Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Oak Nutbrown on Cask

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

On Friday the 13th, (insert scary music here) I dropped off two casks of Nutbrown at the Blue Meaney. Each cask has been dry hopped differently just to challenge your tastebuds. One with Willamette and the other with Northern Brewer (hope I got them right). But we're not going to tell you which is which (insert evil music here). I'm not sure when these will be tapped. We only have two casks, so our cask production will be sporatic but worth the effort.
Let me know what you think
Cheers
Ken

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

K:

Can you let us know when the first of these two casks will be tapped? Looking forward to it.

- midlife crisis

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I looked in today but it appeared the Durham ales only are on hand pump. That is, the ESB and Signature. I do enjoy those but would like to try the Black Oak brown ale in cask form, and look forward to its availability at the bar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: old faithful on 2004-02-18 20:59 ]</font>

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Hey Ken,
No fanciness for the Judge?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Still not tapped?

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I haven't been down there but Ken told me a couple hours ago that it was on.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

The Black Oak Nutbrown Ale as of today has not been tapped so I tried (after a lapse of some time) the Signature Ale of Durham. A very fine pint it was, made me think I was in Manchester drinking Boddington as it was "way back when". The Signature is also reminiscent of Ron Keefe's very good cask IPA - Ron accents the malt a bit more, perhaps, and his beer seems a tad fruitier. Both Signature and the Granite IPA are very English-tasting real ales; I would be most surprised if either is not brewed with all-imported English hops.

Also, a tip of the hat to Blue Meaney for serving Signature in top condition, not always an easy thing to do with real ale.

It will be interesting to try the two Nutbrowns each dry hopped with a different variety. In my opinion, dry hopping or really any kind of hopping with English varieties suits English-style ales to the t. American-grown hops can work well but I like them in beers that are carbonated and meant to be served cold. The big minty/piny taste of most U.S.-grown hops seems less effective in real ale, particularly when dry-hopped.

Then too, taste is personal..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: old faithful on 2004-02-23 07:53 ]</font>

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Everyone
I was delivering to the Blue Meaney last nite and found that the Nut Brown Cask was tapped. I also found that it was good (and there was much rejoicing, YEA!!!!)
Please enjoy as it won't last long and I still won't tell you which cask is which. I'll leave that up to your educated pallets.
I am hoping to have more than one pint of each cask so I look forward to seeing a few of you there.
Cheers
Ken

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Asst. Grain Shoveller on 2004-02-25 13:54 ]</font>