Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good Brews Right Now

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lukie

Good Brews Right Now

Post by Lukie »

Greetings All;

Can any one recommend any great beers currently available at the LCBO?
I've tried some of their Spring releases (like Aventinus IB, Christoffel Nobel, Carolus Cabrio) and plan to pick up the RUSSIAN GUN IMPERIAL STOUT this week. Id like to try something new though. Are there any other notable beers currently available at the LCBO (save for Leffe, Chimay,Affligem, Vansteenberge and Unibrue beers, which i get regularly) I'm sure im missing something worthwhile, so what is it?

Also I'm very fond of La Trappe Quad. Does anyone know a vendor who carries this one? I'm pretty sure Espirit doesnt. I wish the LCBO brought this one along with Westmalle Tripel back to its line up. And I'm definitely going to miss Thomas Hardy's Ale. Its nearly gone.

Any recommendations are welcome!!!

Thanks all!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

- Southern Tier IPA
- Dogfish Head 60 mins
- Hoegaarden
- Weihenstephaner Hefe-Weizen
- Rogue Brutal Bitter
- Fuller's Vintage Ale
- Adnam Broadside
- Sinha Stout
- Young's Double Chocolate Stout
- Victory Prima Pils
- Ste Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
- Paulaner Salvator

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

iguenard wrote:- Southern Tier IPA
- Dogfish Head 60 mins
- Hoegaarden
- Weihenstephaner Hefe-Weizen
- Rogue Brutal Bitter
- Fuller's Vintage Ale
- Adnam Broadside
- Sinha Stout
- Young's Double Chocolate Stout
- Victory Prima Pils
- Ste Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
- Paulaner Salvator
Great list. Exactly what I wanted. I'm such a noob but I feel like a kid in a candy shop cause I'm going to try most of these for the first time. Anyone else? I'm partial to good ales, esp. tripels ,quads, barley wines etc.....Anyone know where I can purchase La trappe Quad? I enjoyed the complex, plum taste in that one. It was a hefty sipper.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

step#1) go to drinkvine.com

step#2) create an account

step#3) search top drinks

that should help

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

matt7215 wrote:step#1) go to drinkvine.com

step#2) create an account

step#3) search top drinks

that should help

It really does although i wish the top drinks section were a little more extensive. Much more useful than the LCBO search though. Thanks!

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

If you can find some people to split a case with you (or can afford one yourself), pick up some rochefort 10 and st. bernardus 12, both great belgium quads available from esprit.

Also worth picking up some 6 packs of the unibrou products (maudite, trois pistoles), and letting them age a bit. Can't go wrong for the price.

Other favourites of mine at the LCBO are:
Anchor Liberty Ale
Headstrong Pale Ale
Denison's Weissbeer

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

here are my top 20 regular list LCBO product with my ratebeer.com score

1) Schneider Aventinus 5/5
2) Unibroue La Fin Du Monde 4.6/5
3) Chimay Triple 4.4/5
4) Denisons Weissbier 4.4/5
5) Lion Stout (Sinha Stout) 4.4/5
6) Duvel 4.3/5
7) Fullers London Porter 4.2/5
8 ) Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA 4.2/5
9) Southern Tier IPA 4.2/5
10) Mill Street Tankhouse Ale 4.2/5
11) Mill Street Coffee Porter 4.2/5
12) Grand River Galt Knife Old Style Lager 4.2/5
13) Unibroue Maudite 4.2/5
14) St. Ambroise Pale Ale 4.2/5
15) St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout 4.1/5
16) Fullers ESB 4.1/5
17) Anchor Liberty Ale 4.1/5
18 ) Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted 4.1/5
19) Chimay Rouge 4/5
20) Pilsner Urquell 4/5

all of those are general list and should be easy to find

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

If you like hoppy beers i would definetly search out the liberty ale. Its great stuff i found a case at a store near me using drinkvine and bought the what they had in stock.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

don't over look the Anchor steam beer if you see it. :wink:
Aventinus rules!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

If you can find it, King Pilsner is about the best Czech Pils you can possibly get your hands on.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

boney wrote:If you can find it, FRESH!! King Pilsner is about the best Czech Pils you can possibly get your hands on.
fixed

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

++

Propellor ESB
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

xocoatl wrote:If you can find some people to split a case with you (or can afford one yourself), pick up some rochefort 10 and st. bernardus 12, both great belgium quads available from esprit.

Also worth picking up some 6 packs of the unibrou products (maudite, trois pistoles), and letting them age a bit. Can't go wrong for the price.

Other favourites of mine at the LCBO are:
Anchor Liberty Ale
Headstrong Pale Ale
Denison's Weissbeer

I've purchased all of the above trappist ales through espirit. I wish they were available individually or in smaller quantities so you can mix and match, as the price (24 340 ml bottles at about $6 a pop) is a bit steep. I wouldnt mind this price if you could mix and match the 24 bottles a little, but that would probably give Peter a headache. Still looking for La trappe Quad. I love that brew. Such a good slow sipper.

Where can I find the unibrou 6 pack? I have not seen this at the LCBO at all and Moudite and La Fin Du Monde are very much to my liking.
Last edited by Lukie on Fri May 07, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Thanks guys. These are all great suggestions, many of which I haven't tried yet. Right now, I'm all over Southern Tier's IPA. So refreshing.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

Lukie, what area are you located in?

Best option for the private/consignment orders is to find some people in your area that are interested in splitting cases. We do that here in the Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge area and it works great. We can all get a few bottles and not have to commit to a full case each.

The Unibrou products are available in 6 packs at the Beer Store. you can search on their website and it will show you which stores carry them. (they are under sleeman brewing, since they now own unibroue

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandd ... sp?id=2105
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandd ... sp?id=2021
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandd ... sp?id=2087
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandd ... sp?id=2020