Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Canada, Multiculturalism & The World Cup

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Jon Walker wrote:The Canadian equivalent is Victoria day where people send off fireworks and firecrackers to celebrate a long dead British monarch. Perhaps if you changed it to Wayne Gretzky day it would be more patriotic?
Nah... it's May "2-4"!

A celebration to kick-off all the long weekends of beers at the cottage or camping (even though the provincial parks have been 'alcohol free' on those weekends for many years now), eh?

shrike

Post by shrike »

Last time Canada actually played in the World Cup was 1986...anyone remember what kind of support they got?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Who cares about soccer. It's a shitty 80 minute long snoozefest that can be considered exciting if the game ends with a score of 1-0 after, like, 10 legitimate shots on net. Every once in awhile, some fucking moron will fall down when a fly lands on his knee and roll around on the pitch like he just got kneecapped with a sock full of pennies, just to give his team mates a rest. Beautiful game? :lol:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:Who cares about soccer. It's a shitty 80 minute long snoozefest that can be considered exciting if the game ends with a score of 1-0 after, like, 10 legitimate shots on net. Every once in awhile, some fucking moron will fall down when a fly lands on his knee and roll around on the pitch like he just got kneecapped with a sock full of pennies, just to give his team mates a rest. Beautiful game? :lol:
I feel the same but I can appreciate why so many like it. Certainly it is slower than baseball, making it tough to watch.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

shrike wrote:Last time Canada actually played in the World Cup was 1986...anyone remember what kind of support they got?
Tepid response at best. Bear in mind back in the late 80's TSN was in its infancy, there was no Sportsnet, no English Premier League on T.V., the fairly recent demise of the NASL...it was a fairly low watermark for football (soccer) in North America. The games were televised but Canadians in general showed little, if any, interest.

As for the laughable comments that soccer is boring...well to each their own. I've been to see NFL, CFL, MLB, NHL and NBA games. The only north American sport that is arguably more exciting is hockey. Baseball is truly like watching paint dry. I've rarely seen a sport that requires a lower baseline of true fitness and athleticism. It's a game where most of the players spend 3/4 of the game either standing around or sitting on a comfy bench. I was at the Blue Jays vs Yankees game recently, the one that went 14 hours, and I've never been more disinterested in a sporting contest. It was a total relief when it was finally over. No wonder it is a game that has ZERO traction in most of the world and only has a professional league in three countries. So much for a "World" series.

American (or Canadian) football is slightly better but again, 2/3 of the game is spent TALKING about playing rather than actually doing it. Even the referees talk to the crowd. Rugby is vastly more entertaining as a game since it rarely stops and requires constant and evident athleticism. No 400lb fatties who can barely jog the length of the field.

Basketball is fairly fun to watch but only because of all the crap going on in the stadium that has nothing to do with the game. Blimps firing t-shirts into the crowd, chimps on motorbikes at half time, scantily clad bootie dancers grinding to Lady Gaga. Perhaps your money would be better spent going to the circus and a strip bar?

Face it, North Americans have terribly short attention spans. I blame it on MTV and high fructose corn syrup. You can only concentrate on 10-30 seconds of actual play before requiring some sort of flashy or talky distraction to keep you interested. Soccer, as you call it, needs no cheerleaders, no organs playing canned music, no seventh inning stretch to shake off the boredom...it's a pure game, an almost constantly flowing game, a game of true athleticism and finesse. Put down the Rockstar energy drink and the PS3 and allow your brain to concentrate on the subtle beauty of the game ad the tactical magic of it and you just might understand why billions of us DO love it.

Having said all that the first round of the world cup is often a tepid affair. Teams too afraid to lose so they play defensively, too much of a longer term strategy. The later rounds however are very different and much more entertaining. But nothing really tops the Premier League for pure enjoyment. The game is played at a torrid and physical pace, the games are almost always cut and thrust and really entertaining. Better yet, go see a TFC game, soak in that atmosphere and then tell me the game and the environment of that game is boring.

P.S. I'm watching Spain vs Switzerland and it's anything but boring. What a great game!
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Jon Walker wrote:P.S. I'm watching Spain vs Switzerland and it's anything but boring. What a great game!
A shock result too!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

mintjellie wrote:Who cares about soccer. It's a shitty 80 minute long snoozefest that can be considered exciting if the game ends with a score of 1-0 after, like, 10 legitimate shots on net. Every once in awhile, some fucking moron will fall down when a fly lands on his knee and roll around on the pitch like he just got kneecapped with a sock full of pennies, just to give his team mates a rest. Beautiful game? :lol:
It's actually a 90 minute game :P

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

As I was watching the second half of the Spanish-Swiss contest, I was thinking, "I wish all the people who think footie is boring could be watching this right now." What a great half!

