Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mike Duggan's New Brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bartle

Post by bartle »

I was indeed impressed with service, food, and the beer was alright as well.
The porter will be highly ranked in my books. Nothing else really stood out the same.

The Stout has improved since cask days. anyone ever have Whoppers (the malted chocolate ball)?

Food prices seemed a little high, but granted they have a fantastic chef.
Food seemed fairly creative too.

This may never be a regular spot for myself, but I hope this place prospers. I'll be back soon enough I am sure.

cheers,
-b
enjoi

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I really enjoyed the food there. I had the pork hock and it was too big for me, but still delicious. There were several other items on the menu that looked good too. For the beers that were new to me, the Asian Lager was the biggest stand out. I really enjoyed the Weissbier.

I liked the look of the place and the service was excellent (given it being the 2nd day open, I wasn't sure what to expect for service). I'm going to be back often likely.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Went last night. Great to have another place to go. Food was great. Had the oysters and the meat pie. Beer was great...No 9 was very fresh. I hope that they last there!

Disappointed with the downstairs though....it's not set up completely yet, but I used to love the downstairs when it was still Denisons with the bar in the center of the room. It's now a big open space with the bar along the front wall.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Be warned, blue cheese in the cole slaw (???) I generally hate "surprise cheese" in my food (the menu says very little actually) and cole slaw just doesn't need blue in it.
In Beerum Veritas

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

lister wrote:Someone has posted a brief food description on chowhound:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/673579#5257664

I'll be trying the curry poutine and the pulled pork sandwich on our first visit.
The chow review mentions this:

"Ambiance: Fine, nothing special. Careful w/ the tabletops -- they appear to have been stained recently, and the stain comes off if you get them wet."

I can confirm this - ruined my shirt sleeves! be careful

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Great spot, happy to see it open. Had a couple beers - Weisse, Fest & Stout, all very good. Curry poutine was tasty. Lots of space, friendly staff, service was great.

Congrats Mike in getting everything going. Looking forward to visiting regularly.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

So does anyone know what the regular hours are for Duggan's (if such a thing has been established yet)? Will they be open for lunches in the week?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

This is the number 1 brewpub in Ontario, and I will be back. Bobsy, they told me yes for lunches for the season.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

do they do sample flights or small pours?

whats the average entree price?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

they will sample whatever you want to drink, but as in most places, it taste different in a pint glass that is handled more carefully.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

northyorksammy wrote:This is the number 1 brewpub in Ontario, and I will be back. Bobsy, they told me yes for lunches for the season.
Cheers Sammy! I may pop by with my parents today after doing a bit of skating in front of city hall.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Hit Duggan's for lunch today, and was as impressed as everyone else has been.

Both beers I tried - my own pint of Festbier, and a taste of the wife's Stout - were spot on, and the food was excellent as well. Sheryl had fish and chips, and I had the pulled pork sandwich, which had a nice touch of curry in the sauce. The fries were fantastic (we reckon they might be using beef fat for at least part of the frying oil), and the touch of blue cheese in the dressing on the cole slaw was delicious.

Our only complaint was that the buns they brought out before we got our meals were bland and slightly stale dinner rolls. If you're going to do a bread basket, liven it up a bit! But really, that's a tiny issue - everything else was top notch. Looking forward to many more meals and pints there!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I was also there for lunch and ran into Greg on his way out.

I had the porter and the pulled pork - both were excellent. As Greg mentioned, there was something extra in the pulled pork that put it in another league - I guess it was the curry. I like my pulled pork saucy, and this fit the bill. Very good fries.

My wife has the weisse and beef ribs. The weisse was nice, the ribs were very tender, but a little lacking in flavour to me.

The lunch menu is the same as the dinner menu.

Very friendly service.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It sounds great... I'll definitely have to make it down sometime.

I wonder when google mapped it... there appears to be someone brewing!
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 97,,1,7.02

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

I think that's just the guy's reflection... but obviously, brewing did occur at some recent point in time. :)
Mat