateaus... :lol:

probstk

Post by probstk »

SteelbackGuy wrote:With all this said, I freely admit that from time to time, I indulge in a can of swill, but I buy it from LCBO, so I am not paying bar prices. My classic Faxe 10% blended with Crest 10% comes to mind.
That's sounds like a recipe for blindness....I'll be sure to try it. :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

$ wrote:I was at the Phoenix to see Devo last night...that's the band with the flower pot hats who are in their 60s...

F'in hellhole, what do they chill beer in - the toilet tank??
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I usually don't do this, but I was splitting pitchers of 50 last night with my basketball team. Cheap pitchers at The Pour House of 50 or Bud Light on Tuesdays... one guy started to say, "Bud Light" and I got him to agree to switch to 50. I was still tempted to go off on my own with Tankhouse, but I didn't want to look like a jackass.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

If there's no Rickards Red I'll order the worst of what they have. It's a painful and somewhat necessary reminder of why I drink and promote good beer where I can.

Weissebier

Post by Weissebier »

When all else fails, I order an Export. If that fails, it is red wine. There is a restaurant not far from me that serves only Hienie for beer, and I mean only HIENIE!!! Would you like a Hienie, or would you like a Hienie??? That is what the founder drank, so it is good enough for everyone else.

Was at the Phoenix in March of '91 for "LobersterPaluza", only domestics at $8.00 a pop, and when you ordered one, you ordered another or two, cause you may not see the server for the next hour. We were discussing Devo at supper Saturday eve, right after listening to the Box!!! Yikes!!!

W.