Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release (Full list)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Judging by the LCBO in Newmarket, if it became private or ordered only to suit the demands of the community, there'd be nothing left save for Bud and Corona.
It could be argued that product demand evolves in lock step with what the industry actually promotes, and never without it. Hence 'requirements of a community' should include some challenging and palate-broadening products in all LCBO stores.

I think a few really backwards people managing LC stores forget this - and so they order jack squat for good beer selection. It's not enough for them to just order what has sold well in the past, they need to order tomorrow's beers as well.

Believe me, if you replaced all the Corona with say, an "easy drinking pale lager" from Ontario, you'd have people complainjing in hordes. You don't realize this.

If we are out of Bud Lime Light for even ONE NIGHT, all I hear from people is "how it is the only beer they really like".As if thery have tried every beer that exists. These people are the bane of my existence, and yet I serve them with a smile on my face. As sorry as I feel for these douchebags, I can't blame them for their shitty taste, or ass backwards palates. Point is, try to "force" something on someone and they just won't want it. They have to CHOOSE to want something else.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

SteelbackGuy wrote: If we are out of Bud Lime Light for even ONE NIGHT, all I hear from people is "how it is the only beer they really like".As if thery have tried every beer that exists. These people are the bane of my existence, and yet I serve them with a smile on my face. As sorry as I feel for these douchebags, I can't blame them for their shitty taste, or ass backwards palates. Point is, try to "force" something on someone and they just won't want it. They have to CHOOSE to want something else.
That's a good point. I, and I'm sure many of you, have often told people who hate beer that there's a beer for everyone. Yet often, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to find that beer for a given person. It's frustrating as hell, and I'm sure if someone approached beer with an open-mind they would find something they like, but it's as much mental as anything. Can't lead a horse to water and all that.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Believe me, if you replaced all the Corona with say, an "easy drinking pale lager" from Ontario, you'd have people complainjing in hordes. You don't realize this.
Who said craft beer should replace anything? That doesn't make sense. I meant stores who only sell Corona and Bud should also sell stuff that will broaden some people's palate - clearly not everyone. Craft beer is not taking over the world obviously. However LCBO store manglers act like "we got but light and it drink good, so why other beer?"
In Beerum Veritas

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

super excited to see the schneiders hopfen weisse made it. It looks like only my local lcbo has it so far. Picked up a sixer of it. Waiting for them to chill right now.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

icemachine wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Judging by the LCBO in Newmarket, if it became private or ordered only to suit the demands of the community, there'd be nothing left save for Bud and Corona.
The big one on Yonge and Davis? Seemed like a nice one when I went there least fall, just about every seasonal and craft was in the fridge
If not for 4 packs of Beau's and being a 2 minute drive I wouldn't bother. The store on Bayview and St Johns side road blows the Newmarket LCBO out of the water. The selection at the Newmarket stopre has tanked in the last 3 months.

And Len, I'll gladly move out of the area if you can find me a reasonably priced clean townhouse for less than 300 grand in Toronto ;)

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

phat matt wrote:super excited to see the schneiders hopfen weisse made it. It looks like only my local lcbo has it so far. Picked up a sixer of it. Waiting for them to chill right now.
What's the deal with this one? It shows up at one store in St. Catharines and nowhere else?

-Josh

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

detritus wrote:
phat matt wrote:super excited to see the schneiders hopfen weisse made it. It looks like only my local lcbo has it so far. Picked up a sixer of it. Waiting for them to chill right now.
What's the deal with this one? It shows up at one store in St. Catharines and nowhere else?

-Josh
this always happens, just wait it out

whats the warehouse have for this one Len?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
detritus wrote:

-Josh
this always happens, just wait it out

whats the warehouse have for this one Len?
Lots of this in every warehouse. From 1000-2500 bottles. Should be in stores this week.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

detritus wrote:

-Josh
Leave it to the big wigs at the BO to ship the first cases of their best seasonal somwhere in the middle of nowhere.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lukie wrote:
detritus wrote:

-Josh
Leave it to the big wigs at the BO to ship the first cases of their best seasonal somwhere in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, cause that was their nefarious plan all along. :roll: :roll:

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Lukie wrote:
detritus wrote: What's the deal with this one? It shows up at one store in St. Catharines and nowhere else?