As for Canadian and American football, to each his or her own, but I cannot fathom how ten second bursts of violence separated by five minute meetings can be considered more exciting than an end-to-end game that never stops.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Steve Beaumont wrote:As I was watching the second half of the Spanish-Swiss contest, I was thinking, "I wish all the people who think footie is boring could be watching this right now." What a great half!

As for Canadian and American football, to each his or her own, but I cannot fathom how ten second bursts of violence separated by five minute meetings can be considered more exciting than an end-to-end game that never stops.
As Jon said, it panders to the short attention span of certain North American/Canadian 'sports' fans.

As for the Spain v Swiss game; what a great advert for footie!! Still, people would find fault that there was only 1 goal in the game :wink: Not every bloody sporting event has to finish 6-4 or 130-120 or 48-24.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Jon Walker wrote:Put down the Rockstar energy drink and the PS3 and allow your brain to concentrate on the subtle beauty of the game ad the tactical magic of it and you just might understand why billions of us DO love it.
I'd argue the reason why billions of you love it is because you grew up with the sport. Americans grew up with baseball and football. Canadians grew up with hockey. For most of the world, particularly the poorer parts, soccer is dirt cheap to play. Is it any wonder that it's so popular in those places?

You'll get no arguments from me with how boring baseball is. There are very rarely compelling games to watch (usually involving premiere pitchers.) Pitchers constantly walking around the mound, batters doing their idiotic routines between pitches, games would be tighter if the batters had to stay in the box unless brushed pack by a pitch and pitchers had a 10 second clock on them to throw.

I find basketball frustrating to watch. What's with the excitement at the start of the game when the score will be 100-98? What's with all the timeouts? What's with all the stoppages for minor contact? Taking deliberate fouls for strategic purposes?! The most exciting part of the game, the last two minutes, is chopped all to hell due to the timeouts and stoppages.

American football is dreadful. With four downs the ball is run way too much. Canadian is a bit better with more throwing and more offence. I'd sooner watch rugby or Aussie rules football over baseball or basketball.

Hockey is the one sport that combines speed, skill, offence, defence and flow together to make an exciting game. That's assuming the trap isn't being played. Thankfully that hasn't been the case since the lockout.
lister

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Torontoblue wrote:...
As for the Spain v Swiss game; what a great advert for footie!! Still, people would find fault that there was only 1 goal in the game :wink:..
Tblue, I agree. What an upset! But I do think that going forward a number of squads - like N. Korea, Switzerland, Japan, New Zealand- will never make it into the 1/4s. All squads have now played one game each, and have figured out that loopy ball and how to deal with that game-killing whacko vuvuzela. The best sides will have calmed their nerves and their natural strength will prevail. OTOH, England may also be bounced out! :)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Jon Walker wrote:I've been to see NFL, CFL, MLB, NHL and NBA games. The only north American sport that is arguably more exciting is hockey. Baseball is truly like watching paint dry.
NFL football is MADE for television. I would rather watch a game at a bar with friends than actually go to the games... So much so that the Dallas Cowboys have installed a giant TV in the stadium so you can enjoy both! The reverse is true for a TFC game. Baseball is made for playing, not watching. NBA is made for someone other than me. For me it has the reverse problem of soccer - if they score every two seconds, I stop caring. Hockey is made for the highlight reels and playoffs.

To each their own, this world cup is made for aggravating me and my pool picks! Stupid Switzerland and their underdog victories! I'd like to have a word with New Zealand too!!!! (Ironically the pool is making me cheer against teams I would likely have been cheering on without otherwise having a vested interest in it!!)

zane9

Post by zane9 »

JerCraigs wrote:...To each their own, this world cup is made for aggravating me and my pool picks! Stupid Switzerland and their underdog victories! I'd like to have a word with New Zealand too!!!! (Ironically the pool is making me cheer against teams I would likely have been cheering on without otherwise having a vested interest in it!!)
Willing to share your pool picks? :wink: I'm not in a pool, but I'm betting that USA, Brazil, Spain, and Germany will be in the semis.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

zane9 wrote: Willing to share your pool picks? :wink: I'm not in a pool, but I'm betting that USA, Brazil, Spain, and Germany will be in the semis.
I have been changing them as we go, the Yahoo pool doesn't require you to lock them in until 5 minutes before game time.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

To be fair, every game has its moments. I'm a hockey fan first and foremost but can get drawn into just about anything (with the exception of golf).

Joe Carter's homerun to win the world series, the Roughrider's penalty in the last Grey Cup, Steve Nash taking on Kobe Bryant in the last round of the NBA playoffs, most games have their moments. Some you just have a real hard slug to get to those moments. But from baseball, to football, to soccer, to curling, to tennis, I can get into just about anything given the right circumstances and a beer.