Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

10th Anniversary Beer to be released in November

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Soods

Post by Soods »

Agree totally with what's been said before...this is a great great beer. Sure doesn't go down like an 8% beer!!! Best beer I've had in quite some time.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I think this thread should be under Beer Reviews.

I've had this 3 times now and here are my observations about the beer and the price point.

C'est What: Regular pint, $5.90 + taxes
A very well made beer. Very hoppy and bitter. The 8% ABV shows, but just barely. Well Done Black Oak!

Volo: Cask $6.95 + taxes for 300 ml.
Still good, but flavours are not quite as pronounced as the regular pour.

Rhino: Regular pint, $6 all incl.
Had the same aroma, but the taste was different. The aftertaste was strange; can't quite describe it

I would have this one every time out, but unfortunately I have to go into the big city to get it. :(

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'm going to be downtown this afternoon - is it on at Volo or the Vic?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Just had a pint of this last night - this beer is world class. As far as Double IPAs go, this stands toe to toe with anything from Stone/Alesmith/Three Floyds IMO. Even more so - its fresh and on draft :)

It would be a real shame if we didn't get an 11 bitter years next year, and a 12 after that....

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

A wrote:Just had a pint of this last night - this beer is world class. As far as Double IPAs go, this stands toe to toe with anything from Stone/Alesmith/Three Floyds IMO. Even more so - its fresh and on draft :)

It would be a real shame if we didn't get an 11 bitter years next year, and a 12 after that....
You've evidently not had any beers from Stone/Alesmith/Three Floyds. Ten Bitter Years is a great beer but I would hesitate to label it a double IPA. Much too malty.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

viggo wrote:
A wrote:Just had a pint of this last night - this beer is world class. As far as Double IPAs go, this stands toe to toe with anything from Stone/Alesmith/Three Floyds IMO. Even more so - its fresh and on draft :)

You've evidently not had any beers from Stone/Alesmith/Three Floyds. Ten Bitter Years is a great beer but I would hesitate to label it a double IPA. Much too malty.
I echo this, there is no way this a DIPA in any universe. It's a good beer, perhaps even one of the best to come out of Ontario but if this is what people think is a DIPA it only goes to show that our brewers are way behind everyone else in the hops department.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ritzkiss wrote:
viggo wrote:

I echo this, there is no way this a DIPA in any universe. It's a good beer, perhaps even one of the best to come out of Ontario but if this is what people think is a DIPA it only goes to show that our brewers are way behind everyone else in the hops department.

And that hops department is my favourite department!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

hopdevil wrote:I think this thread should be under Beer Reviews.

Volo: Cask $6.95 + taxes for 300 ml.
Still good, but flavours are not quite as pronounced as the regular pour.
Interesting, I generally like Duggan #9 WAY better on regular draught than on 'cask.' Bitter Years is great on regular co2 Draught.

I like the off-beat style of the Black Oak 10th Anniversary, and it holds up really well next to some amped-up American IPA beers, Stone and others. Juicy and peachy-citrus flavors.

Big things ahead, Black Oak!!
In Beerum Veritas

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

viggo wrote:

I'd call it a DIPA before I'd call it a barleywine or any other style... Agree it is maltier than typical DIPAs (IMO a good thing) but I'm not sure that would knock it out of the style, any more than a single IPA could be too malty for the style.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

ritzkiss wrote:
viggo wrote:

Wait, are you saying its not hoppy enough to be a DIPA? That I would have to object to - The only beer I've had that I can recall being much hoppier was something like the Dogfish 90 minute IPA. Maybe its not quite as oppressively bitter because of the amount of malt but I cant imagine a beer being hoppier without having hop cones floating on the surface! :D

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Ratebeer calls it a Double IPA FYI

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

A wrote:
ritzkiss wrote:
viggo wrote: You've evidently not had any beers from Stone/Alesmith/Three Floyds. Ten Bitter Years is a great beer but I would hesitate to label it a double IPA. Much too malty.
Wait, are you saying its not hoppy enough to be a DIPA? That I would have to object to - The only beer I've had that I can recall being much hoppier was something like the Dogfish 90 minute IPA. Maybe its not quite as oppressively bitter because of the amount of malt but I cant imagine a beer being hoppier without having hop cones floating on the surface! :D
No doubt this is a great beer, and a tough one to classify (which is why Ken said its a 10th anniversary beer). However, I wouldn't say its anything over standard IPA hop-presence. In fact I tried it side by side with a Moylan's Hopsickle - and it handed Black Oak's ass to it on a plate. Like I said, still a great beer, but only a hopbomb by Ontario standards.

Also, for what its worth, beer styles on the websites are user entered and just the views of one individual, so its not really an appeal to authority.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

I'm sure there are beers that can out-hop it, but I think its at least as hoppy if not hoppier than Bell's Hop Bomb, for example.

Anyways most of the ratings on ratebeer refer to it as a DIPA also, so I'd have to go with the majority - if you cant call it something else you have to call it a DIPA. Case closed :)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

FWIW, im pretty sure ratebeer is going to re-classify this one as an American Strong Ale

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Incredible brew! Love that citrusy/grapefruity taste. Great job Ken!

BTW... Ten Bitter Years is currently the Beer of the moment at beerbistro.