-Josh

So I guess they did it without any contemplation at all. Probably picked the store out of a hat. Kind of fits with their pattern of doing things. Since you seem to work for this antiquated outfit, its small wonder you're one of their biggest apologists. How can you possibly defend your organization shipping the most hotly anticipated item of this release to one of the least populated areas, first? What would be the rationale behind doing this? Whats next? Shipping the first Westmalle bottles to Bancroft? Its a small matter, yet its demonstrative of the way things are usually handled at the Least Costumer Bothered Organization.
Last edited by Lukie on Fri May 28, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Say anyone know WTF is going on with the Schneider Hopfen Weisse ? St. Kits LCBO has had a supply sitting there for 2 weeks and none in any other store??

Len; please unravel this disjointed operational FUBAR for me if you can :lol:
Aventinus rules!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lukie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Lukie wrote: Leave it to the big wigs at the BO to ship the first cases of their best seasonal somwhere in the middle of nowhere.

So I guess they did it without any contemplation at all. Probably picked the store out of a hat. Kind of fits with their pattern of doing things. Since you seem to work for this antiquated outfit, its small wonder you're one of their biggest apologists. How can you possibly defend your organization shipping the most hotly anticipated item of this release to one of the least populated areas, first? What would be the rationale behind doing this? Whats next? Shipping the first Westmalle bottles to Bancroft? Its a small matter, yet its demonstrative of the way things are usually handled at the Least Costumer Bothered Organization.

I'm hardly an LCBO apologist, and I didn't defend anything either. Rather, I'm telling it like it is.
Though I appreciate the effort you've put into your post, I have one suggestion for you. Take your conspiracy theories back to Roswell. Better yet, sell the rights to the Illuminati or Dan Brown. Heck, I hear Elvis sightings are even on the rise.

This is a very simple process. I'll type it out here for you but if anyone needs a colour by numbers guide with very little text, message me and I'll mail one to your house. With appropriate crayons of course.

Beer arrives at warehouses across the province. (this particular beer is at many warehouses).

Warehouse workers put together skids of product to be delivered to said stores.
Said stores on the seasonal release program are slotted for said beers. Beers roll out to all of these stores within a week, give or take a few days. There is no particular person watching one single beer and deciding which store gets it first. There are thousands of SKUs and nobody is watching ONE fricking product. This beer will be in stores very soon.

Those interested in alternate theories, including the St. Catherines conspiracy, message me privately..........that I might discuss what is really going on here. A plan for St. Kitts to be at the helm of world domination!!! MUAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Lukie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

I'm hardly an LCBO apologist, and I didn't defend anything either. Rather, I'm telling it like it is.
Though I appreciate the effort you've put into your post, I have one suggestion for you. Take your conspiracy theories back to Roswell. Better yet, sell the rights to the Illuminati or Dan Brown. Heck, I hear Elvis sightings are even on the rise.

This is a very simple process. I'll type it out here for you but if anyone needs a colour by numbers guide with very little text, message me and I'll mail one to your house. With appropriate crayons of course.

Beer arrives at warehouses across the province. (this particular beer is at many warehouses).

Warehouse workers put together skids of product to be delivered to said stores.
Said stores on the seasonal release program are slotted for said beers. Beers roll out to all of these stores within a week, give or take a few days. There is no particular person watching one single beer and deciding which store gets it first. There are thousands of SKUs and nobody is watching ONE fricking product. This beer will be in stores very soon.

Those interested in alternate theories, including the St. Catherines conspiracy, message me privately..........that I might discuss what is really going on here. A plan for St. Kitts to be at the helm of world domination!!! MUAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
What conspiracy theories pal? My post clearly stated that they're probably doing this randomly without any thinking and that's exactly what you've confirmed in your answer.Thanks. My suggestion was that they probably should put some thought in deciding where these beers appear first. And considering the limited amount of time we have to buy them perhaps the first cases ought to go to the most populated areas (i.e., the areas with the most demand), rather than obscure back water locations that will inevitably have 90% of these bottles remaining after the summer. Maybe you should talk to your masters.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Lukie wrote: What conspiracy theories pal? My post clearly stated that they're probably doing this randomly without any thinking and that's exactly what you've confirmed in your answer.Thanks. My suggestion was that they probably should put some thought in deciding where these beers appear first. And considering the limited amount of time we have to buy them perhaps the first cases ought to go to the most populated areas (i.e., the areas with the most demand), rather than obscure back water locations that will inevitably have 90% of these bottles remaining after the summer. Maybe you should talk to your masters.
Although considering that the LCBO does little to no actual promotion for these releases I am not sure it matters where they get delivered first. And I think the fact that they don't do any promotion for these types of things is the bigger problem.