Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post by Derek »

I'm sipping one of my last bottles of a dubbel I bottled on Jan 29, 2005 (this was only the second brew I mashed).

What was I thinking? (sort of a Chimay red clone)

2.5 kg Munich
0.75 kg Vienna
0.5 kg Crystal 30/40
0.25 kg Crystal 70/80
300 g Jaggery sugar
150 g Demerara sugar
3.5 # of pale LME (was limited by a 5 Ga mash tun)

33 g Hallertau (4.5% aa)
15 g Northern brewer (8.2% aa)

60 minute boil with both hops (what was I thinking?)

OG=70
FG=11

WLP500 cake.

I thought it was too dry, so I bottled with 250 g of Malto dextrose, bringing the gravity up to 1.021 (WHAT WAS I THINKING??).

I used Lyles golden syrup to prime it.

It ended up a little sweet (especially to my taste now), but it has aged nicely and it's still quite drinkable.

Cheers to brewing & learning!

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

drinking a cider with a little malt and hops. I added 2lbs light dme and steeped 10 ounces 60l crystal malt. Also added 1/2 ounce sazz hops for 40 min boil. Turned out pretty good. Definetly getting better the longer it sits. I has been a month since bottling and just now i am enjoying it fully.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

BIG NUT Brown Ale

Inspired by the Amsterdam Nut Brown, brewed for the SOB contest.

The plan was to do an India Brown Ale, cutting back on the crystal to dry it out like an IPA, and of course hopping it like an American IPA.

5# American Pale
5# Marris Otter
2.2# Biscuit
1# Weyermann CaraMunich I
1# Crystal 120L
0.5# Chocolate Malt

1oz Simcoe 12.2%AA - 60 min
1oz Amarillo 7.5%AA - 30 min
1oz Centennial 8%AA - 20 min
1oz Willamette 5.5%AA - 10 min
1oz Simcoe - dry hop

OG=1.062
FG=1.012

The Amsterdam is lightly finished with Fuggle, so I thought I'd finish with the new-world derivative Willamette, thinking the woodsy spicing would go with the nutty flavour.

When I racked to secondary, it was right on track with what I had envisioned. Knowing the hops would fade, I dry hopped with an ounce of Simcoe. Man did that take over!

Not something I'd normally brew, but I might actually give it another go. A little less chocolate, cut back (or eliminate the dry hop), and maybe even add some oats to try & cut some of the hop acidity.

That said, the certified judge commented that if he was rating an Imperial Brown, he'd give it 38/50 (which was a pleasant surprise!). :D

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I had my cool runnings dry stout with some shepherds pie; then had the Imperialish chocolate oatmeal this evening.

jcc

Post by jcc »

My TAFTH (Teach a Friend to Homebrew) Bock as post-work relaxer.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Saison

70% pils malt
30% light wheat

tettanger hops

wyeast belgian saison strain

simple, easy, splendid (and after only a week in the bottle)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

My SMaSH Alt... double decocted light Munich and Mt. Hood (finished with homegrown hops).

After only a little more than 2 weeks in the bottle at cellar temps, the carbonation is a little light, but it's tasty.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Derek wrote:I'm sipping one of my last bottles of a dubbel I bottled on Jan 29, 2005 (this was only the second brew I mashed).
Good God, man. What will power you have. I think I have maybe 2 bottles that are from late 2008. I have no will power.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

just bottled this
matt7215 wrote:i had a fun day today:

3 gallon batch

3 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs wheat malt

.5 oz willamet mashed

OG 1.040

cooled and pitched the dregs of some homebrewed biere de garde (100% bret b)

1 gallon batch

1 lb pilsner malt
1 lb flaked wheat

no hops, no boil

pitched 0.5 lbs of raw pils grain and 2 acidophilus pills

OG 1.030

next weekend im goin to strain the one gallon batch with some cheese cloth and blend it into the 3 gallon batch. ill let that go for about a month then rack it to secondary.
im currently drinking what didnt fit into the bottles i cleaned

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

popped the first liter of rocky Rye Bock....very happy with the resulys This one had 5 weeks of cold conditioning. Very smooth and roasty with a great rye-noble bite at the end.
Aventinus rules!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

My last cider fermented with Chimay yeast.

My Jingle Belgian (Christmas) Dark Ale from 2005.

My Belgian chocolate stout... finished with Orval yeast and bottled up with three oak cubes for 4 years... man that was a gusher! Very tasty though.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I'm just finishing some cider made last month as well.....used champagne yeast, lemon zest, brown sugar ...nice tart-dry fizzy cider....great chilled on the porch in this hot weather.
Aventinus rules!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

pootz wrote:I'm just finishing some cider made last month as well.....used champagne yeast, lemon zest, brown sugar ...nice tart-dry fizzy cider....great chilled on the porch in this hot weather.
what cider did you use?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I still see the Presidents Choice Cider at Value Mart. Just the plain, fresh-pressed cider, not the spiced/mulled one.

I used some of the mulled stuff in the fall, and I really didn't like the taste of the spices in the fermented cider. It had a bit of a cinnamon toothpaste to it.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

homebrewed unblended lambic