Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Boycotting the LCBO-BS 2010

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

$ wrote:You guys are cracking me up.

I think a couple of you might want to take a break from alcohol. This is one of the most grumpy forums I have ever been on. Even arguing politics and religion has gotten me more polite responses.
GregClow wrote:But won't that make you "feel a bit guilty about choosing convenience over what is right"?
It does!!
Jon Walker wrote:It's amusing that so many people (myself included) have given this thread serious attention and replies.
It is! considering it's all meant to be fun and "tongue-in-cheekish". I mean come on, I've got a picture of the lcbo and beer store logos blowing up and being nuked...
Jon Walker wrote:bi-monthly boycott...how silly is that?) but I promise you it will be a lot of effort for zero impact. But, as I said before, whatever floats your boat.
That is correct, it is my silly boat to float.
and no, it's not a lot of effort at all, I've already been pretty much doing it for the last 6 months.
Jon Walker wrote: Since some folks can't be bothered to read the myriad of threads about this in the Bartowel archives
(wow... oh well...)
no really? people have discussed this before here!?!? no way seriously??! you must be joking. I'd never read a single thing here before my post. I better get down to some serious research.

mintjellie wrote: it's not what you say, it's how you say it. you come across as defensive. self-important. arrogant. you make ad hominem attacks on anyone who dares to disagree with your good fight and how you choose to fight it. you put words in other peoples mouths, and make wild assumptions about what other people are thinking (like you just did with me now).
Is this even worth replying too? Honestly I am much too important to bother, however...
I have to assume your reply is a joke, and it did make me laugh, but if it isn't then I am a little sad.
"Defensive"? as in responding to attacks or questions?(like what I'm doing right now?)
"Self-Important"? well, it is the most amazing boycott in the history of mankind
"ad hominem attacks" - uh, no

"put words in other people's mouths" - again, no
"and your mother sucks eggs" - that is too low I can't believe you'd say that

"Wild assumptions" - as in when I asked why you insulted me and gave a couple of possible options? What a crime!

I can't even assign a shitty beer to you!
Well, ok, go finish your case of... Keystone Ice! http://www.ratebeer.com/Brewers/Beer/Be ... s-2334.htm

Well "$", I;d say that based on what has been said here, you should probably go finish your 12 of moose light lime, pop your collar, and head to the euro bar so you can crush some brews........ohh and........try not to steal too many ideas from these guys.........I know it is hard.....but just please try..........

http://www.yikers.com/video_we_are_douchebags.html
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

How about where you implied that someone else lacked moral character for disagreeing with you? Thats attacking the person and not their argument. That's an ad hominem argument. Or do you even remember where you did that?

Go enjoy your little LCBO boycott while shopping where you say you're boycotting. :roll:

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

$

Post by $ »

Well it certainly is a drama...
1) Buy up as much of the GOOD beer the LCBO brings in
4) Lobby your M.P. to allow two-tiered liquor
Done that
2) Buy your beer directly from the brewer.
Doing that.
3) Lobby the LCBO to expand certain categories
Haven't done that.

As for comments about it being a PARTIAL BOYCOTT, I find the criticism weird.
Considering the extraordinary monopoly the LCBO holds, I think it is difficult for anyone to do a full boycott, due to the convenience factor.
I'm going to try but I don't think it will be 100% realistic.
The LCBO sucks. It loathes me every time they get a dime of my money. Less of my money is going to them, more to Ontario brewers and stores outside Ontario.

sigh...now for some drama...
mintjellie wrote:How about where you implied that someone else lacked moral character for disagreeing with you?
When I told the grumpy person that maybe they felt a bit guilty? Wow. Not so much I forgot as didn't even consider it, as I didn't see that as being serious.

Really that was a jab in response to his jabs if you'll notice. There should have been a smiley after that, but his insults pissed me off. Now why anyone would think shopping at the LCBO is morally wrong is so over the top, that I wouldn't even consider that the comment questioned his moral character.
If he was insulted by that comment, I would have been surprised and I would have apologized, but, he made no mention of it.
Just reviewing his post... nah he was being an ass hole. Maybe you missed it.
Good job you were able to pick out one of your points though. :roll:

Having said all that, I know it's difficult to remember that we are communicating with real human beings. The internet sucks in that you don't get body language, voice intonation, etc... I guess these little faces help :)

TJ

Post by TJ »

$ wrote:As for comments about it being a PARTIAL BOYCOTT, I find the criticism weird.
Considering the extraordinary monopoly the LCBO holds, I think it is difficult for anyone to do a full boycott, due to the convenience factor.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I find it weird that you're calling to boycott the LCBO but at the same time you're still going to buy from them. You can't have it both ways and call it a boycott.

Besides, if avoiding the LCBO except for when it is convenient, and buying only seasonals and their better offerings, then I think it's safe to say that the majority of people on this forum are already "boycotting" the LCBO. All we lack is a Facebook group and a thread on Bar Towel about it.

That said, good luck with your semiboycott. :)

$

Post by $ »

TJ wrote: if avoiding the LCBO except for when it is convenient, and buying only seasonals and their better offerings, then I think it's safe to say that the majority of people on this forum are already "boycotting" the LCBO. All we lack is a Facebook group and a thread on Bar Towel about it.
hahaha you're totally right!
man...all this drama for nothing. Well just drama with 2 people really. Everyone else made really good points and comments. Even mr grumpy.

Well...thank you all for selectively boycotting the LCBO. You are boycotters whether you like it or not! :D

I am going to still keep weaning myself off them of course

As no one seems interested in joining, and I'm now accused of being a troll ...bye!

oh...I just got an LCBO gift card in the mail. :lol:
My next thread will be to burn your LCBO gift cards. Or open a beer store and get arrested.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Regardless of the effectivness of boycotting a crown corp that bans competition, I think it is great that the liberalization of the Ontario alcochol market is being discussed at all. Our system is an outdated relic from the prohibition period and does nothing but restrict the freedom of Ontarians. It shouldn't be anyone's business what concenting adults are purchasing from each other (yes, not even an LCBO bureaucrat).

Wanting to liberalize the market and keep the LCBO should be the minimum, whereas I see no point to the LCBO even existing (similar to how I don't see a need for a Grocery Control Board of Ontario or a DVD Player Control Board of Ontario). The Beer Store should be free to continue if they feel like it, but I can't imagine it lasting long with competition unless they radically change their business model.