Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

camping beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:Stonewall light lime and moosehead light lime are all I ever need to go camping!!
great news matt!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

When I'm camping (backwoods especially) I prefer my beer distilled and preferably of the single malt variety.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

If it is "car camping" then I'll take whatever tickles my fancy that day and feels appropriate for the season.

If it is canoe camping then it is tequila and Bailey's ( poured into separate plastic bottles ).

I grew up on the edge of Algonquin Park and have had their policy of no cans or bottles to be taken into the park drilled into me all my life. I just don't take cans or bottles interior camping no matter where the trip takes place.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Usually go car camping and bring whatever I feel like. Often larger bombers / bottles instead of a 6 pack or cans even. If I know it might get messy or we're canoeing then I switch to cans.

The Quleque Chose is great for the cooler camping nights...warm it up over teh fire and enjoy.

Keep forgetting about the Denison cans though...may give some of them a go next time.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Unless its car camping, I generally just take a flask for medicinal purposes, carrying extra weight on portages is just not worth it
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

I have several flasks dedicated to the task

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

icemachine wrote: I generally just take a flask for medicinal purposes,

Is that a joke or are you serious?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:

It's Water of Life for a reason.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

Then fill me in.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

Then fill me in.
I've never used it as such, but it can double as disinfectant. I have long known it has not got any medical benefits for those suffering from exposure, but to have a little nip when staring down a 1500m portage sure can ease the shoulder strain
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

Then fill me in.
I was really just referring to the fact that so many different liqours from different cultures have names that can, in some way, translate as water of life. Vodka is derived from the Russian for water. Whisky was Uisge Beatha in gaelic, which means Water of Life. In Latin, distilled spirits were known as Aqua Vitae. Scandanavia and Northern Europe have Aquavit. The French of Eau-de-vie. I wouldn't be surprised if we could think of more.

acromion23

Post by acromion23 »

I remember reading somewhere that Japanese Zen monks call sake "wisdom soup".
かんぱい。

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Twist on the original question:

Going camping next weeks with some friends from the Ottawa area. What should I ask them to bring me that's available there but not here? Any good sessionnable Quebec micros?

-Josh

notdan

Post by notdan »

detritus wrote:Twist on the original question:

Going camping next weeks with some friends from the Ottawa area. What should I ask them to bring me that's available there but not here? Any good sessionnable Quebec micros?

-Josh
First things that come to mind...

Trois Mousquetaires mixed 12 pack
DDC mixed 12 pack