Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Project X - 2nd Thurs of each month

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote: There is a video out there somewhere of me drinking straight from the cask..................
I'm having flashbacks to Encino Man weazing the juice...

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

SteelbackGuy wrote: There is a video out there somewhere of me drinking straight from the cask..................
Nice! Sounds like you guys had more fun that night than we had at the Ceeps...we shouldn't have left :-?

JB

Post by JB »

And as an extra bonus, we'll also be bottling a limited amount of each beer. It'll range from a handful (helloooo barleywine) to maybe a dozen cases (mmm stout).

There may even be some fun and games...watch our blog for the details!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

How late does Project X usually run? I have wanted to attend one of these since the beginning but Thursdays are usually not good for me. Tonight however I could probably get to Great Lakes by 8 or a little after. Sounds like some fun beer tonight too.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Liver, prepare yourself!

A fine day for the event it appears.

8)
enjoi

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

toweringpine wrote:How late does Project X usually run? I have wanted to attend one of these since the beginning but Thursdays are usually not good for me. Tonight however I could probably get to Great Lakes by 8 or a little after. Sounds like some fun beer tonight too.
IIRC, they start around 6:30 with their regular brews and food... then the casks are tapped sometime around 8:00 (at least the times I made it down). So you should be good.

Unfortunately, I can't make it tonight... and I was looking forward to the 3J Barleywine!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

This will be my first time attending. Really looking forward to the beers. Should be a beautiful evening for a ride out along the Martin Goodman trail.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

[Some info about the next Project X...]

May's edition of Project X will be celebrating the warm weather by featuring two refreshing cask-conditioned ales.

Join us on Thursday, May 13, from 6:30-9:00 at the brewery to sample our first ever raspberry ale, Rasta-Berry Wheat, along with a hopped up and orangified Hop A-Peel.

If the weather is as warm as we're hoping for, we hope to have the courtyard and patio open.

Contact us at info@greatlakesbeer.com to get on the guest list or show up at the door.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Tried the Hop A Peel and the latest batch of the Orange Peel Ale at the brewery tonight. The latter packs a much bigger punch than I recall - noticeably more hops and orange flavour, to its benefit in my opinion. Hopefully that holds true for the bottles as well - worth giving a second look if you see it around.

It was good enough that I went back for more rather than going for the Devils Pale Ale (which also has a bit more hoppy bitterness than I recall).

Great spicy food tonight as well from Island Foods. (the meat patty kind of kicked my butt though! Spicy!)

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Unfortunately unable to make it to this month's PX. Cycling from Parkdale to Etobicoke in rainy, chilly weather was not preferable. Walked up to the Victory instead and had pints of Granite IPA (cask) and Mill St. Cobblestone Stout. Will definitely try to make it to the next GLBPX (weather permitting).

Soods

Post by Soods »

Next Project X looks to be happening during the week of Ontario Craft Beer week, so expect it to be on June 24th.

They will be doing the May 29th BBQ where there will be lots of bottles of their Miami Wiesse for purchase.

JB

Post by JB »

To give everyone plenty of notice, June's Project X has been moved to Thursday June 24 to coincide with OCB Week.

We're thrilled to include 3 other brewers to the event: F&M, Flying Monkey's and Muskoka. So for all you GTA'ers who enjoy sampling the fine beers of our non-GTA brewing brethren, come on out to Great Lakes for your chance to meet their reps and try a feature cask ale!

We're keeping our fingers crossed that we'll have warm weather, and can hold the event outside. BBQ time!

More details to come as we figure out exactly what we're doing for the event.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JB wrote:To give everyone plenty of notice, June's Project X has been moved to Thursday June 24 to coincide with OCB Week.
Booo! I'm on a plane out of town :( Oh well.

edit: You know whats awesome? Wednesdays... :wink:

JB

Post by JB »

A quick reminder - this month's Project X is on June 24th, NOT this coming Thursday.

July's edition is still scheduled for the second Thursday of the month (the 8th)

JB

Post by JB »

Project XXXX Update!!!

Our biggest Project X yet is almost here - this Thursday, June 24 from 6:30-9:00.

We'll be featuring at least 2 casks, including "My Bitter Wife IPA" and "Lackey's Caskey". In addition, Flying Monkey's, Muskoka, and F&M Brewery are all bringing a cask and their brewer and/or rep.

As long as the weather holds, we'll be holding the event outside on the courtyard, spread out like a mini beer festival. We'll have 2 BBQ's going, cooking up beer sausages and roasted red peppers.

****Avoid the traffic! Take the TTC or GO Train, we're only a quick walk!****

Admission is $10 and covers your food and first 4 beer samples.