Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quebec Beers

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Quebec Beers

Post by Ralphus »

Belgian mentioned starting a thread on Quebec beers a while back and I think it's a good idea. I found a thread on BA which listed some Quebec beers and that helped me out during a trip to Marche Jovi last weekend. As a result I've had an enjoyable week with some good beer:

Charlevoix La Vache Folle Milk Stout
Charlevoix La Vache Folle Armarillo DIPA
Charlevoix Dominus Vobiscum Triple
Trois Mousquetairs Imperial Grand Cuvee Wiezen

My regular stock is has been limited to the following:
DDC Dernière Volonté (thanks toqueboy for putting me on this)
DDC Peche Mortel and Corne Diable (now at the LCBO)
Charlevoix La Vache Folle ESB

What are others enjoying and recommending?
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique. This is a phenomenal beer!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Good recommendation. I'm enjoying one right now. Very nice smokey, chocolate, licorice taste and aroma. It's hard to believe this is a lager!
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

If you can get your hands on any of the Brasseurs Illimites, do it. Fantastic.

The Cascades IPA is a personal fav.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Really liked the Simple Malt IPA that a coworker brought back recently from Brasseurs Illimites.

Absolutely loved LTM Imperiale Weisen Grand Curvee and Octoberfest 2009. Last time I hit Quebec all 6 bottles of the Imp Weisen were gone by the time I checked out of the hotel.

Usually grab a couple Charlevoix La Vache Folle ESB when I hit Gatineau.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

[quote="sprague11"]Really liked the Simple Malt IPA that a coworker brought back recently from Brasseurs Illimites.
quote]

I like that one too. Next time, check out the health warning on the label. It's hilarious.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

The IPA is actually the worst of the series, imagine that. Barleywine, Imperial Stout and especially the delicious Scotch Ale are regulars in my fridge, along with Dieu du Ciel seasonnals. I havent had the porter yet.

If you can get a hold of the beers from La Voie Maltée, amazing also.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Anybody know of a place in Gatineau that's half decent for bottles that's open late? Getting into town after 9 next Friday and wouldn't mind taking something back to the hotel.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

sprague11 wrote:Anybody know of a place in Gatineau that's half decent for bottles that's open late? Getting into town after 9 next Friday and wouldn't mind taking something back to the hotel.
I think Marche Jovi/Marche Omni is open until 11pm.

JimC

Post by JimC »

New joint opened up late last week. They have an immense selection of Quebec Micros. This is now the go-to place for beer, blowing Jovi away.

http://www.brouehaha.com/

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

iguenard wrote:The IPA is actually the worst of the series, imagine that. Barleywine, Imperial Stout and especially the delicious Scotch Ale are regulars in my fridge, along with Dieu du Ciel seasonnals. I havent had the porter yet.

If you can get a hold of the beers from La Voie Maltée, amazing also.
Any idea what the hop - malt combo is for the barleywine? There's something in there that I don't dig.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Picked up the following at Brouhaha with limited trunkspace

Charlevoix Le Vache Folle 4 pack - Grabbed 3
LTM Kellerbier - Grabbed 6. I would have grabbed more but i'll be hitting the brewery in Mid July
LTM Mixed pack - I'll let friends experiment with the Bleu and Blanc, and Gladly keep those "murky dark" Rousse and Noirs for myself
DDC Blanche du Paradis - Grabbed 6
Also grabbed some sample-sized glasses, which means my fiancee has something to drink out of :lol:

Noticed that Au Maitre has been completely revamped. Will watch the sites for reviews of some of their relaunches before I buy.

Brouhaha might be the cleanest Beer store I've ever been in. La Trappe on Bellehumeur was virtually gutted when I stopped by, they look to be at least doubling their space for beer. Between the pickups and Brasseur du Temps and L'Autre Oeil, it was a productive trip.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

sprague11 wrote:1) Picked up the following at Brouhaha with limited trunkspace

2) Noticed that Au Maitre has been completely revamped. Will watch the sites for reviews of some of their relaunches before I buy.

3) Between the pickups and Brasseur du Temps and L'Autre Oeil, it was a productive trip.
1) No DDC seasonnals? I thought the ABT was out, or close to coming out. Also in QC the talk is all about the 12% eisbock coming out.

2) Significant use of the "imperial" term from what I remember. Tasted a few of them with caution given my experience with the brewery. Was pleasantly surprised, but its still not close to others available.

3) How did you find BDT? The Dumduminator doppelweizenbock on tap these days is damn fine. Also their guest beer just so happens to be La Buteuse from Le Trou du Diable. Boom.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm hitting Montreal and Quebec City in 4 weeks with a rented SUV so there'll still be plenty of time to try whatever i've missed from DDC and load up my basement. Of course I have a side trip to Vermont in there as well.

Dumduminator was my favorite of the bunch I tried at BDT. I really liked the layout of BDT - wouldn't mind catching a band there at some point. Good beers and the food was pretty good.