Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Garrison Black IPA to be released February 2nd

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Garrison Black IPA to be released February 2nd

Post by Bobsy »

Yes, I know calling something a black IPA doesn't make much sense, but who cares, its a new and awesome style and the boys at Garrison have brewed some up. Here's the scoop from a thread on BA:
Alright so here's the deal: my partner's down in San Diego alot & the current rage is Black IPA, so why not! Very tasty mix of high hoppiness & choclatety roast malt. A hybrid for sure but lot's to love about this so keep an open mind. Upfront, it's a blend but we've gone a step further by dry-hopping & conditioning another 2 weeks. Was amazing in the firkin & is beautiful in the tank. Bottles will be limited but won't rule out a second run. Just waiting on labels now but hoping for Feb 2nd.
Looks like it will be limited to NS, but I'm hoping that this one becomes part of the permanent lineup and eventually finds its way to Ontario.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Given it's a blend (I presume stout and ImPA) I was starting to wonder if they were doing it as a pre-cursor to being part of the LCBO's black and tan kick.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

So it would be the martello stout mixed with the imperial IPA, and I'm presuming dry-hopped with cascades, or something similar to the IIPA's profile.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This looks interesting, and personally I feel the black IPA concept is a justifiable one, i.e., is truly a new beer style. English porter was bitter but not aromatic (from hops). Pale ale on the other hand always had significant hop flavour. The black IPAs I've had have a roasted quality from patent or other dark malts but also offer a marked hop aroma. This is what distinguishes black IPA from IPA or classic porter as such.

Gary
Gary Gillman