Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What Ontario brews are you going to enjoy this long weekend?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

The_Jester wrote: Church Key Black IPA
Tried this for the first time at West 50 last Thursday. What a kick ass beer! Tons of roast, a little chocolate, loaded with West Coast hops, strong bitterness to finish. I loved it!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:My Saturday will involve a selection of Ontario wines.
Get of Jer's tits - Ontario makes killer Riesling and awesome vidal icewine. And Malivoire Red is an extremely showy wine for 12 bucks, with loads of Gamay character like a GOOD Cru de Beaujolais, plus a little bir of added Bourgueil-like structure from the Cabernet Franc this wine also has.

But I know you are just saying wine ain't beer, LOL and I stil have a growler of MS Pumpkin Ale to crack open... might be good with some grilled ribs since i'm off work next week.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:My Saturday will involve a selection of Ontario wines.
Get of Jer's tits - Ontario makes killer Riesling and awesome vidal icewine. And Malivoire Red is an extremely showy wine for 12 bucks, with loads of Gamay character like a GOOD Cru de Beaujolais, plus a little bir of added Bourgueil-like structure from the Cabernet Franc this wine also has.

But I know you are just saying wine ain't beer, LOL and I stil have a growler of MS Pumpkin Ale to crack open... might be good with some grilled ribs since i'm off work next week.

Yes, I was partially being facetious. But only partially. If I could pick any region that sells wines that are extremely over priced and lack the matching quality, sadly, it would always be Ontario. Perhaps a few whites are world class and also icewine. But in terms of reds, we are so far behind the 8-ball it isn't funny. Probably because our vintners are growing grapes they have no business growing.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
cratez wrote:Creemore Springs Kellerbier, and whatever Chancey's has on tap. Good to be back in Canada!
Hope you aren't going tonight Mikey. I was just there, and there is a huge wedding party taking up all tables at the bar plus the entire dining room.
Nope. But I'll be there tonight around 9ish. If you and Adil are coming, I'll bring some treats as well. Let me know!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I just enjoyed a Creemore Keller after wandering around a very humid downtown Ottawa for a few hours... man this is a quenching beer. A week in the fridge didn't seem to touch the flavour. Wonderfully refreshing, this might be my summer go-to.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Had some hoptical, Denisons Weiss, and Waterloo wheat today. Also had some home brew apa and everyone at the bbq was drinking it and loving it. Denisons was my fav of the night/weekend. I think i will be drinking alot of this seeing as the lcbo near me seems to stock it alot.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Two growlers of Grand River's Plowmans Ale helped me get through the weekend!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Cameron's Lager - it's been a very long while since I've had this. For what it is, it's a terrifically agreeable lager. I'd be so much happier if every bottle of MGD were instead this.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

A piece of Ontario in Alberta.......Grand River Curmudgeon while smoking some ribs.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I was up in the Ottawa Valley for the long weekend. My parent's have started stocking some craft brew for me when I visit. They had sixers of Sgt Major, Heritage Lager and Dark. I had two Sgt Major and a lager and all three were gushers. Although the Sgt Major were extra foamy they were drinkable if a little on the sour side. The lager was a drain pour. I was hoping for better things when I was within a 100km of the brewery. To be honest I didn't see the boxes and don't know what dates were on them but it was still another three duds from SI/Heritage.

My daughter fell asleep in the car a little before South River and when she sleeps I tend not to stop, so it was another trip past Highlander without trying their wares. I'll be going back for the August long weekend I hope and will try again to pick some up then.

All in all it was a poor weekend for beer but a great time in every other regard.

wilco

Post by wilco »

Spent Monday on the Islands with some Muskoka Pilsner Light and Hefe. Nice combo for a hot day with the skyline in the background.