Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release (Full list)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

the voters don't give a shit.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

mintjellie wrote:the voters don't give a shit.
Not today perhaps. But this issue may come up in the future. I recall about 10 years ago when the topic of the LCBO sale seriously came up, most people supported this idea.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:the voters don't give a shit.
The politicians don"t even like Canada. And the idea of public money is a laugh. It;s like we have the most negligent landlord in the world -and we pay them our every last available cent.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

You guys are right.
I've given up on Ontario. Obviously, none of you are happy here either. And of course, we live in the only place on earth where government seemingly mismanages "our" money.

I've got a great idea. Let's all up and move to the "Democratic" Republic of Congo. I hear you get used to the constant civil war and genocide. Who's with me?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I've got a great idea. Let's all up and move to the "Democratic" Republic of Congo. I hear you get used to the constant civil war and genocide. Who's with me?
That's Heinekin/Primus country, they are very serious about their beer
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Belgian wrote:I was asking at Cooper Street about Hopfen Weisse, and apparently this one is now being pulled from the release. Inquiring further, there is a problem in the system with the product having both "Brooklyner" and "Schneider" on the label and - get this - since these are TWO distinct companies both already doing business in Ontario, it is impossible to enter the product using the current software.

This is why most of the HW stiock was held back, and they still can't fix the software problem. All beer must be return-shipped overseas at Schneider's expense (plus various fees), or else destroyed here without compensation.
This doesn't make sense. The product is in the system and I checked the # last night at work and it comes up fine.
Ya, this seems confusing (even for the LCBO). It is on the shelves in St Catharines already apparently. How did they manage that?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Belgian wrote:I was asking at Cooper Street about Hopfen Weisse, and apparently this one is now being pulled from the release. Inquiring further, there is a problem in the system with the product having both "Brooklyner" and "Schneider" on the label and - get this - since these are TWO distinct companies both already doing business in Ontario, it is impossible to enter the product using the current software.

This is why most of the HW stiock was held back, and they still can't fix the software problem. All beer must be return-shipped overseas at Schneider's expense (plus various fees), or else destroyed here without compensation.
Post subject: All seriousness aside ;)

:evil: That better mean you're taking the piss Belgian!!!

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Still enjoy the hopfen weisse. You guys sure are missing out right now. :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:You guys are right.
I've given up on Ontario. Obviously, none of you are happy here either. And of course, we live in the only place on earth where government seemingly mismanages "our" money.

I've got a great idea. Let's all up and move to the "Democratic" Republic of Congo. I hear you get used to the constant civil war and genocide. Who's with me?
Ontario is the best place on earth, we just need some bloody revolutions and burned cities to create a real social conscience & culture like the French have.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:

Post subject: All seriousness aside ;)

:evil: That better mean you're taking the piss Belgian!!!
I'm glad you can read! I just enjoy the extreme anxiety over every late release, and it's always the best beer, and there are always conspiracy theories.
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

We're not some anarchists and I certainly don't see grass greeener on the other side. We're just talking about beer in case you haven't noticed. And when it comes to beer, Ontario is likely one of the worst places in the free world when it comes to availability , thanks in part to the antiquated nanny like state organization you work for. Case in point: Hopfen Weisse (basically the only A level beer in this half ass summer release) finds itself in a single store in the back waters of Ontario, and is MIA everywhere else for 2 weeks now. Are you sure your lcbo comrades didn't nick the rest of the bottles for their private consumption? Wouldn't surprise me. My private order of westvleteren 12 was "sent back" according to border security and yet the Belgian store never got it back. Go figure.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

phat matt wrote:Still enjoy the hopfen weisse. You guys sure are missing out right now. :)

Don't get too comfortable. I can always use the shipping request to bring all your bottles here to Mississauga. :evil:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lukie wrote:

Are you sure your lcbo comrades didn't nick the rest of the bottles for their private consumption? Wouldn't surprise me.
Yep, you've got it all figured out now. All 5000 bottles or so were scooped up, in unison, by LCBO employees province wide. But just to piss of the conspiracy theorists, we allowed a little amount to trickle into St. Catherines. Well done sir, you've got us all figured out.

Don't worry guys, I've got the perfect remedy................

If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

An LCBO employee defending his little silly organization that we all loathe and is so defensive he can't even spot a little sarcasm. A needless government employee being defensive about his backwards, cash cow organization. Wow what a surprise. Steelback is

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Well done Lukie. Again, you've got it all figured out.
See, one of you types shows up around here every few months. Taking shots at me every chance they get, just because I work for the LCBO. Little do you realize that I work for the system we all have hatred for, but I CAN make a difference in the service I provide and the knowledge I provide, when it comes to beer. I make displays of craft beer at my store. I recommend craft beer to all my customers. I go over the heads of the managers and order shit in anyway, despite them not wanting me to. I send my customer's to Chancey Smith's to try every single great beer they can. I help our brewers move product and do my best to promote the industry we all love. I'm no LCBO apologist, despite your thoughts. Anyone around here can tell you I work WITH the system to try to make even a little change that I can. But at least I try. I've been thanked many times by many of our craft brewers for my efforts. I've provided this forum with insider info so many times it isn't funny. Occasionally, it is stuff I probably shouldn't be sharing.I just wish other LCBO employees had the same passions that I do. So don't be so quick to judge. You want Hopfen weisse? I'm the guy to get it to you if it doesn't show up.