Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good Pubs...

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Out of the Loop

Post by Out of the Loop »

Was browsing the site and came across the following statement.

"If I just want to relax with a pint, I'll trip over to the new room at C'est What or probably any number of other pubs on Cas's pubs with fire place list."

My apalogies for not crediting the authour as I do not remember who it was BUT the reason for this post is;
Where is the fire place list? Also, I have to say I went to the good pub section of the site and saw more poor pubs than good pubs that I know of. A poor pub to me is a Macro Pusher, cant say I do not visit them now and again but why are they on this list? BY having Macro pushers on the list it takes away from the authenticity of the list. If I want to check one of these pubs out and went to it, I would be dissapointed if it was a Macro Pusher. PLUS, Macro Pushers cant be all that hard to find.

Anyway....the fire place list would be appreciated, micro friendly or not.

Thanks,
OOTL

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Here is a pub which should be added to the list of pubs with fireplaces, but its addition will carry any number of caveats: Pimblett's on the south side Gerrard St. E., a few blocks west of Parliament. It has, or used to have, a beautiful wood burning fireplace in the downstairs bar.

Okay now for the caveats:
-I have not been there for a long time;
-the last time I was there, the place was filthy (and I hereby promise to go again this weekend in order to update this review);
-the owner's imprint is all over this place which can be fun if you're in the right mood -- she's a drag queen who will occasionally do herself up as Queen Victoria -- but she is also one of those self-declared English "eccentrics" who is in fact an old person suffering from low-grade mental illness, therefore everything about the place, from its décor through to the food and service, are wildly inconsistent;
-as I recall, the beer selection was rubbish (but I will check that out too on the weekend).

But it had the fireplace.

And speaking of self-declared English eccentrics, I will be glad to defend my namesake, "Uncle Bobby" Ash of CFTO-TV fame in the 60's and 70's, because the man still holds very fond memories for me. For someone who grew up in Scarborough in the 60's and 70's, a continuing fondness of Uncle Bobby is kind of like our version of Stockholm Syndrome. But I'm in good company because apparently Mike Myers still gets teary-eyed at the mention of Grand Prix Cola, a cheapo soft drink produce by the Mac's Milk chain.

....? Well that was a tangential post, wasn't it?

-Uncle Bobby

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

"Bimbo, Bimbo, I'm the happy birthday clown ..."

I too grew up in Scarberia, home of the hockey jacket.

Mike Myers was a classmate for 4 years (for that matter, Eric McCormack of Will & Grace fame for 7), and eerily similar, my wife shared a class with Jim Carrey out in Burlington.

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

I too grew up in Scarberia, home of the hockey jacket.
My hockey jacket was blue leather and read, "West Hill" on the back. An artsy chick at university slagged hockey and then stole it from me.
Mike Myers was a classmate for 4 years (for that matter, Eric McCormack of Will & Grace fame for 7), and eerily similar, my wife shared a class with Jim Carrey out in Burlington.
Leacock is in the house! So what the heck are you doing in the West End, Matt? You have abandoned your pedigree! If anyone in my family moves west of Yonge St., we stop talking to them.

I went to Laurier and shared classes with a certain sexual sadist and serial murderer.

Just to bring this string abruptly back on track, "The Tara Inn" on Kingston Road west of Midland has a gas fireplace just inside the door. And I think the old Stone Cottage Inn at Kingston Road and Scarborough Golf Club Road also has a fireplace. I am not certain what the latter pub is called these days (it had been "Darby O'Gill's"), but the building is a lovely reno of a 180 year old farmhouse. It was once featured on the architecture program on Rogers Cable 10.

Both pubs, as far as I am aware, offer an unfortunate selection of "imports".

-Uncle Bobby

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Actually, Mike was a classmate for two years at J.B. Tyrell Senior Public and two at Sir John A Macdonald before he switched over to Leacock. I remained a Black Scot. But I did play my hockey with Scarborough Civitan over at Leacock arena.

My parents still live in Scarborough; the last time I visited, a Sunday, I stopped off at Johnny's for a cheeseburger and fries, and found to my chagrin that the place no longer opens for business on that day! Never would have happened back in my day ...

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

My parents still live in Scarborough; the last time I visited, a Sunday, I stopped off at Johnny's for a cheeseburger and fries, and found to my chagrin that the place no longer opens for business on that day! Never would have happened back in my day ...
Mmmmm, Johnny Burger...!

Scarbs still has the best grub!

-Uncle Bobby

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Bobby - you might know my mom (and author of the pub walks) who was a teacher at Laurier during the era which you elude to.

j@beaus

Post by j@beaus »

If you're looking for cheap entertainment go to Johnny Burger and ask for lettuce on your burger(I don't think I have ever written that word before). Insist that you have been going for years and they had it last time you were there.