Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring Release?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Has there been any news about the next LCBO release? Will it be Bitters and Pale Ales again? I don't recall seeing any posts about what beers we will be seeing. I hope that we aren't due for another "Beers of the World" promotion, AKA "Same Old Stuff, Different Shelf".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wheatsheaf on 2004-03-05 13:03 ]</font>

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

It will not be Pale Ales and Bitters...the call went out for Summer Beers and from the items selected they created both the Spring and Summer promos. Off the top of my head I don't recall what of ours is in Spring and I'm off to Chicago for a few days but I'll let you know when I get back.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

any news on this?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I asked a surprisingly beer-knowledgable staff member at my local LCBO about this a week or two back, and while he wasn't sure what was going to be included in the next full seasonal promotion, he did mention that there is an "Ales of England" themed promotion planned for March. It will consist primarily of beers that are on the general list, but will also feature a couple of less common beers, including Bombardier.

Actually - I just checked the LCBO website, and there's loads of Bombardier in stock all over the place. So maybe this promotion has already started.

Rubaiyat

Post by Rubaiyat »

Some time soon .... Huyghe's Floris Ninkenberry is coming out

Cheers,

Paul

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I don't think that there is a Spring release per se...in late May we've got Brussels White, Hook Norton Haymaker and Hop Back Summer Lightning coming out as part of the Summer promo.

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

Saw the Haymaker at Scrivner Sqare last week.

Looking forward to the Summer Lightning.

Cheers, Doug

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Haymaker and Summer Lightning in the same release??!? From an English-beer import perspective within Ontario, my cup runneth over. These are two of my very favourite English ales. (And I have never seen more than 1 of my top 20 English ales in any one promotion before.)

This is simply excellent news.

Is there any possibility of other Hook Norton or Hopback beers coming in on consignment if these do well? I for one would be very pleased to see Winter Lightning and Old Hooky made available...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: borderline_alcoholic on 2004-03-10 19:33 ]</font>

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I popped into my local LCBO today, and found that the shelf space used for the seasonal releases has been taken over by the "British Invasion" promotion.

Not much of an invasion, really, since almost all of the beers are from the general list - St. Peter's Ale, London Porter, Tetley's, Old Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, etc. - but they did have some Bombardier, so I grabbed a couple of bottles.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

That the next release is still months away is bad enough, but is it just me or does the Spring/Summer list look a bit slim. Surely we're going to be seeing more than just four beers. How about a good saison or two? Ditto for some biere de garde, IPA, Kolsch, etc. Maybe some Orval and Rodenbach Grand Cru? And why not bring back, after a long absence, one of the finest beers released by the LCBO, Schultheiss Berliner Weisse? By the way, that thud you just heard was me coming back to reality. :wink:

Also, it was mentioned elsewhere but if anyone missed it, Wild Irish Rogue (AKA Shakespeare Stout) is (theoretically) due for a St. Patrick's Day release, so that's something, at least.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wheatsheaf on 2004-03-11 16:29 ]</font>

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

It's been years since the LCBO carried a Kolsch (Gaffel was the last one I remember); I'd vote for that.

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Kölsh is a delicate little beer that is best fresh from the keg. A imported bottle version would likely be dissapointing for bartowelers.

Radek

Post by Radek »

I was asking about Kolsch for years . Bring it on . German Kolsch invasion , oh yeah !

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This is the full release, coming at the end of May.

Brussels White
Hook Norton Haymaker
St. Peter's Summer Ale
Hop Back Summer Lightning
Edelweiss Weissbier Hefetrueb
Fruli Strawberry Beer
Fuller's London Pride
Belhaven Classic Choice Fruit Beer
Floris Ninkeberry Gardenbeer
Mahr's Brau Wheat Beer

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Hmmm. Lots of repeats from last summer. That's too bad, as more new things would be nice, but at least we're getting the Brussels White.