Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Noble Pils

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Noble Pils

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This is a product not available in Canada, it is a new Sam Adams product, or new to me, and warrants mention by virtue of being truly outstanding. I had it on draft at La Guardia's airport bar. It has a fine rich clean malt flavour and a big fresh taste of Hallertauer hops (or a similar variety) that are of the highest quality. I can't imagine any European pils would be better. Quite honestly it blew away most of the craft beers sampled recently in New York except for the amazing Sinebrychoff porter on draft at Gingerman and a handful of other beers there, e.g., a Leipzig Gose from Germany and some of the Brew Dog beers they are featuring now. Brew Dog is really reaching its stride and the beers strike me as a kind of trans-Atlantic blending, they seem to combine some of the best features of American and English beers. One I liked a lot was Davine, a circa 12% ABV dark ale stored in a whisky cask. Another was 5:00 a.m., an amber beer, 5% ABV with a West Coast-like hopping. Top-class.

Gary
Gary Gillman

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

How does the SA Noble Pils compare to Victory Prima, Sly Fox Pikeland, King Pils, and Brooklyn Pils?

I love pilsener and will have to remember to grab some of this if I find myself in the US.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

All mentioned are excellent and I must add Mike Duggan's German Pils. I have a particular admiration for Duggan's, Victory's and Sam Adams'.

Gary
Gary Gillman

TJ

Post by TJ »

mintjellie wrote:How does the SA Noble Pils compare to Victory Prima, Sly Fox Pikeland, King Pils, and Brooklyn Pils?

I love pilsener and will have to remember to grab some of this if I find myself in the US.
It's a great beer. I probably like Prima Pils more. And then King. But it's definitely worth picking up.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I was a little disappointed in the Noble Pils to be honest. It seemed to me that I enjoyed the White Ale that it replaced much more.

Much prefer the Victory Prima to this(haven't tried the others sorry)

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Timmy wrote:I was a little disappointed in the Noble Pils to be honest. It seemed to me that I enjoyed the White Ale that it replaced much more.

Much prefer the Victory Prima to this(haven't tried the others sorry)
King is very well crafted traditional Czech-style pils, brewed right here in Ontario. It's worth checking out if you like pilsener.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

The Noble Pils is available in six pack bottles here in Newfoundland. I like it.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Timmy wrote:I was a little disappointed with the Noble Pils to be honest. I prefer Victory Prima Pils
^ What he said ^

This is my review on BA. Gave it a 3.7 (B):

"Saffron golden yellow with a ring of white head and threads of lacing on the pint glass. Grainy funkiness on the nose, hops are very mild (I get some lime), sort of flowery, honey and pils malt in the background. Flavour is fresh wheat and lemon grass with a spicy, citric hop bite and dryly malted finish. Not nearly as bold or tasty as I thought it would be. Nice crisp mouthfeel, light-bodied and peppery. A trace of Noble bitterness lingers on the palate. Good overall, but I'm pretty disappointed. I bought into the BA hype, expecting an excellent beer, and this is really just a better-than-average pils. Great for a session, though I prefer Victory Prima."

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Interesting how perceptions vary. Mine was heavy-bodied with a big resinous fresh hops taste and finish, the only parallel locally I could give is Pilsner Urquel, or a cross between that and Mike Duggan's German Pils perhaps. Mine was on draft which might make a difference in some cases but it depends also on the draft freshness, mine left heavy rings on the glass and seemed very recently packaged.

Gary
Gary Gillman

nicktbm

Post by nicktbm »

I've tried both the draft and the bottle, and felt they were both a little lack luster.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

nicktbm wrote:I've tried both the draft and the bottle, and felt they were both a little lack luster.

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see an influx of Londoners joining up!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I had it the last time I was in New York. I found myself wanting more. Not that it was a bad beer, just I was expecting more. It wasn't all that hoppy. Although well balanced I just found the taste subdued and not as pronounced as I would have liked. Good beer, I'll have it again, but wouldn't be my first choice.