Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2010 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

JesseMcG wrote:
matt7215 wrote:did this release also include westmalle triple last year? if so thats two great trappist products missing in 2010.
Oh man... I think you're right. Depressing.
It was indeed:
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... 59&start=0

The loss of Orval is the bigger shame. :(

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Derek wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:
matt7215 wrote:did this release also include westmalle triple last year? if so thats two great trappist products missing in 2010.

The loss of Orval is the bigger shame. :(
oh without a doubt! the the loss of orval is terrible, but add to it the loss of westmalle and this is a big step backwards.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

That is troubling, maddening, and saddening, all at the same time. Releases seemed to be improving annually, up to this point. And I can't imagine that these ones didn't sell!? Anyone know who reps those beers for Ontario? (Or is this something that I don't wanna know?)
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

The_Jester wrote:That is troubling, maddening, and saddening, all at the same time. Releases seemed to be improving annually, up to this point. And I can't imagine that these ones didn't sell!? Anyone know who reps those beers for Ontario? (Or is this something that I don't wanna know?)
esprit reps both orval and westmalle

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

There are a few on that list that I'll be trying. But overall it's a meh release.

If anyone needs Orval, you can still get it quite easily at SAQ's in Quebec. I'd be happy to trade some to anyone that is looking for it.

probstk

Post by probstk »

GregClow wrote:
Bobsy wrote:I've updated the links as Russ suggested, so you'll now find both Beer Advocate and Ratebeer listed. Here's the new list (sadly containing the same beers):

http://www.bartowel.com/?p=706
And I've just updated it to have all of the LCBO numbers be links to the online inventory (although many of them will bring up a blank product screen at the moment, since most aren't in the system currently).

Have also edited the first post in this thread to match.
Thank you both. This is really helpful. Cheers!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

This isn't that exciting, but I am going to buy 8/11 of them at least once. It's too bad that there isn't any one of them that I'll be really upset if I miss, like there has been on previous seasonal releases.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

For those disappointed with this release - if it's any consolation, the second increased shipment of Ola Dubh 40 should arrive around the same time. :wink:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

GregClow wrote:For those disappointed with this release - if it's any consolation, the second increased shipment of Ola Dubh 40 should arrive around the same time. :wink:
If I remember correctly, josh said it would be about 100 cases, which should mean that most folks here get to try some. I took the 40 over to a friend's house and we split it as a nightcap and did it side-by-side with the 12. While the 40 is ridiculously expensive for a 12oz bottle that tasting made me realise it may well be worth it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
67173 / Traflagar Oak Aged Rye / $4.25 / 650

-the LCBO has a history of picking Trafalger brews and likely see's potential in the "oak aged" market
-this must have performed decently to get picked up again
-i wont buy a bottle
Along with the Celtic Irish, a fully drinkable beer.

I realize that's like saying a KIA is a fully driveable car.
In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Bobsy wrote:While the 40 is ridiculously expensive for a 12oz bottle that tasting made me realise it may well be worth it.
You just had to go and say that did ya? Fantastic, now I've no choice but to go out and spend $18.40 on 330 mL of beer.

Thanks a bunch.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cannondale wrote:
Bobsy wrote:While the 40 is ridiculously expensive for a 12oz bottle that tasting made me realise it may well be worth it.
You just had to go and say that did ya? Fantastic, now I've no choice but to go out and spend $18.40 on 330 mL of beer.

Thanks a bunch.

It IS a good beer. Maybe worth trying once. Certainly not worth the hype or the price point. IMO of course.
After I drank my first, I had a bit of buyer's regret that I had one more. I can always return it of course, but I won't. I'll share it with someone who wants to try it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

have a 40 and hope things are better in (20)40 in Ontario's beer scene.

TJ

Post by TJ »

SteelbackGuy wrote:It IS a good beer. Maybe worth trying once. Certainly not worth the hype or the price point. IMO of course.
After I drank my first, I had a bit of buyer's regret that I had one more. I can always return it of course, but I won't. I'll share it with someone who wants to try it.
That's pretty much how I felt about it. I grabbed two. Had one. And it was good, but not $18.40 good. So I gifted the second one to a buddy of mine at Christmas. He enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.

Considering what $18.40 can get me (pretty near five Westmalle Dubbels, six Aventinus, seven Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stouts, etc.) I'll just chalk this one up to something I tried once and enjoyed but don't need to have again and I'll sit back and curiously watch to see how well Ola Dubh 40 sells without the benefit of scarcity.

So yeah. It's not really much of a consolation prize in the face of a mediocre release in my opinion.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Perhaps solace can be found with a look back at the infamous Spring 2007 release..

http://www.bartowel.com/?p=269
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.