Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Your First "Go To" Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lecocq

Your First "Go To" Beer

Post by Lecocq »

I thought I would start up a post to get some conversation going on what your first " go to" beer was that you bought / drank most often when first starting out drinking beer way back when? It may be humourous to see what we started out drinking compared to what our tastes are currently.

For me, my first beer that I drank on a regular basis was Molson Dry. I drank my fair share back in my early 20's. From there I moved onto Old Vienna for years. Truthfully, I still don't mind the odd O.V. every once in awhile.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

For me, I sadly started on Castlemaine XXXX before rapidly moving onto Thwaite's Best Bitter on cask and interchanging with Flower's IPA & bitter.

Actually, I started drinking Heineken & Stone's Best Bitter back in the late 70's, early 80's (when I was way underage) :wink:

And from that point on it's been all about bitter 'n dark.
Last edited by Torontoblue on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Lecocq wrote:For me, my first beer that I drank on a regular basis was Molson Dry. I drank my fair share back in my early 20's. From there I moved onto Old Vienna for years. Truthfully, I still don't mind the odd O.V. every once in awhile.
Yeah, I think for me it was Molson Dry too. Although also Sleeman's too. My dad always drank it and still does. I break up his streak whenever I see him and bring him some Grand River.
Back it my 20's it seemed like Molson and Labatts were always trying to one-up each other with dry beers, ice beers, higher alcohol beers. Most of them seem laughable now, but back then it seemed somewhat innovative (I still have 2 unopened bottles of Labatt "X" and "Y")
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Molson Golden Ale. Dad was an Ex drinker, but it didn't do anything for me, and at that time (early 70's) Golden was the Good Smooth Ale and had those kick ass commercials, so that was good enough for me. Several years later, I switched over to the Carling O'Keefe version of Carlsberg Light and stayed with that until Carlsberg production went over to Labatt's.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Usually Bud or Blue. Now I have moved on to better things, and now can barely even drink Bud anymore without feeling like crap. I don't know how I drank the stuff back then!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i started with camerons cream ale 9 packs and creemore springs lager when it came in the 500ml glass bottles. my buck-a-beer of choice was carling black label.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Export and Bud.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Seriously though - no one else started out drinking malt liqour?

Publican

Post by Publican »

Molson Canadian and when visiting the US Miller Genuine Draft. First craft beers Upper Canada Lager and Dark Ale when these beers were brewed in Toronto

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Molson Export and the small group of macro ales then popular in Quebec (Labatt 50, Laurentide Ale, etc.). I still like a pint of Molson Ex when particularly fresh and well-served.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I'm from London, so there was no choice but to go with the flow and drink 50.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Molson Canadian for years, then several years of Rickard's Red before starting to branch out into craft beers.

Flood

Post by Flood »

OE

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

It was Sleeman's Cream Ale and Honey Brown for me.