Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Garrison Announcement - Autumn 2010

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Garrison Announcement - Autumn 2010

Post by Cass »

Got an exciting announcement about Garrison IPA in Ontario...

http://freeourbeer.org/?p=74

Would like to note that this doesn't affect the current private order which is proceeding through the LCBO process as planned. It should expedite quite quickly since one order has already been through the works.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

That's really terrific news and hopefully worth the effort for you. It's a great beer and it will be a pleasure to buy it from the LCBO. It is always nice to see great Canadian beers coming in as well as their American counterparts, we have some great beer here in Canada but with the crap distribution most of it stays close to home.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

has an imperial IPA ever been at the LCBO? my memory is good, but short

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Congratulations Cass, great news indeed! Best of luck with this and other submissions.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Nice!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I'll definitely be picking up some if and when it arrives. Best of luck!

wilco

Post by wilco »

The only thing I don't like about this is the fact that I have to wait till Autumn

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Nice! Hope they jump in with both feet. I can see this going really quickly.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

northyorksammy wrote:has an imperial IPA ever been at the LCBO? my memory is good, but short
Just name confusion, but it's actually just a very good "Single" (not Double) IPA.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:has an imperial IPA ever been at the LCBO? my memory is good, but short
Just name confusion, but it's actually just a very good "Single" (not Double) IPA.
Actually, the name of the beer was recently changed from Imperial Pale Ale to Imperial IPA.

Whether or not it's a "real" Imperial/Double IPA is still a matter of debate for some people. But that's what the brewery is calling it now.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for all the responses. Pretty exciting to see how this unfolds. There's a hell of a lot of paperwork involved but the LCBO has been accommodating up to this point.

It is amazing how early these decisions are made. FYI, the deadline for winter warmers is January 15th, so within the next month or two most of the beer selections for the year will be set.

And yes, Garrison did decide to change the name from Imperial Pale Ale to Imperial I.P.A. The beer itself did not change.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Congrats Cass! (Great news for all the beer drinkers in Onterrible).

I imagine it won't come in under the LCBO $3 price point, but I think people will pay for this one.

The name change is a little unfortunate... I think it's more of an IPA and a half, making it a seriously kick-ass IPA, but it doesn't measure up to the American Imperials.

Names produce expectations... but I think this one's good enough that people still won't be disappointed.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

That is great news. I think we are now seeing the hoppier IPAs starting to take hold in Ontario. I think people are beginning to move away from the standard fare...at least a little bit.

Releases like this just mean that I will spend more beer dollars in Canada rather than going across the border.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Good job. Excellent news. The more quality Canadian products the better.

BJCP STYLE CHART, 2008 UPDATE

STYLE OG FG ABV% IBU SRM
14. INDIA PALE ALE (IPA)
A. English IPA 1.050-75 1.010-18 5.0-7.5 40-60 8-14
B. American IPA 1.056-75 1.010-18 5.5-7.5 40-70 6-15
C. Imperial IPA 1.070-90 1.010-20 7.5-10.0 60-120 8-15

The Garrison IPA is listed as OG=1.070, abv=7.0% and IBU=70. The OG and abv would correspond to an FG of around 1.018. So technically it misses getting in the door to the Imperial IPA club by 0.5% abv.

Having said that, it is probably a perfect candidate for the Ontario market to expand their hop loving horizons another step.

Looking forward to it.
Last edited by cannondale on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thanks for working on this Cass. It will be a great addition to the local scene.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!